And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My country of origin is too wet, windy and cold. But happy to live anywhere I can sit with the windows and doors open all day and the cycling is good.

Mine's over taxed (though less than UK/EU, I think), along with just silly ass priced healthcare.  At least you get something for you taxes, if you can get seen.

I really can't see any Yanks heading back to the 'Mother Land', especially if been here a while, as cost to get started on govt healthcare is silly, and doesn't cover much, or not until you spent $10k of you own already :w00t:

Another SEA country, I don't would appeal to me.  Leaves Mexico or S. America.   Actually, if not for the hurricane season, Cuba would be a nice option, or Puerto Rico, as would a lot of the Caribbean island.  But why I scratched those to begin with.

Africa, E. Asia ... don't think so.  Doesn't leave much.  Old Eastern Block/W. EU ... a bit too turbulent, maybe now & in the future,  Besides part of or joining the EU ... NO THANKS

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My country of origin is too wet, windy and cold. But happy to live anywhere I can sit with the windows and doors open all day and the cycling is good.

That's interesting.  We have tried both an 'open house policy', windows and doors open, open to the veranda all day. but for the past 4 years, we have operated a 'closed house policy'. windows and doors firmly closed and house in aircon. We much prefer the closed house as no bugs, no flying things, no walking things and a cool place to live in. Personal choice I guess, but I prefer the separation from the outside, hot environment , until I choose to engage it.  Dogs prefer it too.  

1 minute ago, Doctor Tom said:

We much prefer the closed house as no bugs, no flying things, no walking things and a cool place to live in.

We have nets on every window and magnet curtains on all the external doors.......never had a mosquito in the house......famous last words!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I can't think of anywhere else in Thailand that has the above advantages for living. CM may come close but it has the burring season to deal with and it takes an extra flight to get to BKK.  Phuket is a scam and crime ridden dump and not worth consideration, or even a visit. 

Yep, except I hated Pattaya people and attitudes (which were not avoidable), not the location per se. So I moved to Chiang Mai and will relocate to Hua Hin for the burning season.

Same old story you have heard a hundred times before...

The problem with Thailand is there ate not that many convenient places to settle in as a foreigner. So we have this big loop people go around on.

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

That's interesting.  We have tried both an 'open house policy', windows and doors open, open to the veranda all day. but for the past 4 years, we have operated a 'closed house policy'. windows and doors firmly closed and house in aircon. We much prefer the closed house as no bugs, no flying things, no walking things and a cool place to live in. Personal choice I guess, but I prefer the separation from the outside, hot environment , until I choose to engage it.  Dogs prefer it too.  

If your fighting the environment to that extent for that long Thailand may not be for you. It will wear on you over time if you can't adjust.

It's much cooler here in Chiang Mai. No problems with the sweaty heat. Zero need for A/C. Do need a fan though.

Pattaya was a mess. I could not even walk around much without getting all sweaty. I usually waited until after sunset to leave the condo most days.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

The gap between what kind of woman I can get for short time and what kind of woman I could get as a 24/7 companion is so huge that I have no other alternative than to live in Thailand where short time is available. By the very sexual emphasis of my life in Thailand, I am trapped where the night-life is. It would have been different had I lived in Thailand in the good old days where any hottie was keen to share the farang's life anywhere in Thailand in exchange for modest amounts of cash.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JackGats said:

The gap between what kind of woman I can get for short time and what kind of woman I could get as a 24/7 companion is so huge that I have no other alternative than to live in Thailand where short time is available. By the very sexual emphasis of my life in Thailand, I am trapped where the night-life is. It would have been different had I lived in Thailand in the good old days where any hottie was keen to share the farang's life anywhere in Thailand in exchange for modest amounts of cash.

Consider stroking your pud.

It's a lot cheaper. Think of it as making 1000 baht each time. Money saved is money earned.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

If your fighting the environment to that extent for that long Thailand may not be for you. It will wear on you over time if you can't adjust.

Nonsense. I am perfectly happy here, and with the environment and my lifestyle.  I don't have to be sweating like a pig and uncomfortable  to enjoy Thailand. It's not an endurance Course. 

