British man arrested in Bangkok for buying sex from underage girls in Hua Hin

webfact

11 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Every country has ID cards or drivers licence. That is how you open a bank account.

Why do you think tourists are all idiots?

I don't think tourists are idiots.

My country doesn't have ID cards. Does the UK?

So when you first arrived in Thailand and had a bit of hanky-panky, did you ask for them's licence or ID card?

Specific places have their specials, gay bars, pump stations, S&M etc., but I just thought that Hua Hin could have caught this person off guard if he is a tourist or not part of the local scene.

Anyway all speculation.

Hang him I say. 🙂

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, steven100 said:

nonsense ....   an 18yr old know if they are 18 or 17 ....    it's that simple.   But if they are 17yrs old and become involved in the sex trafficking, then the bar owner or hire authority in liable.   It depends if ... the girl is 18yrs .... and she knows what she's getting into ....    That's it ...    she is 18yrs old and understands the job she has undertaken ....   otherwise others should go to jail. 

don't make it complicated.  

this is common sense .....  I don't care Thai or Laos or anybody ....    she is legal age or not ... and if she is and she know what the job entales. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

English, not Scots. Don't tar us all with the same brush.

I've worked with two nonces, both were americans. 

One was called Prowler ! 

The story doesn't state which Country from Great Britain that he came from , he could have been Scottish 

18 minutes ago, uttradit said:

The only women I had looked 25yo+. Easy to tell they weren't too young.

It is easy to google Thai ID system these days. 

I think a pedo is a pedo. Their excuses are pathetic. Didn't know bs.

These guys booked a plane ticket online. They booked a hotel online. They know how to google stuff.

it doesn't matter what the tourist did.

If the girl is underage and she know what she's doing, then she is committing an offense by lying ( who would think in Thailand )   .

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

If the girl is underage and she know what she's doing, then she is committing an offense by lying ( who would think in Thailand )   .

Why should an adult aged over 30yo trust some random young female? Sorry judge I didn't know. In the US it's 30 years jail. This dude got 30 years for one offence.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

What offense?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Google will tell them which crimes are major or not. You can find out 5 laws in 10 minutes. Takes 50 minutes from airport to hotel in Bangkok.

Who, without criminal intent, looks up Google or whatever, to find out what crimes are major in any country they are about to visit?

Minor infringements regarding jaywalking, spitting, chewing gum etc come to mind as a reasonable quest but not for "major crimes"!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Why should an adult aged over 30yo trust some random young female? Sorry judge I didn't know. In the US it's 30 years jail. This dude got 30 years for one offence.

Maybe not if the judge is them/they

Just now, scottiejohn said:

Who, without criminal intent, looks up Google or whatever, to find out what crimes are major in any country they are about to visit?

Minor infringements regarding jaywalking, spitting, chewing gum etc come to mind as a reasonable quest but not for "major crimes"!

People planning on drinking might if under 21yo. People planning on driving or motorbike riding. People planning on using prostitutes. People planning on using drugs or steroids. So several types of people.

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

it is illegal to steal beach  sand from many countries. Passport is a privilege. If you are a woke momma's boy then you should not get a passport. Most of the info is available on your friendly  government's web site.

If you didn't get a Hep B shot before your trip you would probably blame it on the virus. Because your parents didn't teach any responsibility.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Case thrown out of court due to clean hands.  The premises and women had been inspected, taxed and okayed by the Thai government.

Clean hands is a doctrine that states that a party seeking relief in a court of law must have acted in good faith and without any wrongdoing themselves. Essentially, it means that a person cannot ask the court for help or protection if they have engaged in unethical or illegal behavior related to the matter at hand.

Mr. James you are due an apology and are free to go.

This is definitely not how Thailand works... but I am sure you know that, too.

If those girls were in a open bar in Hua Hin, you can bet, that police was directly involved, either as hidden co-owners or by asking for bribes. Such a business will always have protection.

Now, "other" police has come down from Bangkok to clean up the local mess, as often is the case (there has been a very similar case with Velvet Bar in Patong a year ago). Local police are put in inactive posts until the dust settles. Thai bar owners often get a slap on the wrist, the Swiss partner in Patong also had ample time to leave the country, so nothing will happen to them.

One here asked, how this guy was identified. There are a suprising number of cameras in Thailand, which work when the need arises. But more likely, he indeed either used a credit card to settle his bill (there was a list of customers caught this way in Patong, which seems outright stupid, because those girls were clearly and visibly not 21), or brought the girls back to the hotel where he obviously was checked in with his passport (the girls would have told police, to which hotels they were taken). This is not a Sherlock Holmes job at all.

