Tragic scooter crash in Thailand leaves Queensland dad in coma

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How much equity do you think that there is in their house?

How much coin do you think is left after paying back the mortgage and all fee's associated with selling ?

• Confused 2

The government could require the motorbike business to charge for and provide government approved 1st class Thai insurance for the designated driver, irrespective of whatever private insurance the renter may have.

Coverage for passenger would require supplemental insurance.

The motorbike business would be responsible to provide crash certified helmets to rentee and designated passenger if identified, otherwise held blameless for any passenger.

If Thai law requires motorbike rider certification, and not provided - rental refused. Maybe the government can provide a temporary motorbike certification through a short class. Made online, a tourist could apply before coming to Thailand showing passed course.

Bottom line is that the government must become directly involved.

I reckon he's not driving a scooter in Queensland? I lived some years in Cairns. Not very common there. Then why here??? And without helmet? If you want to risk your life rent a scooter. And obviously it was his own fault.

And now the ultima ratio is for calling a GoFundMe action .... It's a sad story. And he pays a high price. And I wish him all the best to recover.🙏

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How much equity do you think that there is in their house?

How much coin do you think is left after paying back the mortgage and all fee's associated with selling ?

No idea, why do you ask?

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think everybody who thinks for a minute should make sure they have a valid health insurance before they travel.

That is a very valid point, I NEVER travel without it, however I do know that some fine prints don't cover motor scooters or the ones that do, make sure they don't have a bigger engine capacity of a 125cc, and you must have a valid international Riders Permit, or Riders License in the country you are riding in, and of course, wearing of a helmet.

From what I have read, he wasn't wearing one, but she was.

I might be mistaken, but this is a merry go round, same stories, different day and to be perfectly honest, if the guy didn't fit the above criteria, it's no different to me than being reckless and then burdening your family and others with your crap, suffice to say, I have no sympathy for him, and that little kid in the photo, well life just end up being that little bit tougher now, because his dad didn't grow up.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

The report sounds like his GF had a crash helmet and he didn't.....

The report seems to indicate that he had totally-inadequate medical insurance .......

Sadly, this is a real-world example of Darwinism.....

The helmet didn't protect her.....it merely facilitated  a "miracle":

"......while his partner miraculously emerged unscathed, having worn a helmet during the heart-stopping crash."

Idiot "journalist".

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Driving a motorcycle in Thailand, without a helmet, and without proper insurance, maybe not even a valid motorcycle license. I can't even fathom why anyone would come here and even take a chance riding a motorcycle, knowing full-well that this is a seriously dangerous place to drive anything, let alone a motorbike without a helmet.

Every time I am on the road in Thailand I see idiot foreigners weaving in an out of traffic. They seem so sure of themselves until it is their turn to die or get seriously injured. It's only a matter of time, the law of averages will catch up to them. Murphy's Law was written just for them.

Despite having travel insurance, the family has been dealt a cruel blow, discovering that the policy does not cover the exorbitant medical expenses resulting from motorcycle injuries of this nature. With a staggering hospital bill amounting to US$80,000 (approximately 2 million baht) and the daunting prospect of a US$200,000 air ambulance transfer back to Australia, the family is grappling with the daunting reality of having to finance these costs independently.

This is the greed of the insurances. they should be made to cover their clients  for everything if they go on holidays , the clients must also be informed to make sure that they have  the right  Drivers license for the vehicles that are going to be used in the country where they go on holiday.

10 minutes ago, digger70 said:

This is the greed of the insurances. they should be made to cover their clients  for everything if they go on holidays.

If he was not compliant with all requirements outlined in the terms and conditions of the policy why should they cover him.

Insurance companies are not charities.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I remember Thailand wanted to make sure every tourist has a health insurance.

What happened to that project?

I think everybody who thinks for a minute should make sure they have a valid health insurance before they travel.

And if for whatever reason they don't have an insurance then maybe it's a good idea to be careful.

"catastrophic collision with a concrete barrier" sounds to me like nobody else was involved.

Sad

He had insurance but failed with the following, see link in article:

"Travellers are urged to heed the cautionary criteria stipulated by travel insurance providers, including possessing a valid Australian motorbike licence (for rides exceeding 50CC), adhering to helmet regulations, abstaining from alcohol influence, and obtaining essential documentation such as an International Driving Permit to safeguard against potential coverage exclusions."

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

As usual topics like this are filled with unempathetic rubbishy comments (likely mostly from the boomer crowd) from folk who think they have never put a foot wrong and live perfect lives. Good chance family is reading this!

Can't be criticized enough maybe we save one life by putting someone off to ride a bike without proper skills or safety measures.

5 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

They've raised under 8 grand, so it looks like the unfortunate fellow isn't going home any time soon.  His kids are 3 and 9.  I hope to God the oldest one hasn't read this thread.   

The scooter probably only came with one helmet.  My guess is that he gave the helmet to his female companion and chose to take the risk on himself (and his kids, by proxy).  A very bad stroke of luck that will destroy many lives. 

