Raw onions (from local markets) on sandwiches: OK?

Does anyone know if it is OK to enjoy raw onions from local markets on sandwiches?

Any gastrointestinal hazards in doing so?

The other day, I made a tuna sandwich using Mayo and onions purchased at the local market.

And, I now cannot say that I am in fine fiddle.

Would you use locally grown onions, purchased at the village market, on your sandwiches?

I think I may steer clear of doing this, in the future.

Would the Earle of Sandwich agree?

Tks for any advice.

Or, is it just me, and others have no qualms about using raw onions on their sandwhiches?

Thank you.

Regards,

Gamma

image.thumb.png.5019bfbc1e1161781d878658ec1346c2.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Raw onions can cause stomach issues but have never done so for me. I eat raw onions in salads a lot. Was the tuna opened on the day? Did you say mayo? You're going to die.

My concern was that the onions might have been grown with questionable fertilizer, is all, mostly.

Who knows if anyone is using nigh soil, for example, these days!

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

My guess is that the mayonnaise is the more likely cause of your less than "fine fettle". Especially if homemade using raw eggs.

No.

it was not the Mayo, that caused my distress, I am quite certain.

But, here is an image you, and I, might enjoy...

image.png.e5a7ad2b1943cb3ae29bca2bc6a8255d.png

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

My concern was that the onions might have been grown with questionable fertilizer, is all, mostly.

Who knows if anyone is using nigh soil, for example, these days!

I don't think that would be an issue. You should always rinse them of course. Bread of any kind, especially white bread is known to cause acid reflux and does so for me. Cut the bread right down and use whole grain only if you must eat bread.

39 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You're going to die.

I would be banned if I gave the answer I wanted to give!

But as I do not believe he/it is an actual living being I will for once keep quiet about my true thoughts WRT to it!

20 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

But as I do not believe he/it is an actual living being I will for once keep quiet about my true thoughts WRT to it!

Thank you for your, hitherto unnoticed, sensitivity, this time.

Either way, if it makes both of us happy, I see no reason in your not expressing your thoughts in a more candid way.

I can take it with complete equanimity.

I am HAPPY to take it, in fact.

I have many good friends from the UK.

Some from Scotland, too.

Note:  Anything you might say to me, for sure, cannot be quite as bad as ingesting a questionable onion.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think someone is probably trying to poison you after viewing your threads on AN. I would be extremely careful if I were you.

• Agree 1

Any vegetables (and fruit) can be contaminated with bacteria or viruses.  E.coli from natural fertiliser or from animals on the farm, and Hepatitis A from people handling the fruit & veg are the most common risks.  But in general raw onions are not often associated with food poisoning as they have a (slight) anti bacterial effect and the peel gives some protection.

Using a vegetable wash is a good idea though.

As mentioned earlier, the mayonnaise or the tuna is more likely to be the issue.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I guess many people would be banned if they answer that nonsense post honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I think someone is probably trying to poison you after viewing your threads on AN. I would be extremely careful if I were you.

I very much doubt it.

However, more apropos to this Topic, and as you probably know, I spent most of my life in Taiwan.

And, in Taiwan, it is not the habit of people there to eat fresh salads, or fresh vegetables.

The reason was obvious, and the reason was that Taiwan growers used to use night soil, as a matter of course.

Have you ever seen Chinese eat fresh vegetables?

Personally, this is kind of a rare thing on most tables.

Therefore, I will change my culinary habits a bit, now.

I will never eat raw anything....other than raw chicken larp (laab) in Thailand.

image.png.a716090d8e3b53ed215f6a47c044ae3d.png

image.png.6ae19efdeff1e71f76fd164755724398.png

And, it is best to, often, take a deworming pill after dining on raw laab,  IMHO....

This is what my Thai teacher always told me, anyway.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Laab moo or laab gai is my favourite Thai dish but Isaan style rather than Northern style (which my GF eats regularly). The only time I ate it raw was Isaan style in Udon containing raw beef/buffalo. I can't say that I enjoyed it. 

By the way:

One exception to the rule that most Chinese do not eat raw vegetables is the eating of raw cloves of garlic, whole, with noodles, or as a compliment to many dishes.

It is TRUE that Chinese people enjoy eating raw garlic, and I do, too.

