Move To Reduce Speed Limit On 40 Busy Bangkok Roads To 50km Per Hour

webfact

16 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Huh??? 80 km in the city?? and on the crowded roads you hardly move forward...Any way amazing Thailand again

The posted limit is exactly that, a limit. It is not an instruction. 🧐 

Buses and trucks are already limited to 60, Tuk Tuks 45kph. 

BMA proposes 50km/h speed limit on 40 roads in Bangkok
by Mitch Connor

image.jpeg

Photo courtesy of iStock

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is set to lodge a request with the Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB), advocating for the imposition of a 50 kilometres-per-hour speed limit on 40 roads in central Bangkok and key residential areas.

The move is primarily aimed at reducing traffic accidents and enhancing road safety, according to Thaiphat Tanasombatkul, the director-general of BMA’s Traffic and Transportation Department.

The Traffic and Transportation Department, under the umbrella of the BMA, outlined policies and measures to bolster road safety. These strategies involve the application of relevant engineering expertise, the introduction of speed restrictions on roads that traverse communities and residential precincts, the prosecution of alcohol-impaired drivers, the initiation of public awareness campaigns on the perils of road accidents, and the repair of hazardous roads.

In a collaborative effort with Chulalongkorn University, the BMA has evaluated the safety standards of the roads across Bangkok. This evaluation was based on the criteria outlined in the International Road Assessment Programme (iRAP).

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 2

My motorcycle shows my average speed, if I like my average over the last 10,000 km or something like that.

My average in the middle of Bangkok is about 25km/h - on a motorcycle which has a max speed over 150km/h.

So much about what is allowed and what is possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

THE SPEED LIMIT FOR automobiles running on 40 congested roads in Bangkok’s inner part has been proposed to be reduced from 80km to 50km per hour for pedestrian safety reasons.

So congested roads that traffic crawls along they want to reduce the speed limit for 80 to 50 ????

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I may be thinking a little too mutt, but how about getting out and fining all the motorbike riders on the pavements, also, the store holders, and vendors taking up the whole pavement so pedestrians have to walk in the gutters......nah.......that would mean actually getting out there and doing something. Much better to simply add another regulation to the other few thousand that are already totally ignored.

not sure why food vendors need to be brought into a conversation about speed limits - unless you just want to Thai-bash like so many on here? 

Accidents are caused by drivers moving faster than the speed limit. If the limit is 80, they do 120. If the limit is 50, they will likely do 120 if there are no speed bumps. Not likely on major roads.

Just add it to the endless list of other laws that aren't enforced. And, actually, there is probably nowhere in the world where cars keep to the speed limit. Maybe one - I used to rent cars quite often when I went to the US and one time tried to floor it on a long, straight empty road. And I couldn't get it above the 55mph limit as it had been 'doctored'.

• Like 1

OK, I can hardly see, where in Central Bangkok, you CAN drive at 80 km/h.

Reminds me stupid German politics who are talking about introducing speed limits on the Autobahn, when these are chronically congested, so that you cannot even reach 50 km/h !

But: can someone tell me, where in Central Bangkok, you MAY drive at 80 km/h??

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The sought-after reduction in Bangkok’s speed limit, designed to better maintain the safety of pedestrians on sidewalks and shoulders of the congested roads

So is this speed limit just for sidewalks? :whistling: what are pedestrians doing on the shoulders  of roads, stepping out to avoid what ever is cluttering the the sidewalk?

Speed limits are already so very well complied with here in Thailand by the overwhelming majority of drivers. Not! When you enter a town or village, there are always traffic signs: “Town limit. Reduce speed!”. After coming to Thailand for almost 40 years, I have yet to meet the first driver who actually reduces speed. If anything, they will speed up.
On Phetchkasem Road in Hua Hin, near the airport (where I am now) they zip by at 80-100 miles an hour, and lunatics on their big bikes will even go a lot faster. Not a cop in sight, so nothing to worry about. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

not sure why food vendors need to be brought into a conversation about speed limits - unless you just want to Thai-bash like so many on here? 

It's a valid comment given that the article refers to pedestrians stepping off the sidewalk, which is often due to them (food vendors etc)  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

Accidents are caused by drivers moving faster than the speed limit. If the limit is 80, they do 120. If the limit is 50, they will likely do 120 if there are no speed bumps. Not likely on major roads.

Award for the most stupid post today.

Accidents are caused by drivers not looking where they are going, not anticipating the action of other road users, and faulty vehicles. And quite often by vehicles being driven too slowly.

Do ALL drivers do 120 in a 80 or 50 zone?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

not sure why food vendors need to be brought into a conversation about speed limits

Because the reason for the lower speed limit is "pedestrian safety". As the poster said, anything that forces pedestrians onto the road should be stopped. 

50k/hr would be a blessing on some roads during rush hour. Regardless, any limits are mearly suggestions without enforcement. If any municipality needs speed (and traffic light) enforcement cameras its greater Bangkok. The revenue would be a windfall. 

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

Please, no speed bumps, we don't want roads like they were in the the days of the horse and cart. Speed cameras and police enforcing the law, yes.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1