A few hours ago I posted a link to a video of the last scene of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" which was rightfully taken down.

While harsh, it's probably the kindest thing to do. 

Yeah, it was really unlucky that the barrier jumped in front of his bike.

Driving a motorcycle in Thailand, without a helmet, and without proper insurance, maybe not even a valid motorcycle license. I can't even fathom why anyone would come here and even take a chance riding a motorcycle, knowing full-well that this is a seriously dangerous place to drive anything, let alone a motorbike without a helmet.

Yes, agree considering 85% of deaths in road traffic accidents are motorcycle users. 

14 hours ago, uttradit said:

The storyline says "dad" to get sympathy but got nothing to do with not wearing a helmet and lacking riding skills. Use rideshare, hire a car. Really not hard to make smart decisions.

But it's cool to be seen flexing your muscles, people are on holiday with no thought to anything could/can happen

I would say it is because of the "young and dumb excuse" but there are also thousands of older people who do the same thing riding around with no helmet, no insurance, no health care and often drunk on top of that.  So maybe they use the "old enough to know better but dumb as a rock excuse".

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

At 300 Baht per arrival, the 280000 USD bill of the gentleman would require about 25000 arrivals.

Even if that scheme was ever put in place, and worked as advertised, I wouldn't think it would pay for an air ambulance back to home country which is where most of that money is required.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK... so you have an opinion... But to campaign people not to donate (in capitals too) indicates certain degree of callousness that leaves one wondering if thats your real nature....     

A rather toxic comment IMO...

OK so he didn't have insurance - did you when you went overseas in your 20's ???...   did many of is ?

Hands up - when I was over here in my 20's I didn't have insurance, I didn't even think about it, perhaps I was covered by my companies insurance, I'm not sure...  one think I am sure of is that it was not something I even thought of.

Like many, I was simply lucky. 

Knowing what I know now, I don't go anywhere without insurance, but to cast judgement on youngsters would be hypocritical. 

I'm wondering if it should mandatory for insurance to be compulsory for all travellers - i.e. a legal requirement when leaving your country to have health insurance ( and of course, legislation that doesn't exclude or price older folk and those with pre-existing conditions from travelling ).

He did have insurance but invalidated it by stupid actions.

Hypocritical is blaming other people for toxic comments while doing it yourself many times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I might be mistaken, but this is a merry go round, same stories, different day and to be perfectly honest, if the guy didn't fit the above criteria, it's no different to me than being reckless and then burdening your family and others with your crap, suffice to say, I have no sympathy for him, and that little kid in the photo, well life just end up being that little bit tougher now, because his dad didn't grow up.

His kids are 3 and 9, so the newborn baby photo is probably to elicit sympathy. 

A 28yo with a 9yo kid indicates he's often made bad decisions in his life.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

His kids are 3 and 9, so the newborn baby photo is probably to elicit sympathy. 

A 28yo with a 9yo kid indicates he's often made bad decisions in his life.

Why is having a child at 19 a bad decision? He could be a good worker, provider for his family, and besides the mistake of not wearing a helmet in a country known for bad drivers, roads and lack of enforcement of road rules, be also a good dad and husband. There are countless people, many of them narcissists, that have children every year with no feelings for them or the women they create them with besides their own pleasure. This comes at all ages, not just in the teens. Not wearing a helmet anywhere is playing with fire. Here, it's plain foolish to get on a road with many vehicles going at all speeds, with people who are totally incompetent, inconsistent, on phones, inconsiderate and lazy, and not wear as much protection as possible while driving a scooter.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

These travel policies do not have "fine print", they have easily read policy conditions and always have directions that the policy holder must read the policy.

I still reckon we are on the same page Lou. "Fine print" is just an expression of must read the policy details, big or small and carefully and abide by them hey.     With or without bike insurance, a helmet for daddy too would have been good "insurance".     Sad story.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Hypocritical is blaming other people for toxic comments while doing it yourself many times.

There’s a difference…. Any comments I make which might be considered  ‘toxic’ are directed at posters on here for their idiotic or vapid remarks… never at the deceased who can’t defend themselves…. 

1 minute ago, Jing Joe said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

These travel policies do not have "fine print", they have easily read policy conditions and always have directions that the policy holder must read the policy.

I still reckon we are on the same page Lou. "Fine print" is just an expression of must read the policy details

Ok, but the expression "fine print" is usually an derogatory reference to something that may be intentionally or fraudulently obscure.  "Policy conditions" is a fairer reference to the, er, policy conditions that are in regular font.

7 hours ago, damo1967 said:

NO NEED to add to any Go Fund Me...   surely this guy had insurance....  had a motorbike licence...  was sober.. had a helmet on etc etc... no drugs in system...  His insurance will pay for him.    DO NOT DONATE TO THESE STUPID PEOPLE...   

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

if you are supporting someone who’s posted the above comment - perhaps some toxicity should be directed towards you… 

4 hours ago, chrissables said:

Best way to travel Thailand is a motorbike, try it one day.

I have for many years thanks 👍

But definitely not safe ! 

• Like 1