I don't know if the garlic, itself, has some antimicrobial action which makes the eating of raw cloves raw OK.

However, I can attest to the fact that I have never gotten sick, once, from eating raw garlic cloves.

And so, instead of putting raw onions on my sandwiches, from this day hence, now that I have learned my lesson, I will always substitute raw garlic, slicked thinly, as a substitute for the onions.

Those onions truly gave me both a tummy upset and a headache, for sure....

4 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Laab moo or laab gai is my favourite Thai dish but Isaan style rather than Northern style (which my GF eats regularly). The only time I ate it raw was Isaan style in Udon containing raw beef/buffalo. I can't say that I enjoyed it. 

Please stay away from the raw chicken laab, please, if you value your health....is my suggestion.

All Thai food is great, in my opinion.

It's just the raw chicken that I draw a line at eating....

Thai food is GREAT!

I eat raw sliced white and purple onions, in salads on burgers on tacos, from Big C, Makro and Foodland and never had any problems.

My guess for your issue is the mayo, or the canned tuna. Mayo can be deadly - what's the best before date? was it always refrigerated? Tuna - what's the canning date, produce of what country? Bacteria spreads like wildfire in the heat and humidity

Edited by Banana7
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I eat raw sliced white and purple onions, in salads, from Big C, Makro and Foodland and never had any problems.

My guess for your issue is the mayo, or the canned tuna. Mayo can be deadly - what's the best before date? was it always refrigerated? Tuna - what's the canning date, produce of what country? Bacteria spreads like wildfire in the heat and humidity

I, too, have never had any problems with eating vegetables sold at Lotus or Tops.

My guess is that it was this particular vendor at a small village stand.

Anyway, I guess I will now completely swear off raw stuff, ....for....the....

Rest of my life.

a.  Absolutely ZERO problem with the canned tuna.

b.  Absolutely ZERO problem with the Mayo, which is Hellman's.  FINE stuff, this Hellman's.  ZERO problem with Hellman's, and I swear by it.  LOVE IT.

c.  Very little heat or humidity in my house.  I have my ACs running 24/7/365, and keep the temps down to about 22, or below.  Humidity is always below about 65%.

d.  After opening, I religiously refrigerate the Mayo, within minutes of use.  Zero problem here.

==========

There is actually a very good reason that the Chinese on Taiwan, and in Mainland China, stir fry their veggies, and rarely, if ever, eat raw vegetables.  They cannot be sure in what conditions they were grown.

Many years ago, I had never seen a Chinese guy eat salads...haha....and I hate raw salads, too.

Onions are wonderful with Mayo and pork, or chicken, or beef.

But, from now on....

No raw onions for me.

==========

I like red onions, the purple kind, but I have not seen the good kind here.

Small price to pay, to not eat raw onions, I guess.

And, as I mentioned above:  I feel little reticence about eating raw garlic cloves, which I also love, and do not worry me, since I am never close enough to women to bother them.

I wish all vegetables, fruits, meats and seafood have a sign that states "produce/product of X", X being the country. I never want to eat Chinese products. Most stores and products never state where the products are from.

9 Impressive Health Benefits of Onions

Onions are highly nutritious vegetables that may have several benefits, including improved heart health, better blood sugar regulation, and increased bone density.

Onions are members of the Allium genus of flowering plants, which also includes garlic, shallots, and leeks.

They’re delicious, versatile, and relatively cheap, and they boast a wide range of healthy vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds.

The medicinal properties of onions have been recognized for thousands of yearsTrusted Source. Athletes in ancient Greece supposedly used onions to purify their blood, while medieval and traditional doctors prescribed them to help treat headaches, heart disease, and mouth sores.

Read on to discover 9 health benefits of onions.

onions on a cutting boardShare on Pinterest

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, still kicking said:

9 Impressive Health Benefits of Onions

Onions are highly nutritious vegetables that may have several benefits, including improved heart health, better blood sugar regulation, and increased bone density.

Onions are members of the Allium genus of flowering plants, which also includes garlic, shallots, and leeks.

They’re delicious, versatile, and relatively cheap, and they boast a wide range of healthy vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds.

The medicinal properties of onions have been recognized for thousands of yearsTrusted Source. Athletes in ancient Greece supposedly used onions to purify their blood, while medieval and traditional doctors prescribed them to help treat headaches, heart disease, and mouth sores.

