Bus driver killed, 47 students and teachers injured in accident in Korat

webfact

image.jpeg

A driver was killed and 47 students and teachers were injured when their Bangkok-bound bus crashed into the rear of a truck carrying sugarcane, as it was crossing from the in-bound to the outbound lane in Dan Khun Thot district of Nakhon Ratchasima province on Friday night.

Police say that the bus, carrying a large group of young students, aged between 9 and 11, and their teachers, was heading for Bangkok on a study tour.

Police said that a similar accident happened on March 17th last year, when a tour bus, carrying students on another study tour, collided with a car and plunged into a roadside ditch in Sawankhalok district of Sukhothai province. Two students were killed and over 40 others injured.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-03-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 3

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police said that a similar accident happened on March 17th last year, when a tour bus, carrying students on another study tour

How many accidents, injuries and death will it take to make changes?

This is one of the reasons why Thailand is considered a sub par industrialized country...

Having driven behind sugarcane lorries with poor very rear lights and a silly defective red triangle dangling of the sugar cane I can understand the bis driver's mistake. RIP Driver.

oh dear '    rear ended the sugar cane truck .....  not sure how old the driver was .....  the students were headed on a study tour in Bangkok ....  

maybe the study tour should be changed to road safety and driving in Thailand tour .. :blink:

15 minutes ago, retarius said:

Having driven behind sugarcane lorries with poor very rear lights and a silly defective red triangle dangling of the sugar cane I can understand the bis driver's mistake. RIP Driver.

what's a bis driver  ?

29 minutes ago, retarius said:

Do you and this driver have no headlights............?  🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

This is one of the reasons why Thailand is considered a sub par industrialized country...

What changes would you make? IQ tests for bus drivers?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, retarius said:

Mistake? 

I suspect he fell asleep whilst Facebooking.

There's no excuse for rear-ending a massive slow-moving vehicle.  The bis driver is 1000% at fault.

• Confused 1

Busses so underpowered once they get going at a good lick they don't want to slow down..You can tell because even the slightest grade slows them down. One time I was sitting in a restaurant in Surattani. Outside there were busses loading passengers.The drivers were sitting at a table chugging a few cold ones. Glad I was taking the train.

21 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

So either the entire nation doesn't watch TV or they simply don't get it, or ignore the dangers.

If something doesn't directly concern them then Thais are often not interested. These things happened to someone else and therefore had nothing to do with them. They are unable to join the dots and think if it happened to others then it could happen to them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And those people don't ride the bus, even the stupidly-named VIP buses.

Exactly, these ministers don't give a rats about public transport safety.

23 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

It is not going to change. A few years back there was a survey of Thai drivers which was quite comprehensive.

In short, a full third of the respondents said there was literally nothing they could do to prevent an accident. Nothing. It is all preordained. 

Driving drunk, not wearing a seatbelt, in the rain, with the stereo blasting, forgot to put on your headlights, texting a friend on the phone that you're coming over for beers, speeding and blasting through a stop sign without even noticing there was one....has NOTHING to do with getting T-boned and killed by a huge over-loaded semi-truck with <deleted>ty brakes and a driver whacked out of his mind on yaba. 

It's simply the way things were meant to be.

How can you change that? It's such a profoundly stupid, and yet molecularly ingrained, attitude......

1 hour ago, Almer said:

You obviously never drive at night

Oh, dear a guesser, strange isn't it that I drove heavy goods vehicles on unlit roads half a century ago in the UK.

Now back to your knitting........😉

10 minutes ago, Cereal said:

It is not going to change. A few years back there was a survey of Thai drivers which was quite comprehensive.

In short, a full third of the respondents said there was literally nothing they could do to prevent an accident. Nothing. It is all preordained. 

Driving drunk, not wearing a seatbelt, in the rain, with the stereo blasting, forgot to put on your headlights, texting a friend on the phone that you're coming over for beers, speeding and blasting through a stop sign without even noticing there was one....has NOTHING to do with getting T-boned and killed by a huge over-loaded semi-truck with <deleted>ty brakes and a driver whacked out of his mind on yaba. 

It's simply the way things were meant to be.

How can you change that? It's such a profoundly stupid, and yet molecularly ingrained, attitude......

"How can you change that? It's such a profoundly stupid, and yet molecularly ingrained, attitude......"

A lot of eggs will need to be broken before the omelette is made.

A lot of eggs.

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

Link?

3 hours ago, Almer said:

You obviously never drive at night

If you have lights and have your Eyes on the road and Nowhere Else there's

no need for rear and collisions.

I use to like driving trucks for work at night Much safer and Less distractions.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:06 AM, NoDisplayName said:

Mistake? 

I suspect he fell asleep whilst Facebooking.

There's no excuse for rear-ending a massive slow-moving vehicle.  The bis driver is 1000% at fault.

From the report I deduce that the truck was making a U-turn taking it directly into the path of the bus.

3 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

From the report I deduce that the truck was making a U-turn taking it directly into the path of the bus.

How could the bus driver miss an overloaded sugarcane truck ahead of him?

From the report, there is no indication the truck moved suddenly into the path of the bus.  Truck was in the left lane, slowing or possibly nearly stopped (unclear) to make a U-turn.

Bus driver plowed into the truck from the rear.    Driver already doing wrong:

According to the guidelines, set out by the Office of the Basic Education Commission, night-time travel by students on study or sight-seeing tours is not permitted.

3 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

How could the bus driver miss an overloaded sugarcane truck ahead of him?

From the report, there is no indication the truck moved suddenly into the path of the bus.  Truck was in the left lane, slowing or possibly nearly stopped (unclear) to make a U-turn.

Bus driver plowed into the truck from the rear.    Driver already doing wrong:

From the linked report:

......bus crashed into the rear of a truck carrying sugarcane, as it was crossing from the in-bound to the outbound lane.......