Changes at my local barber.

SmokeandIce

My wife has had a hair salon for the past 20 years. In the 8 years I have known her she charges the same for thais as farang.  In the last 7 years her landlord has raised rent 500 baht every year. But her prices haven't.  Until this year. The land lord raised the rent 2,500 baht. I explained to my wife she must pass the  increasing expenses on to the customers for her to make a profit.  She has a very busy shop. But is making less money today than she did 7 years ago because she hasn't adjusted her prices to the increasing rent , electric and product cost. 200 baht for a men's cut isn't over charging in my opinion.  Many of the shops around us are. She deserves to make a decent living. 

I use a barber in ThongLo, 120 Baht, been that price for at least the last two years, and 100 Baht for a shave. Same price for all customers. Further up the road, one of the trendy actor-owned branches charges 460 baht for a cut.

I wouldn't I really doubt he is too worried it may be that he only wants t cut Thai hair less picky.

I look around and find one that gives good service. A lot also has to do with their rent.  It may be that they raise it for you so that Thais can afford.

Who knows, and does it really matter?  Go find a nice girl who can cut your hair fora reasonable price 

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I feel sorry for you, my barber charges 60 baht and has done so for 10 years.

But of course this is in Isaan and not the big smoke or PM2.5

Not only Isaan, I live nearby Kaeng Krachan,

and here in the local barbershop, it is also for 50 thb while I always give  hundred.
If you come to the tourist place like Hua-hin they dare to charge 300 thb, and another even 400 thb, the most irritating thing is at these barbers they don't even listen how you want it cut.
That is why I have been going to the local barber here for years, and she is always done in 15 minutes, and never have to wait.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Some time ago, I went to a local mini mart. Bought six bottles of soda water. The old guy told me I had to pay 5 baht deposit, per bottle. I said ok. Went back with my bottles later, and wanted to buy some more. He quoted me a price that did not take into account my 30 baht deposit. I said I get the deposit back, and then pay you for the water, right? He said no, the deposit is one way! I would have been upset, if I was not laughing so hard. I said no, farang is one way, that way, and never come back. I took my bottles and left. It was well worth it. Have been telling that story to my friends for years. We all love it!

I have had hundreds of these kinds of encounters here in LOS. Always amazed by them. There is a complete disregard for the future, for future patronage, for the idea of loyalty, and rewarding you for such. It has happened with merchants I had been dealing with for years. Over tiny amounts of money. Of course, they lose me for life. But, they do not seem to care one iota.

I am a business owner. I will do nearly anything to retain a loyal customer. Whatever it takes. A full refund, an exchange, just tell me what you want. Here? None of that. Tomorrow? Why think about tomorrow, when I can make an extra 30 baht today?

The tale of the One Way store. Great stuff. You could not make this stuff up, if you tried!

Wonderful story.
We have lived here long enough to know what the Thai lack.....

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not been to a barbers in at least 60 years , just had my ex wife and current

one cut my hair and beard , just think of the money i have saved, and over time they

get good at it ,and it's as good as any barber. it's not rocket science .

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

At least two barbershop in CNX that I know of charge 200 Baht. I will not complain about CNX prices because last week I paid $35 for a haircut at a barbershop in Southern California  

The price is not the issue, the dual charging is....  That was pretty clear in the Op (and I agree with him).

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely. Tell them the policy is offensive and abusive. And tell them they have lost a customer for life. It likely will not mean anything to them. But tell them anyway. Tons of good barbers here, and most are more reasonable. 

4 hours ago, Sumiyoshicho said:

I'd tell them why they are losing you as a customer. You can find a non discriminatory priced barber for sure. 

Exactly...  Ask them how much they are charging Thai's... They will be uncomfortable answering because they know what they are doing is wrong...   tell them their dual pricing is insulting, tell them you will go else where.

Even if they change back to the Thai price - go elsewhere, I wouldn't give any business that operates this way any money.

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

first world problems, vote with your feet, it's really not worth getting het up about.

I definitely agree, vote with your feel, its not worth getting upset about... BUT, its definitely worth letting them know the practice is offensive and they have lost business. They won't care of course, but the more an issue of dual pricing is contested the less it will happen.

• Agree 1

I am sure the OP is sensible enough to realise that after going to this barber shop as a regular customer for 10+ years that a brief question/statement in basic Thai will highly likely confirm that you can get the Thai price.

If the issue is their practice of double pricing, then you can go always go elsewhere.

I didn't see it on here but recently there was a video of a European customer ranting at a barbershop in Pattaya and he ended up clipping the hairdressers own hair in a fit of rage before running out without paying.

I could see why they might want to charge a premium to foreigners (tourists) given the challenges in communication and the often higher expectations from foreign customers when compared to the local working class Thai people who would typically frequent the 60-80-100 Baht barber shops. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Bumped into the barber months later at a local supermarket; he approached me and said, that I - of course - would be categorized into the Thai pricing.

Vote with your feet; no big stink or show, just walk away - but make sure they know why you're doing the walk 😉

So, I hope you continued to vote with your feet - it appears he still wants to dual charge other foreigners - he hasn't learned a thing, so why give him your business ?