Read on to discover 9 health benefits of onions.

onions on a cutting boardShare on Pinterest

I have always loved onions.

However, from now, and ever after, I will cook my onions, unless....

I get them from a reliable source.

Have Tuna mush fajitas every week, (tinned tuna, sweetcorn, onions, cherry or normal tomatoes, red/green peppers, salad leaves plus whatever needs finishing off). All bought from Lotus or Big-C.

Use red onions as prefer the taste when eaten raw. Never had a problem.

Have found the tuna flakes are more liquid / broken down out here compared to Europe/ UK. Put this down to excessive ambient temperature during storage , so keep my tuna tins and especially smoked anchovies in the fridge.

Heinz mayo and aioli as a binding ingredient.

Biggest problem I now have is sourcing Aioli, none in Lotus or Big-C for the last 10 months, even the Harrods foodhall of Pataya (Friendship Supermarket) no longer stocks it. Definately a first world problem.

29 minutes ago, RayWright said:

so keep my tuna tins and especially smoked anchovies in the fridge.

I do the same with my canned tuna.

I buy about 150 cans of tuna from Tops, at one time, in the cardboard packing cases.

I buy a mix of 75% tuna steak, and 25% tuna sandwich.

Can't figure out which I like best.

By the way....TOPS tuna is the best I have found here.

I am not sure which OEM does the packing for Tops, but they provide a very HIGH quality product, for sure.

Also, the Tops brand is the best quality and amount for the price.

I have been buying Tops tuna for about 10 years.  Always very consistent quality.

I would be lost without Tops tuna, in fact.

Note:  I want to be clear....  The tuna is NOT the problem, and neither was the Mayo.  I am sure of this.  It was the onions!

Edited by GammaGlobulin

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Any vegetables (and fruit) can be contaminated with bacteria or viruses.  E.coli from natural fertiliser or from animals on the farm, and Hepatitis A from people handling the fruit & veg are the most common risks.  But in general raw onions are not often associated with food poisoning as they have a (slight) anti bacterial effect and the peel gives some protection.

Using a vegetable wash is a good idea though.

As mentioned earlier, the mayonnaise or the tuna is more likely to be the issue.

It was the onions...believe me.

And, as you just stated, contamination with bacteria is possible, although I would say that viruses are not likely.

Also, the fertilizer issue must be considered.

This is why, I think, big box stores guard against this by doing quality control in selecting their suppliers and growers.

Such quality control of growers might not be as likely with small vendors in villages, for example.  And, this was my thinking, too.

Note:  I worry that some readers here might not understand the MEANING of Local Markets.

For the purposes of this Topic, we can define local markets in this way:

image.png.837c76d5a8b698b0e86720e30b67b1b7.png

But also, when talking about local markets, we can distinguish Big Box Stores from the local markets that you might find very close to your house, having vendors who buy and sell very locally supplied produce.

Just to be clear that I am not, here in this Topic, talking about the major Big Box Stores, such as the ones we all know....

OK?

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

I wish all vegetables, fruits, meats and seafood have a sign that states "produce/product of X", X being the country. I never want to eat Chinese products. Most stores and products never state where the products are from.

When I was younger, and living in the USA, I used to eat those big purple onions as if they were apples.

I loved to take a huge bite out those onions, and feel the burn, and the onion vapors rise up through my nasal passages.

I still love to eat a few cloves of garlic, as if they were Chiclets, once in a while.

And, as I say, when having Chinese soup noodles, a bite of a large clove of garlic is totally de rigueur, if one is from the north, or one is a Beijinger.

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When I was younger, and living in the USA, I used to eat those big purple onions as if they were apples.

I loved to take a huge bite out those onions, and feel the burn, and the onion vapors rise up through my nasal passages.

I still love to eat a few cloves of garlic, as if they were Chiclets, once in a while.

And, as I say, when having Chinese soup noodles, a bite of a large clove of garlic is totally de rigueur, if one is from the north, or one is a Beijinger.

As a youngin', I use to avoid onions on everything.  First thing I'd say after ordering a hoagie or cheesesteak ... NO ONIONS.

Now, I put them on or in most things; raw, fried, pickled.