Lampang teacher under fire for broomstick beating of student

IMG_1256.jpg

A Lampang teacher faces severe backlash after using a broomstick to punish a fourth-grade student, resulting in a traumatic injury. The incident, reported last night, has led to a police complaint filed by the child’s distressed mother.

Yesterday at 8pm, the mother of a ten year old boy reported a disturbing case of school punishment to Deputy Investigator Thanes Panyathong at the Sobprab Police Station in Lampang province. The 30 year old woman, identified only by her pseudonym, A, accompanied by her son, known as Boy B, sought legal action after the child endured a severe beating from his classroom teacher for failing to complete his duties.

A described the circumstances leading to the discovery of her son’s injuries. She was alerted by a relative that her son had been hit by a teacher. Upon inspection, she was horrified to find her son’s buttocks covered in bruised and swollen patches.

Boy B explained that on the previous Friday, having neglected his tasks, he was called out by his teacher around 8am before classes commenced. The teacher, presumed to be his homeroom instructor, struck him three times with an object resembling a broomstick handle. Despite the child’s tears, the teacher’s harsh admonition was clear.

“If it hurts, remember not to do it again.”

The mother, who has never resorted to such physical punishment herself, expressed her view that the teacher’s actions were excessively violent. She acknowledges the need for discipline but deems the level of force used as unacceptable. The boy was subsequently sent for a medical examination at Sobprab Hospital, while preliminary inquiries with the mother were conducted.

Boy B’s 37 year old uncle, C, revealed that the child was initially reluctant to admit that he had been struck by the teacher. It was only after neighbours informed the boy’s mother that the extent of the injury was realised, provoking a strong emotional response from the family. The uncle expressed a desire for the teacher to apologise and take responsibility for the excessive punishment, reported Sanook.

A similar event was reported in June last year. A father in southern Thailand discovers bruises on his son, allegedly caused by a nursery teacher. He reports the incident to police, seeking justice for the abuse.

By Samantha Rose

Caption: Photo courtesy of Sanook

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

Wow! You have changed the story into your own narrative.

The Thai mob' as you put it, was in uproar because the foreigner 'kicked, (not pushed), a woman, not just a 'person'), off his, (not his - 'public property), steps.

There, I've stated the facts - not your manipulated 'facts'.

However, as a parent, I too would not be happy with just 'an apology'!

You know nothing of the real facts in Phuket because it hasn't been to court.So you continue to 'manipulate your narrative ' in your little way 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Aye, when I were a lad we got the “slipper” for not doing homework. 

Eh, we’d get the blackboard duster thrown at out heads!

Physical punishment that leaves marks is bad. 

Edited by Purdey
  • Agree 1

A fitting punishment would be to insert the broom handle in said teachers backside and send the clown to sweep the playground  

No violence no lube just do it  

Edited by Grumpy one
  • Haha 2

One of the things that kids are taught in Thai schools is that violence is okay. The uncle doesn't even want the police involved, just an apology. He knows that involving the police would be pointless anyway, I suppose. It usually is in such cases. How often do we read of the teacher, whether for assault or even rape, being punished? All gone quiet from the school.

Of course, the useless reporter could have called the school for a comment as any journalist would in the real world or face the sack for not doing their job properly, but that obviously never occurred to her or her equally useless editor. But then, look at the source.... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

You know nothing of the real facts in Phuket because it hasn't been to court.So you continue to 'manipulate your narrative ' in your little way 

The video is the facts ,give it a watch.

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

Aye, when I were a lad we got the “slipper” for not doing homework. 

Eh, we’d get the blackboard duster thrown at out heads!

Physical punishment that leaves marks is bad. 

Blackboard duster! I assiume that was the felt in a wooden block. In a carpentry practical lesson the master threw a small wooden block plane at the head of a student, but missed.

I don't agree with violent beatings and before using that technique an escape lane should be offered so that the violent conclusion can be bypassed. Therefore no violence is needed.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Ah,so uncle and it seems the mother is happy with just an apology! Sums up how pathetic the values of these people are. Of course some farang pushes someone off their steps and the Phuket Thai mob is in uproar. 

Not There Steps but government land steps 

Child beating is like this u beat 1 devil out and 10 in  never hit a child or a doctor       

This 'Teacher' should be jailed for child abuse, and assault causing bodily harm and injury.

No IFs or Buts. She should never be allowed to teach ever again. If she has kids send round social services to check them for abuse. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, mikecha said:

Not There Steps but government land steps 

Child beating is like this u beat 1 devil out and 10 in  never hit a child or a doctor       

Work that out . Translation?

21 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

It's a fine balancing act for sure..

JHC, there is no balancing in an adult teacher hitting a child student. You a parent?

10 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Wow! You have changed the story into your own narrative.

The Thai mob' as you put it, was in uproar because the foreigner 'kicked, (not pushed), a woman, not just a 'person'), off his, (not his - 'public property), steps.

There, I've stated the facts - not your manipulated 'facts'.

However, as a parent, I too would not be happy with just 'an apology'!

Has the kick been established as a fact?

1 hour ago, marin said:

JHC, there is no balancing in an adult teacher hitting a child student. You a parent?

If I'm a parent or not is none of your concern/business. 

I was raised on a farm and went to school where corporal punishment was an option. 

Sometimes I got punishment that I deserved, other times maybe not. 

However, from all that and time in the military I've learnt many a thing. Physical violence isn't necessarily the answer to everything. 

There are rules and there are penalties if you break said rules.  If you can't do the time then don't do the crime. 

In this instance I agree that the teacher has overstepped their remit.  Unknown what this child has or hasn't done. 

What is the school policy on corporal punishment?  Are the parents aware of the policy? 

At my school, teachers may administer punishment however it had to be recorded and approved by the senior teacher / headmaster. (This was back in the 60-70s). 

Is this still applicable today?  That could open a huge debate/discussion. 

We are all aware of the saying:

"Spare the rod and spoil the child" 

Sometimes I'm a firm believer in it, other times less so. 

On the basis of this report, the teacher was definitely in the wrong.