20 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

I have lived in Thonburi across the river from Bangkok for over 10 years and during that time I have been going to the same small local barbershop.  When I first went there, haicuts were THB 100 and I always tipped 40 baht.  A few years back, the cost of a went up to 120 baht; understandable and no big deal.  Today I went in fot a haircut and a sign read "haircuts 200 baht." A big jump I thought but it is what it is.  My Thai friend was with me and he told me the price for Thai is still 120 baht; only the cost for non Thai is 200.

I think I will change barbers, wondering if I should tell them why.

Yes, definitely tell them why! Double pricing for everything now? 🤭

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So, I hope you continued to vote with your feet - it appears he still wants to dual charge other foreigners - he hasn't learned a thing, so why give him your business ?

Well, luck has it, that there are plenty of alternatives and no, by principle, I would not go back! 

5 hours ago, bbko said:

What possible out come is the OP expecting? A deep bow and wai and immediate lowering of the price? Not likely.  There's 100's of barbers in everyone neighborhood, find one that suits your liking, no need to kick up some drama dust on the way out the door.

Some people just don't lie down easily.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

I have lived in Thonburi across the river from Bangkok for over 10 years and during that time I have been going to the same small local barbershop.  When I first went there, haicuts were THB 100 and I always tipped 40 baht.  A few years back, the cost of a went up to 120 baht; understandable and no big deal.  Today I went in fot a haircut and a sign read "haircuts 200 baht." A big jump I thought but it is what it is.  My Thai friend was with me and he told me the price for Thai is still 120 baht; only the cost for non Thai is 200.

I live n Thonburi, used to be 60 then 80, now 100, they usually all put the prices up together, anyone not doing it get leant on, so a barber told me. Most have the prices marked up, dont go in once that has not

Edited by proton

23 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

I did experience it once. There was a price list but only in Thai. Unfortunately the guy didn't know I could read the Thai. He cut for the real price.

39 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I used to pay 100 baht at my local barber in Bangkok 

Then when Covid struck bought my own clippers 

Wife or son cuts my hair once a month no problem 😊 

Saves a lot of explaining how you like it.

On 2/6/2024 at 3:10 PM, SmokeandIce said:

Don’t go as often he will soon get the message I’ve used my barber for a number of years I go every week I give him 160 baht at Christmas and SONGKRAN I give at least a 500 baht tip as yet he has never mentioned an increase to me if he did I would go once a fortnight rather than weekly I’m only in the chair for 20/30 minutes 

Oh ffs 

• Confused 1

Would you really be breakijng the defamation law by naming the shop and stating they charge more for haircuts for farangs?

9 hours ago, PMZ said:

I use a barber in ThongLo, 120 Baht, been that price for at least the last two years, and 100 Baht for a shave. Same price for all customers. Further up the road, one of the trendy actor-owned branches charges 460 baht for a cut.

I'll hazard a guess and say that you'll get a proper style cut at the 460 baht place, versus a hack job for 120 baht.

I used cheap places for a while and got dodgy haircuts but thankfully I found a nice place on Silom that gave me a nice new style for only 350 baht.

I even got a few compliments about it from my friends, that never happened after I went to the el cheapo places.

It's near the gay area, not that there's anything wrong with that.

One barber tried double pricing in Udon Thani about 5 years ago. Got reported on the local forum, he lost a few customers. Not heard the dual pricing mentioned again, so i expect it was quietly withdrawn.

The barber i use, large shop with up to 3 barbers, same price as Thai, 120 baht.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 7:21 AM, new2here said:

Here’s my take..

I don’t really like so-called dual pricing..  but I acknowledge that it exists in some areas of the thai economy and isn’t an expressly prohibited practice under law - and also exists in other countries as well.

I also acknowledge that the increase from 120 to 200 is, as a percentage, quite steep.. however, I must also acknowledge that even at 200, it is, on a relative basis, still cheap when compared to haircuts in other more “western” countries.. and yes, it’s also fair to recognize that prices don’t exist in a vacuum in that wages also play into the level of prices.

However, for me, one thing I’ve long remembered is that nothing grows out slower than a bad hair cut… so.. in my mind, since I don’t get a cut all that often (for me it’s once every other week) IF you like the quality of his/her cut and you’re happy with it, it just might be worthwhile to stay with him/her, pay the B80 difference — and consider that like insurance against a bad cut had you risked it and gone somewhere new..

Just my take on it 

Agree.  And, he can always skip the tip.  If the barber asks about it he can say he thought the tip was included in the new pricing for customer convenience.

On 2/6/2024 at 3:31 PM, Gecko123 said:

I'd go in there with a couple of online screen shots of home clippers and ask him which brand of clipper he would recommend. I bought a really nice one for about 1700 baht right after Covid hit, and haven't been back to my barber since. Every now and then I kind of miss the camaraderie, but I also remember he made comments to the other customers about my shoe size just about every time I came in for a trim.

Yes, thats what i did too, but i have to admit i havent fully got the hang of it yet. 

Screenshot_20240208_094614.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2024 at 8:22 PM, Lemsta69 said:

I'll hazard a guess and say that you'll get a proper style cut at the 460 baht place, versus a hack job for 120 baht.

I used cheap places for a while and got dodgy haircuts but thankfully I found a nice place on Silom that gave me a nice new style for only 350 baht.

I even got a few compliments about it from my friends, that never happened after I went to the el cheapo places.

It's near the gay area, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Your post while well written is mostly wasted on this forum.At least 90% of old codgers on here are slapheads or comb over merchants.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1