PM Points Out Problems Related to Chinese Goods

snoop1130

31 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Fifty years ago they were calling Japanese cars junk. Maybe the earlier models were but it did not take them long to capture the market. I think the same thing will happen with Chinese products.

Well their cars certainly are improving.....although they don't seem to have yet abandoned their roots of making masses of poor quality low priced crxpiola.

5 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Can't trust chinese, PERIOD!

It depends. I worked with a Chinese colleague and, in my diplomatic way, asked him why everything we buy here from China is cra* and doesn't last. He was surprised and said he had no such problems with things he bought at home. I can only surmise that much of the goods imported into Thailand are cheap because Thais place cheap above quality, so they get what they pay for. And anyway, trying to buy anything that isn't made in China is like pi*sing in the wind, even western name brands like Sharp.

• Like 1

From the linked article: ‘…..added that hee received a proposal document from the Joint Private Sector Committee….’

We’re using Chinese pronouns now? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Can't trust chinese, PERIOD!

Yet here in Isaan it is Chinese Thai doctors and Chinese Thai techos one trusts for both quality & price, rather than the 'pure' Thai variety.

• Sad 1

One thing is for sure that big brother China will not going to like what the PM said, and if you get on China's

'We don't approve what you said about China' list, nasty things might and will happen to you...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

You make laws and people find a way around them if it costs money. Historically Chinese have been very strong traders and witness their success around the globe, winning, not by force of arms, but by trading, legally or no. 

I was once in charge of a sales force in the US and we had to come up with incentive plans for the force. Within a couple of hours of announcing plans members of the sales force had figured out how to get round the obstacles in the plan and to inflate their bonuses. Same with the Chinese (or Americans) sign a deal with them and within hours they have found a way to gain an advantage at your expense.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Chinese goods are affordable to those with a tight budget.

Chinese goods are easily available in every stall/market or online platform

Chinese goods are more competitive than Thai goods.

you forgot to mention ....

Chinese goods will likely break after two months whereas Thai goods might last 4-6 months and possibly longer.

• Like 2

To be fair, some of China products are of good quality and build up there with the best like cars and TV,

MG, BYD, Haval and others, they simply copied the technology and produced it cheaper, recently i was shopping

for a new Tv and was very surprised to see Chinese Tv like TCL and Hisense getting good marks and preises from

those US UK tech sites...

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you forgot to mention ....

Chinese goods will likely break after two months whereas Thai goods might last 4-6 months and possibly longer.

The consumers choice, pay peanuts for rubbish, it breaks replace with another cheap one.

Or Buy quality that lasts.

It's an open market where consumers dictate what they ant... China provides choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

causing concern for Thai producers unable to compete on price.

It's not just about price, Thailand just does not produce half the stuff, that China does, I would quite happily pay a bit more rather than wait up to 2 weeks to arrive from China, mainly small electrical items, and cordless Items, even small electric scooters and bikes, none are made here, as far as I know. Oh and Lawn mowers/ Small engines .

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It depends. I worked with a Chinese colleague and, in my diplomatic way, asked him why everything we buy here from China is cra* and doesn't last. He was surprised and said he had no such problems with things he bought at home. I can only surmise that much of the goods imported into Thailand are cheap because Thais place cheap above quality, so they get what they pay for. And anyway, trying to buy anything that isn't made in China is like pi*sing in the wind, even western name brands like Sharp.

It is not about what China is selling but rather what Thai's are buying from China , we have the same problem in South Africa . Chinese nationals on the most part would not buy the c*ap the Thai's buy .

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

So rather than whinging and blaming the Chinese for being highly competitive...what exactly is being done to make Thailand's producers more competitive by the government - protectionism? That doesn't make Thai producers more competitive, if anything it achieves the opposite. So what is the government doing to improve Thailand's competitiveness?? I have bought plenty of Thai stuff here that fell apart....including my house!!

7 hours ago, neeray said:

<SNIP>

What I bought grips firm, exactly what I needed. The Chinese grips offer a sloppy fit, even when new.....

<SNIP>

Yes but the Chinese ones look so cute in their sun dresses.