Thailand’s DES ministry to propose cell broadcast emergency system plan

webfact

image.jpeg

A plan to introduce a cell broadcast emergency warning system will be submitted to the cabinet next month by the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (DES). Major mobile operators are expected to invest approximately 300 million baht (US$8.3 million) each to establish their cell broadcast centres, while the ministry may need around 400 million baht (US$11 million) to set up its cell broadcast entity (CBE).

The minister, Prasert Jantararuangthong, revealed on a Monday that each major mobile phone operator would need to install the cell broadcast system. The process is predicted to take over six months. To establish the entire cell broadcast ecosystem, the ministry will need a cabinet resolution. The DES Ministry expects to source the 400 million baht needed for the CBE from the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission fund.

The government is yet to decide whether the DES Ministry or the Interior Ministry’s Disaster Mitigation Centre will act as the state command centre for the cell broadcast system. The new system, aimed at dealing with public disorder and disasters, is expected to be fully operational this year.

The cell broadcast system has two tiers. The first is a location-based service (LBS) already in use by major operators, capable of sending short messages to all mobile phones in specific areas. The second is the new cell broadcast system.

by Alex Morgan

Photo courtesy of Ministry of Digital Economy and Society

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A plan to introduce a cell broadcast emergency warning system will be submitted to the cabinet next month by the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (DES). Major mobile operators are expected to invest approximately 300 million baht (US$8.3 million) each to establish their cell broadcast centres, while the ministry may need around 400 million baht (US$11 million) to set up its cell broadcast entity (CBE).

Money to burn...

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The minister, Prasert Jantararuangthong, revealed on a Monday that each major mobile phone operator would need to install the cell broadcast system. The process is predicted to take over six months. To establish the entire cell broadcast ecosystem, the ministry will need a cabinet resolution. The DES Ministry expects to source the 400 million baht needed for the CBE from the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission fund.

The government is yet to decide whether the DES Ministry or the Interior Ministry’s Disaster Mitigation Centre will act as the state command centre for the cell broadcast system. The new system, aimed at dealing with public disorder and disasters, is expected to be fully operational this year.

The cell broadcast system has two tiers. The first is a location-based service (LBS) already in use by major operators, capable of sending short messages to all mobile phones in specific areas. The second is the new cell broadcast system.

by Alex Morgan

Photo courtesy of Ministry of Digital Economy and Society

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

public disorder ?????????????hmmmm..............next is a green/yellow/red signal system as in China which will bar publicly disorderly from certain areas

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Warning! Military Coup in Process. Shelter in Place until further notice. 

Thailand military coups occur more often than tsunamis.

Yes. "This is not a drill. Return to your homes immediately. 18-30 yo males report to army barracks. The rest of you, bow down and shut up. Shoot on sight dissenters in operation."

17 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Ah! American English. Cell phone AKA mobile phone. 

Let's face it the implementation of this system is primarily the former. Apart from this it's just another scheme that will fill a very few pockets with lots of money.

Something tells me there is a 3rd tier. Complete shutdown of internet services in areas where there is said "public disorder".

I reckon there's something going on, and not just here. Back in the UK a year or so ago they were trying to set something similar up,   There was never any explanation as to why we suddenly needed an early warning system and there was no  information about what we were to be warned about. There was a date set for a nationwide  test and constant reminders on tv and radio that when we got the message on our mobile phones it would only be a drill.  If I remember correctly the first trial run was a complete disaster many people didn't receive the txt I think they tried again a few weeks later with a similar result, and after that it was never mentioned again that I know of.

Could be something that they were discussing at  "Davos" recently  Its got Klaus Schwab's  name written all over it, and I wouldn't be surprised if other countries are also implementing similar systems.  All very sinister in my opinion. 

As others here have mentioned, its going to be a nice little earner for some people. However looking at the people in the OP photograph its difficult to believe that any of them personally would be involved, or indeed that they would have anything other than the best interests of the general public in mind.😉

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1

I remember vividly, that Dr Thaksin, then prime minister, already worked on the idea of a "cell broadcast emergency warning system" after the Tsunami incident on 26 December 2001. Would that have been in place and broadcasting in Thai and English to switch on TV/radio etc. quite many more lives could have been saved.

Seeing all those clowns sitting nicely in one row ....... 20+ years later and still nothing happened ....... welcome to Thailand! 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I remember vividly, that Dr Thaksin, then prime minister, already worked on the idea of a "cell broadcast emergency warning system" after the Tsunami incident on 26 December 2001. Would that have been in place and broadcasting in Thai and English to switch on TV/radio etc. quite many more lives could have been saved.

Seeing all those clowns sitting nicely in one row ....... 20+ years later and still nothing happened ....... welcome to Thailand! 

Well Thaksin is an expert in telecom so he’s the man the government needs ( He who last laughs ……..)

But seriously, we have had this warning system in France  especially for bad weather situations. Very handy, especially for coastal homes/ villages or isolated and mountains regions. We also have a new government warning system , which we all received in action to let us know how it sounds etc. I suppose it will concern earthquakes, tsunamis ( yes had one late 1970s in Antibes where I live) or any sort of imminent danger. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 2:00 PM, Srikcir said:

Warning! Military Coup in Process. Shelter in Place until further notice. 

Thailand military coups occur more often than tsunamis.

Yes but you do get warnings on TV. 

I've been thru 3 coups.

TV's programs stop and they play military music.

There are no police around...all hiding.

After the programs return with a warning for all tourists to go back to their hotel.

In Cambodia you know because on dusk you see guys on motorbikes with AK47s and you can hear the gunfire.