Corruption potential in the 10,000-baht digital wallet scheme

webfact

"The policy committee will be split into two groups. One will conduct public hearings while the other will assess the project. The first group will gather comments from the public and both public and private agencies, with a two-week deadline set. The second group, without a deadline, will scrutinise the handout results, including any alleged corruption."

First group, 2 weeks to organise and hold public hearings? Any online capabilities? Two months I'd say, minimum. Maybe 2 years.

Second group? 3-5 years.

"The NACC also advised the committee against utilising language that could mislead people into thinking the scheme is a promise to give policy, in accordance with the Organic Act on the Election of Members of the House of Representatives 2018."

Lol. Where's the Election Commission? A bit late for that isn't it? It was in their election manifesto. PT should be disbanded for blatantly trying to bribe the electorate. A "promise to give" policy has to be their speciality. All jam tomorrow.

Edited by bradiston

A digital wallet would obviously require a phone. If the object of this wallet is to help the poor, where do they get their phone? Or perhaps the phone belongs to a third person, which would be very dubious for the correct person the wallet was provided to?

• Agree 1

The "skim" on this wallet scheme is estimated at 3,000 baht.

Brokers will pay 7,000 on the spot, for a 10,000 baht wallet.

I think most Thai government spending builds in this traditional skim factor.

Of course, there will be additional corruption overhead; I imagine the Krung Thai Bank and their Pao Tang app won't be managing this free of charge?

• Agree 1