I need a new Computer – But not a Laptop – Any advice .

tomgreen

My old Dell laptop running Linux is about to take its last breath ( swollen battery ) so I’m looking for ideas to replace it . I don’t really want another laptop . So I’m wondering about a Mini PC or small tower PC sort of thing . It will only be used for web surfing / torrenting / photos / music .

I’m planning to install Linux Mint on the new computer and connect it to an external monitor . 

Any ideas , suggestions or recommendations Please . 

Tom

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You could just replace the battery. Easily done. 

Hi , I looked at the cost of a new battery and its around 2,000 Baht , and the Laptop is really old , so knowing my luck I would buy and install a new battery and the week after the mother board would pack up 😀

Tom

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You could just replace the battery. Easily done. 

Some Dell's seem to have a battery issue. I use XPS13's and after about 3 years (of heavy use), the internal battery will swell and push up the touchpad and/or keyboard. It is an easy fix and less than 4,000 Baht to replace with genuine battery (2,000 Baht with non-genuine battery). Plenty available on Lazada. Watch tutorial on YouTube if not sure how to do. Minimal tools needed (a full set cost me less than 200 Baht on Lazada). Job done for about 4,000 Baht and good for another 3 years at minimum. No need to buy a new device and all the hassle of setting up O/S and applications again.

3 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Hi , I looked at the cost of a new battery and its around 2,000 Baht , and the Laptop is really old , so knowing my luck I would buy and install a new battery and the week after the mother board would pack up 😀

Tom.

And the new battery may not be a genuine one.

Thailand, hub of fakes.

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

My current one was built to spec, quite expensive

So is mine, 150k, it's getting on a bit now but still works perfectly for everything I do.

My computer doesn't have a memory problem though which is why it doesn't crash all the time.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

My old Dell laptop running Linux is about to take its last breath ( swollen battery ) so I’m looking for ideas to replace it . I don’t really want another laptop . So I’m wondering about a Mini PC or small tower PC sort of thing . It will only be used for web surfing / torrenting / photos / music .

I’m planning to install Linux Mint on the new computer and connect it to an external monitor . 

Tom

This 2nd hand dell on lazada would suffice with what you need to do.

Works with linux distros and still receives bios updates from dell.

Choice of 8 or 16gb ram

256 or 512 gb ssd

Has gb lan and wifi dual band

win 10/win 11 pro

hdmi and display port connections

Has onboard slot for m.2 ssd.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dell-optiplex-3060-micro-i5-8500t-mini-pc-i5044081741-s21328600941.html?

There is a sff version available of this as well if you want to install a low end graphic card such as gt710 to gt1030

Plenty of other new micro pc available on Lazada and shopee.

Edited by freeworld
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, tomgreen said:

Tom

Intel NUC i5, 16 GB RAM, 500 SSD has served me admirally for 6 years, with no problems whatsoever, Windows 11 Pro. HDMI into my 55 inch Samsing telly. Perfect.

Music production is the main use using Cakewalk.

Edited by KannikaP

54 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Tom

My Thai PC guy can get battery packs cheaper through Thai suppliers. Mine was 1200. Motherboard maybe 1800 baht.

Worth a try??

Highly advise mini PC.  I use BMax but that comes with Windows installed so perhaps you would be better with another (but get SSD).  Many listed on Lazada.  Better choice than all-in-one as if you have to travel easy to take and hook up to any TV with just HDMI cable.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Intel NUC i5, 16 GB RAM, 500 SSD has served me admirally for 6 years, with no problems whatsoever, Windows 11 Pro. HDMI into my 55 inch Samsing telly. Perfect.

I ditto that ref: Mini PC's.  I've had great luck with mine, which is a Voyo brand.  In other words, an off brand.  Bought it for my GF's father who was living in a retirement home with minimal space for a PC.  He kept it in a drawer and plugged it into the HDMI of his big screen TV when he used it.  It worked great for him for years, and for us since he passed about a year ago.

