South Korean YouTuber sparks tuk tuk fare controversy in Thailand

webfact

20 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Meanwhile in Pattaya not ONE taximeter ever works thanks to the 'arrangement' with the local Plod.

With Bolt, Grab, Motocyc, baht bus and independant airport taxis where do taximeters even come into the equation😲

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The price is not that excessive.

But, taking them is stupid I think.

Sitting in traffic, exposed, hot, smelly, loud, dangerous.  They should be banned.  Sit in one only, take a photo and give the driver 20 b for all your friends to see back home.

• Haha 1

It is not too expensive in my opinion, but it is free to accept the deal or not. If you don't want to pay or pay less negotiate or cancel it... Anyway Koreans and Thais are not a good match at this moment, and probably it is a part of it

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Folks with half a brain dont take TukTuks

From the picture does not appear to be a tuk tuk more like a songthaew

Edited by AAArdvark
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I did this with a Thai lady in 2019 and the price was around 400 baht, no more than 500 baht, so does seem to have gone up a lot.  The guy actually dropped us off at her house way out of town for that price too.

But you can always say no and walk away if you don't like the price. It's pointless to agree and complain later.  

I'm pretty sure at the corner where soi farang meets the road that has the hotel Ayotaya that they have the fares published 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Equally so, the forceful tactics could have compelled the Korean to simply walk away..

1220 baht for a 4hr TukTuk sight seeing trip doesn’t seem excessive & every first timer wants their TukTuk experience….

Perhaps negotiate a 100 baht fare the the Grand Palace next time… 

I did that once... negotiated a deal to take me back to my hotel. Enroute the driver decided I needed more girls and more to drink and began taking me to different places that serviced mens uhh needs... Even though I kept saying no and demanding to take me to my hotel as agreed. After an hour driving around the driver finally pulled up to my hotel and then demanded 1000 baht more than agreed. stating he showed me around to where all those places were and wanted to be paid for it. After a few minutes arguing he finally took the 100 baht that was initially agreed upon. If i was not so strong-willed the driver would have scared me to pay it I think. They can be intimidating and violent easily. 

When I first came here with friend (early 20's), we'd already been made aware of the scams etc....

So...  When a TukTuk approached us and offered to give us a tour of the City (Banglamphu area) for 25 baht we agreed...

We told him, its go, go to the Tailors and Jewellers... thats ok, but also take us to some decent stuff.

So... we did stop off at a load of Tailors and get hassled to buy a crappy suit, a silk shirt or a funky tie... and we did stop off at jewlers and get offered discoloured quartz and emeralds and rubys etc...   All part of the fun, we knew we were not going to buy anything...

... But, we saw some sights and got a feel and a smell of that area of the city...  I can't remember, but we ended up giving the driver about 200 baht... we were with him for about 3 or 4 hours...  if I'm not mistake, he got his fuel tokens etc for delivering us to the various shops etc... 

BUT... had the guy been even remotely pushy, it would have simply been a no go....  anyone gets pushy and the only response is walk away.

I recall in India, we'd hired a driver the 5 days we were there (not only to get us around but as a filter for all the relentless hassle a tourist gets there - and it is relentless, its exhausting)....   I recall getting  rick-shaw around the spice market (in Delhi) and this guy jumped on the back and started rabbiting on endlessly...   I stopped the rickshaw and told the rider that his companion is getting no money, and we'll get off if he doesn't get rid of him... It worked and the rest of the journey through the maze of the spice market was as peaceful as it can be without a guy rabbiting on at full volume 10cm behind our heads... 

In short - its ok to speak up, but also be prepared to just walk away - all of us know this. 

I'm wondering why the Korean didn't simply walk away too.

• Agree 1

It the own fault of Thailand.

This Tuktuk are mostly scam.

I know for over 25 years.

The S Korean youtuber's only react to an action.

If the government would have fone a proper crackdown on these ongoing TukTuk Scammers, then there would be a different reaction.

Thailand wake up!!

Crackdown these Tultuk scammers who are the real bad guys who damage your reputation.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, thesetat said:

If i was not so strong-willed the driver would have scared me to pay it I think. They can be intimidating and violent easily. 

Indeed....  Phuket used to be especially good at this...

Negotiate a TukTuk home after boosy evening... 4 of you in the TukTuk and he quotes 300 baht....  Fair enough.

You get to your destination and he's asking for 1200 baht, the 300 baht was each !!! - cheeky-feckers.... the issue of course is that they know they can turn to violence and get away with it so they escalate very very quickly....

So.. the above never happened to me... BUT... the try to be misleading - i.e. TukTuk... ok 200 baht.... 200 baht each, or for all of us... 200 baht...   each or all ?... 200 baht... Its very difficult to get them not to be vague and I'm sure while on the journey the work out how they can extort more.

So... Yeah... I avoid TukTuks wherever possible, but recall, last time I was in Phuket, speaking Thai with them the rides and pricing was actually very smooth, no hassles, so I think its only the new tourists who are getting stung.

The only excessive thing is him making the video and complaining. He is a YouTuber and actually very popular to Thais.

He grew up in Thailand and is well aware of tourist prices charged to foreigners actually. But again, it wasn’t even a rip off price. So for him to film it for the sake of his video and getting views he should be condemn, he could have walked away - but then there would be no video if he simply walk away.

Edited by fallup88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1