21 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Nonsense. I am perfectly happy here, and with the environment and my lifestyle.  I don't have to be sweating like a pig and uncomfortable  to enjoy Thailand. It's not an endurance Course. 

Have fun bouncing from one mall or indoor venue to another. I hate that lifestyle. I'm a fresh air and outside guy. I don't even eat at restaurants anymore unless they have open air seating.

14 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Have fun bouncing from one mall or indoor venue to another. I hate that lifestyle. I'm a fresh air and outside guy. I don't even eat at restaurants anymore unless they have open air seating.

Good for you. 

Two things can be true at the same time. Phuket can be a hostile, rip-off hellhole for some, and an idyllic location for the long term expat type. The sanctimonious among the expat types giggle about the continual rip-off stories in downtown Patong, but not so much when they venture into the same areas and are treated with equal contempt. 

Phuket is well on its way to being the second Benidorm of Thailand. I think its a good thing that Pattaya and Phuket take in that mass tourist market and give the rest of the country a chance to crack on. However, I'll put my hands up to this - I'm CM biased, but the CM we saw between 2016 and the start of COVID was also descending to Benidorm levels. That's why I and many others fled the city to the countryside. 

Years ago I predicted that CM would become the Singapore of the North. COVID interrupted that but with the influx of Chinese money, high speed rail plus a new international airport, downtown CM will grind to a halt. That's only the first problem - land prices downtown have gone nuts. Within twenty years cheap Chiang Mai will be eradicated. 

Phuket is already well down that road and property developers will choke the place to death, as they will also do in CM. 

2 hours ago, theblether said:

Two things can be true at the same time. Phuket can be a hostile, rip-off hellhole for some, and an idyllic location for the long term expat type. The sanctimonious among the expat types giggle about the continual rip-off stories in downtown Patong, but not so much when they venture into the same areas and are treated with equal contempt. 

Phuket is well on its way to being the second Benidorm of Thailand. I think its a good thing that Pattaya and Phuket take in that mass tourist market and give the rest of the country a chance to crack on. However, I'll put my hands up to this - I'm CM biased, but the CM we saw between 2016 and the start of COVID was also descending to Benidorm levels. That's why I and many others fled the city to the countryside. 

Years ago I predicted that CM would become the Singapore of the North. COVID interrupted that but with the influx of Chinese money, high speed rail plus a new international airport, downtown CM will grind to a halt. That's only the first problem - land prices downtown have gone nuts. Within twenty years cheap Chiang Mai will be eradicated. 

Phuket is already well down that road and property developers will choke the place to death, as they will also do in CM. 

There are a lot of Chinese in CM now in the Old City. I think that western expat and backpacker scene of yesteryear is gone. I feel like I stand out like a sore thumb here as an American expat.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

There are a lot of Chinese in CM now in the Old City. I think that western expat and backpacker scene of yesteryear is gone. I feel like I stand out like a sore thumb here as an American expat.

I agree. The change in the last 15 years is already astonishing. By 2040 the city will no longer be attractive to retirees. 

The same applies to Phuket. There will be no "idyllic bubbles" left. Property developers will.make sure of that. 

I left Samui almost a decade ago after living there for nearly a decade. When I arrived there it felt like paradise, and when I left it felt like it had become an old dish rag in a restaurant kitchen that hadn't been cleaned in 2 years.

The overdevelopment was rampant, the lack of local pride was rather sickening, the unwillingness of the authorities to clean things up, to improve the aesthetic of the place, plus the overcrowding, massive traffic issues and price gouging were  were more than I wanted to deal with. 

Some of the smaller towns here are still delightful and the quality of life is high, and the cost of living is low. For many of us Thailand is still very close to paradise.

Granted most of us that are saying that are people who have limited means, and if we were wealthy enough we would likely be spending a good portion of the year elsewhere.

On 2/9/2024 at 5:31 PM, Lacessit said:

If you have never been there, you won't know what attractions it has. If you have, given your attitude, you would probably miss most of them.

Having been in Pattaya a few times, I would sooner chew razor blades than be a resident there. Phuket sounds like Pattaya squared.

Neither sound pleasant, I agree.  Been in Pattaya, hope I never have to go back there.  And if Phuket is worst, Dear God that must be truly horrible.