Foreign man kicks up a storm over discriminatory bike rental policy in Phuket

webfact

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Pot calling the Kettle black 🤣

Recently (high season) our local golf club increased their prices for 'foreigners' and withdrew the bonus lunch vouncher. It costs me 450 Baht more than the wife, and she gets a 150 Baht voucher.  The wife questioned them saying I was not a tourist and that I lived here (with her) - but TiT and we all just have to accept it (legal or not).  Although I do accept it, this is just one of the many reasons why I will not pay income taxes in Thailand.

I can't hold back the tears.

The injustice... the unfairness.

So glad Groucho isn't alive to see this tragedy.

Doesn't have to be racist or anything else. Their his bikes, his property, his business & his responsibility. His judgement should dictate who he hires to. I don't normally give tips, but Id pass on the Arabs as well.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I can't hold back the tears.

The injustice... the unfairness.

So glad Groucho isn't alive to see this tragedy.

Dont worry - you'll get over it - eventually.

Have another beer mate - that will help.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scouse123 said:

What's your plan to avoid paying?

You have to be registered with a Thai tax ID to pay income tax and there is a degree of scaremongering going on at the moment.

According to a friend of mine who knows more than many, works for a Thai newspaper, and is a long-term resident, reckons for now, just ignore all the hype completely, and await solid announcements.

Yes indeed - announcements and clarifications are coming - but when is the key question.

Malaysia ended up delaying this change for a few years - too many worms in the can.

Hopefully Thailand will tell all before July - but given they gave 3 months notice of change - maybe in January 2025.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I wonder if he also needs his wife to hold his hand to go to 7-11

It is not a myth or discrimination, it is a fact, Thai will take the bike and sell off all genuine parts

Thai have no need to rent a bike when they can easily buy, in many cases with no deposit at all

Even some bike repair shops, use to go rent a bike, take it back to their garage, strip off all the good parts, replace it with copies or badly used and return it.

Everything gets stripped, even rims and rubber

It is not foreign owned places but ALL places, do not rent to Thai

Remember when Bangkok joined all the greenie idiots all over the world and put in those bike lanes, and then had those rental bikes and scooters you could just grab and use (after scanning a card). They all 'disappeared' - a few people were charged - but most just said they left it xyz - they quickly learned how to remove/deactivate the GPS device/s. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chongalulu said:

My local rental shop has a sign " No blacks,no dogs,no Irish ”. Owner says he bought it as a souvenir on a trip to England in the 50s....

I can't help but wonder, if that was in Blackpool!?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Even some bike repair shops, use to go rent a bike, take it back to their garage, strip off all the good parts, replace it with copies or badly used and return it.

Everything gets stripped, even rims and rubber

Don't suppose you've got anything to back up that accusation, have you?  Urban myth doesn't count.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Frankie baby said:

Doesn't have to be racist or anything else. Their his bikes, his property, his business & his responsibility. His judgement should dictate who he hires to. I don't normally give tips, but Id pass on the Arabs as well.   

I have to ask. To whom would you pass on the Arabs? 🤣

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Well... It is discrimination.... and just like dual charging is disagreeable and discrimination against foreigners, this is an example of discrimination against Thai's...   

The practice of any discrimination, whether its against foreigners or Thai's is wrong - and just because Thai's practice discrimination against foreigners in many business practices here in Thailand (even hospitals etc)... that does not make the reverse any less wrong or justifiable. 

IF the Thai couple meet all the requirements. 

- Provide ID 

- Provide the required Deposit

- Show a Motorcycle license

Then there is no reason for the shop not to rent to them.

If there is any damage to the bike, that comes out of the deposit, if there is further damage (or nefarious goings on) the shop can involve the police. Also, surely the shop has insurance for renting out their bikes, which includes theft... no ?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1