Bangkok’s expressway toll fees skyrocket starting today

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-03-01-135027.jpg

Toll fees along Bangkok’s Chalong Rat and Burapha Withi expressways are seeing a steep increase starting from today, March 1.

The Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT) dropped this bombshell earlier this month, announcing a hefty hike in toll charges. For four-wheel vehicles traversing the Chalong Rat Expressway, be prepared to shell out an extra 5 baht, pushing the toll to 45 baht. Larger vehicles won’t be spared either, with fees for six to 10-wheelers climbing from 60 to 65 baht, and those with more than 10 wheels facing a 10 baht increase, totalling 90 baht.

“Motorists commuting from Ramindra 1 to Sukhapibal 5-2 toll booths will also feel the pinch.”

While four-wheelers will maintain the previous rate of 20 baht, charges for six to 10-wheelers will now stand at 35 baht instead of 30 baht, and vehicles with over 10 wheels will face a 5 baht bump, reaching 45 baht.

Not to be outdone, the Burapha Withi Expressway is also getting in on the act. For four-wheelers covering less than 20 kilometres, the old rate applies, but beyond that, fees will soar, starting from 5 baht and capped at 10 baht, reported The Nation.

Six to 10-wheelers will fork out an extra 5 baht for journeys under 20 kilometres, escalating to 10 baht, capped at 20 baht, for longer distances.

With the toll hike ostensibly aligning with EXAT’s contract with the Thailand Future Fund, commuters are left feeling the pinch. While initially proposed last year, delays pushed the implementation to today.

In related news, EXAT announced toll-free passage along three key Bangkok expressways last Saturday. From the stroke of midnight until the clock strikes 12, motorists were able to drive seamlessly through the Chalerm Mahanakhon, Srirat, and Udon Ratthaya expressways. This generous reprieve, comprising 19 gates, 31 gates, and 10 gates respectively, aligned with the Transport Ministry’s initiative to ease the capital’s congestion on national holidays.

In other news, EXAT is set to launch four expressway projects amounting to approximately 120 billion baht. The projects, once approved and operational, are anticipated to stimulate economic growth and create job opportunities across the nation.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of The Nation

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sky rocketing....      erm... Exaggerate Much ????

The fee's are going up by 5 baht to 45 baht (for 4 wheeled vehicles)...  an increase of just over 10% is hardly skyrocketing, expecially when there has been no price increase for well over a decade.

You think a 5 baht bump is going to be the make or break for small and medium businesses trying to make a living ???

Your exaggeration may be worse greater than the story itself !!!

Richard, I think the original news item & your comment both hold water.

The country has a 5 baht coin. Most things, outside of supermarkets, will move by 5 baht (+/-). When noodles are 40 baht, that is a fair rise. Yesterday=40 baht, today 45 baht.

I watched our chicken rice vendor go from 40...45 & now 50.

Your perception of skyrocketing is different to mine, which is fair enuff.🙃🙃

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Taken in isolation your right only 5 Baht.

Now think about all the courier companies zipping up and down the highways, it will soon add up and increase their costs.

Who do you think will have to pay those extra costs.

So my basic Lazada delivery will go up from Bht 38 to say Bht 45. Me worry?

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

In related news, EXAT announced toll-free passage along three key Bangkok expressways last Saturday. From the stroke of midnight until the clock strikes 12, motorists were able to drive seamlessly through the Chalerm Mahanakhon, Srirat, and Udon Ratthaya expressways. This generous reprieve

true generosity. i need a tissue. i'll be right back.

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... what he means is that the increase is 5 baht...   Hardly sky-rocketing.

But do add a point...  most Lazada etc is delivered on Motorcycles, then there is no increased delivery costs, but the 'depot to depot' deliveries 'may' face a 5 baht charge for the lorry of 1000's of items... 

So... your... "I'm alright Jack, Sod everyone else" virtue signal is as hyperbolically exaggerated as the main opening article itself. 

I wouldn't know a virtue signal if it bit me on the ar@e.

Yes the article is exaggerated but your claim it's only 5 Baht and will hardly register as an increase is plainly wrong, although you won't admit that.

Furthermore, the majority of deliveries are not made by motorbike, but i assume your just thinking about your own moohban, you obviously never visit the hundreds of Industrial areas dotted around these highways.

Oh and please save me one of your long winded smug replies.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

I watched our chicken rice vendor go from 40...45 & now 50.

I'm seeing many normal Thai restaurants go up to 60 baht. Wages aren't going up so I don't know how these people are surviving. Bad times ahead.

4 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I wouldn't know a virtue signal if it bit me on the ar@e.

Yes the article is exaggerated but your claim it's only 5 Baht and will hardly register as an increase is plainly wrong, although you won't admit that.

Correct, I wont admit that because I can't see a 5 baht increase to a tollway / express way fee impacting the mom & pop shop in any manner considered significant.

Furthermore, the majority of deliveries are not made by motorbike, but i assume your just thinking about your own moohban, you obviously never visit the hundreds of Industrial areas dotted around these highways.

