Thailand Adjusts Excise Taxes on Local Liquor to Boost Tourism

Western father: So, where shall we go for our family holidays this year?

Everybody: Thailand! The alcoholic hub of the world!

That's a really family destination. 

On 2/27/2024 at 9:44 AM, brommers said:

There will be minimal reductions in booze prices because the increase in minimum wages will add to operating costs. So says my local bar owner.

Your local bar owner has a cunning plan on how to keep prices high 🙂 

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:28 AM, rexpotter said:

Bought a bottle Chilean Red for 399 baht the other day from there.

A coincidence... the bottle of red plonk I got from my local distributor cost exactly that too!

Some years ago 5 litre boxes of wine suddenly disappeared from supermarket shelves without warning. Almost a year later, wine boxes reappeared as 3 litre ones at 50% more than the price of the 5 litre ones. Is the same thing happening to Bells whisky I wonder. For the past month or so it has become almost impossible to buy at the usual outlets and today I bought the last three bottles hidden on the top shelf of a big Lotus supermarket as a staff member said; "not know they were here; no have any more!"
A related question re this thread is when or if the recently announced reduction in tax on imported wine will be passed on to the consumer. It has been a few months now since it was reported and I certainly haven't seen any change in wine prices. I know TIT but.......!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Customs seem to have managed to get their act together with charging VAT on all parcels now, rather than just those over the THB 1,500 threshold.  Alcohol duty reduction seems to be taking longer. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the price doesn't get reduced for the customer ("they're used to paying that price so why should we") and will just increase the profits for the suppliers.  Happy to be proved wrong, wait and see I guess 🙄

1 minute ago, retarius said:

Pretty funny. I haven't seen any prices come down. I was looking forward to buying some decent wine.

It was a stupid idea.....tax take would go down.....prices would never come down....and CP's profits would go up.

On 7/30/2024 at 1:51 PM, retarius said:

Pretty funny. I haven't seen any prices come down. I was looking forward to buying some decent wine.

Earlier today, I bought a bottle of wine for 989 baht. That same wine in the USA costs about $11. In other words, somewhere along the line there’s a huge markup. 

According to some websites I’ve seen, wine under 1000 baht shouldn’t be taxed at all, except for VAT. And if that’s the case, does it really seem that the price in Thailand is fair?  If that’s the way it is, that’s the way it is. Maybe I should be trying some Australian wine? Or wine from somewhere closer to Thailand? South African wine? Thai wine? Is there a workaround?

Decent wine in the US can easily cost $50.  A really good wine, $500+.  I don’t mind spending money, but surely, there’s an easier way.

On 2/26/2024 at 11:19 AM, ChrisY1 said:

Oh yes....plonk is available at that price.....you use it for cooking right?

Silly, I bought an Australian red for the same price at Tops and I don't use it for cooking.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, jas007 said:

Earlier today, I bought a bottle of wine for 989 baht. That same wine in the USA costs about $11. In other words, somewhere along the line there’s a huge markup. 

According to some websites I’ve seen, wine under 1000 baht shouldn’t be taxed at all, except for VAT. And if that’s the case, does it really seem that the price in Thailand is fair?  If that’s the way it is, that’s the way it is. Maybe I should be trying some Australian wine? Or wine from somewhere closer to Thailand? South African wine? Thai wine? Is there a workaround?

Decent wine in the US can easily cost $50.  A really good wine, $500+.  I don’t mind spending money, but surely, there’s an easier way.

Full Moon dark wine cooler 7% alcohol, 27bht/300ml in Makro.

44 minutes ago, jas007 said:

I am in OZ and buy 5litre wine casks for 14 AUD I realize it is not the best wine but you can get used to it  

• Confused 1