Some here position themselves, that he could not have known. I agree, if the girls in this case were 17, but if this makes the news and somebody was arrested instead of a backroom deal, it is unlikely. "Ingorance does not protect from puinishment of the law" -- the guy was 35, so maybe naive, but he can ponder this question at length from immigration jail.

Edited by jts-khorat
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tingtong69 said:

Questions about this. Did he know they were under 18 if he picked them up in a bar ? And what is the legal age for sex in Thailand ? 

Either way, he was running, so it doesn't look great does it.

Legal age to be in a bar (working or otherwise) is 21; the girls are obviously not employed as prostitutes, but as 'entertainers'. Age of consent is 15 with knowledge and agreement of the parents as legal guardians (expect a marriage to be following really, really soon and I have never seen that between a Thai-Farang couple, while it is still quite common in Isaan between Thais). A girl under 15 is statutory rape as nobody would be able to legally give consent.

This still seems to create a grey area in the mind of some between 15 and older, but trust me, that does not really exist. Real consent by the girl herself is possible as soon as she becomes a legal adult, eg at 18.

Edited by jts-khorat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tingtong69 said:

Questions about this. Did he know they were under 18 if he picked them up in a bar ? And what is the legal age for sex in Thailand ? 

Either way, he was running, so it doesn't look great does it.

Legal age for girls in a bar is 20, there is no legal age for prostitution, it's illegal. Sex with a minor is under 18, under 15 has harsher penalties. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

If you are a visitor and not a regular at the bar scene, how would you know a girl is underage?

So you pop into a bar for a drink, have a few, then expected to know if a girl (first of all, is a girl, then is under or over 18 years old [if that is the age].

I was in Manilla staying at this hotel and 2 young Americans were having a great time, then I didn't see them for about a week, then They came in one morning and quickly left.

Seems they met some girls at the local Mac cafe.

2 am in the morning so said non-uniform, gun toting undercover police took them out of the hotel and kept them for ransom because the girls from the Mac cafe were underage.

They had to withdraw money from their ATM for the police then off to the airport. 

Boy were they scared.

18 is not the age to work in a bar,they need to be 21 for that.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am not sure about deliberate setups, but I have heard of guys getting into major trouble here, for being found with underage gals. As an American, the laws in the US apply to all US passport holders, worldwide. Often the Thai cop will demand 100,000 baht, if she is 17, or one million baht, if 16 or under. You do not have it? You are turned over. Many guys end up on planes with an assistant DA dispatched from DC, in handcuffs, facing federal statutory rape charges. Unless you have millions to throw at a lawyer, you are looking at 10 years in a federal pen. And you will be on the sex offender list the rest of your life.

Many will dispute this. I have spoken to lawyers about it, and it is correct info. And the US government is over zealous about the underage thing. Not worth it. Always best to check if she looks really young. If she does not have ID, that is real trouble. Do not proceed.

The law changed in 2003, when the PROTECT Act was enacted. Prior to that, sex with minors abroad was covered by Customs statutes, which required proof that the US citizen left the US with the intent of having sex with persons under the age of 18 - something that was very difficult to prove. (It's also worth noting that both Jerry Lee and Elvis married teenagers. Laws in the US are peculiar in that many states allow marriage to someone below the age of consent, as long as their parents agree.)

Under the PROTECT Act, there is no need for the government to prove intent. If an American has sex with someone under age 18 while in a foreign country, that's a crime, period, even if that sex isn't against the law in the country where it took place.

Next thing, every American who is somehow involved in an abortion anywhere in this world, including if he is the father, will be punished.

Yes, I made that up. But I wouldn't be surprised if it will happen.

Every country has their laws, which are for that country. Why don't Americans accept that? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

If he actually sought young girls out then he deserves what he gets.

Why do bars allow young girls (>=16) to work in the bars?

It's simple, because many (most?) guys who visit bars want young and innocent girls. That's why the owners employ them. It's not really that difficult to understand. 

I know this because I know a couple of bar owners. That is reality in Thailand. And obviously the police also know what's on. 

4 hours ago, uttradit said:

Every country has ID cards or drivers licence. That is how you open a bank account.

As far as I know the USA has no ID cards.

I wonder what the people over there do if they never had a driver's license or the police confiscated it.

Do they show their library pass to open a bank account?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1