And... as you point out, most deliveries are not made by motorbike... Well the individual ones are. (to the moobaan as you point out) Anything else that may encounter an expressway is 'depot-depot' and a 5 baht on an expressway charge is unnoticeable when considering the 100's and 1000's of items they carry and then variable fuel costs from one petrol station to another etc.

Oh and please save me one of your long winded smug replies.

So... you want to be spared 'long winded smug replies'....  don't write something so daft it places everyone  else in the 'smug position' of being able to point out the intellectually flawed position of you scrambling to claim a moral high ground with your 'Im alright jack' comment.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Now think about all the courier companies zipping up and down the highways, it will soon add up and increase their costs.

Who do you think will have to pay those extra costs.

These courier companies... in their Box Vans zipping up and down the highways... 

How many parcels per van...  100 ??? more 1000 ???....   fair guess is about 200 I think....

So...  what are we talking ?...  10 expressway journeys per day per van...      50 baht extra per 200 parcels ??

Now think about.....        nah, its too late isn't it...

.... you wont be able to look at this critically and will instead let your emotions take control and try and point score...  

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Whenever I'm driving in Bangkok my worst fear is that I take a wrong exit and end up at toll both. No such nonsense up here in Isaan. 😃 And wife screaming randomly generated left/rigth turns based on her reading a signs or GPS doesn't help it at all.  😵‍💫

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Whenever I'm driving in Bangkok my worst fear is that I take a wrong exit and end up at toll both. No such nonsense up here in Isaan. 😃 And wife screaming randomly generated left/rigth turns based on her reading a signs or GPS doesn't help it at all.  😵‍💫

I learned to drive in Bangkok before Google Maps etc...   I think TomTom or Garmin came in at some point.

Anyway... it was a steep learning curve, involved a lot of mistakes, often driving around randomly until I found an area I recognised or the sign heading somewhere I recognised...  getting around was something I picked up fairly quickly and I now find I can navigate Bangkok better than most taxi drivers !!... (many of whom are often fairly recent arrivals).

There is one thing I have always said about the Expressways in Bangkok.... I simply would not have bothered to live here without them. For the most part, they make the city navigable in a reasonable time frame and I have always chosen where I live so that its is close to a convenient expressway entrance / exit that quickly links up to all directions. 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sky rocketing....      erm... Exaggerate Much ????

It's an article from the Thaiger. Don't need to know more than that. I'd really like to see Asean Now stop spreading their crap.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

It's an article from the Thaiger. Don't need to know more than that. I'd really like to see Asean Now stop spreading their crap.

Yep ... I'm starting to ignore so many threads, news especially.  Even threads I used to have an interest in, and why I even joined AN.

If not the silly news-blips, it's the silly trolls, who argue about things they have no interest in.  Quite sad really.

• Thanks 1

There's only one thing that always increase, never decrease: price.

Amazon raised 5 baht on drinks during covid. Putin killed covid, but those 5 baht are still there, and won't go away.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I learned to drive in Bangkok before Google Maps etc...   I think TomTom or Garmin came in at some point.

Anyway... it was a steep learning curve, involved a lot of mistakes, often driving around randomly until I found an area I recognised or the sign heading somewhere I recognised...  getting around was something I picked up fairly quickly and I now find I can navigate Bangkok better than most taxi drivers !!... (many of whom are often fairly recent arrivals).

There is one thing I have always said about the Expressways in Bangkok.... I simply would not have bothered to live here without them. For the most part, they make the city navigable in a reasonable time frame and I have always chosen where I live so that its is close to a convenient expressway entrance / exit that quickly links up to all directions. 

What I find worst about them, that you are near you destination, like 5 minutes away, you take one wrong turn on the Express and when they finally spit you out on next exit you are 1,5 hour away from you destination. Of course, if you know what are you doing they can be probably great shortcut. But if you accidentally use them, not used to them, you are screwed and you even pay for that.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So my basic Lazada delivery will go up from Bht 38 to say Bht 45. Me worry?

Your basic lazada delivery comes stand alone in the delivery vehicle ?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Wait until they snap to the fact that all those EVs aren't paying road fuel taxes and they're tearing up the roads twice as much, due to sheer weight.

Oh God, yawn yawn yawn.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Another ChatGPT / Thesaurus laden Thaiger special.  Absolutely horrendous writing that is so painful to read, and as for the headline! (I can't call it what it is because you get banned for it, but it is related to bait). AN is dying....

Edited by josephbloggs

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:
11 hours ago, impulse said:

Wait until they snap to the fact that all those EVs aren't paying road fuel taxes and they're tearing up the roads twice as much, due to sheer weight.

Oh God, yawn yawn yawn.

So where do you think they're going to make up the shortfall when 20, 30, or 40% of the vehicles on the road aren't paying their fair share of the road fuel taxes to maintain the roads?  While at the same time, those heavier EVs are tearing up the roads faster than the people who are paying?