But if money's tight, I'd look into a 2nd hand PC from one of the IT malls like Fortune Town, the old Pantip Plaza (is it still there?) and some in Chinatown.  I'm sure every city in Thailand has one... 

For less than half the price of a new one, with specs that more than match today's entry level PC's.  For example, an 8th generation I7 will match a 13th generation I3 for benchmark speed.  Then you just need to make sure it'll take the desired OS.  For example, my 8 year old Asus won't take Win11, but the more I read about Win11, the less sad that makes me.  It's still plenty fast and very stable.

Caveat: Don't go too old lest you end up with serial ports and old timey video instead of HDMI.  Unless, like me, you have a real old printer or plotter that needs a serial or parallel port.  In my case, a cutting plotter.

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

For example, my 8 year old Asus won't take Win11, but the more I read about Win11, the less sad that makes me

Loads of ways to bypass the  W11 requirements, some even given by Microsoft. 

https://technastic.com/install-windows-11-unsupported-hardware-cpu-tpm/#Regedit_to_Install_Windows_11_on_Unsupported_CPU

• Like 2

Would you consider a tablet with  keyboard.  I was skeptical at first but my IPad with a keyboard has met most of my needs.  I plan on buying a new IPad this year.  Samsung makes soon good tablets with keyboards and the Chinese brands are even cheaper. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw stacks of PCs like that in computer malls like Fortune and years ago in Pantip.

I think that's the key to quality.  Look for a stack of the same model, indicating they probably all came from the same company.  Also, look for the asset sticker that many companies slap on their PC's.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, tomgreen said:

Tom

Old laptops love Linux. If it was sufficient before the battery issues then just replace (or have replaced) the battery. If it was lacking then go for something new. 

17 hours ago, tomgreen said:

suggestions

Just buy it! Try making a decision on your own, it's rather rewarding! :whistling:

Edited by 2baht
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, impulse said:
16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I ditto that ref: Mini PC's.  I've had great luck with mine, which is a Voyo brand.  In other words, an off brand.  Bought it for my GF's father who was living in a retirement home with minimal space for a PC.  He kept it in a drawer and plugged it into the HDMI of his big screen TV when he used it.  It worked great for him for years, and for us since he passed about a year ago.

But if money's tight, I'd look into a 2nd hand PC from one of the IT malls like Fortune Town, the old Pantip Plaza (is it still there?) and some in Chinatown.  I'm sure every city in Thailand has one... 

For less than half the price of a new one, with specs that more than match today's entry level PC's.  For example, an 8th generation I7 will match a 13th generation I3 for benchmark speed.  Then you just need to make sure it'll take the desired OS.  For example, my 8 year old Asus won't take Win11, but the more I read about Win11, the less sad that makes me.  It's still plenty fast and very stable.

Caveat: Don't go too old lest you end up with serial ports and old timey video instead of HDMI.  Unless, like me, you have a real old printer or plotter that needs a serial or parallel port.  In my case, a cutting plotter.

I'm also a fan of mini-pcs. I bought a low spec intel NUC (Celeron)  and upgraded the Ram to 16GB the M2 SSD to 512GB from 256GB. It came with Win 11 Pro pre-installed, which I removed and put Ubuntu on instead. The reason being is that QBittorrent (the main application) runs much better under Ubuntu than Windows IMHO. It's plugged into my main TV. I use it to find & download & play media, as well as general web browsing and music. It works very well. If my main pc (self assembled) ever dies I will have no hesitation in buying another NUC with a higher spec than my existing NUC to replace it. 

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I'm also a fan of mini-pcs. I bought a low spec intel NUC (Celeron)  and upgraded the Ram to 16GB the M2 SSD to 512GB from 256GB. It came with Win 11 Pro pre-installed, which I removed and put Ubuntu on instead. The reason being is that QBittorrent (the main application) runs much better under Ubuntu than Windows IMHO. It's plugged into my main TV. I use it to find & download & play media, as well as general web browsing and music. It works very well. If my main pc (self assembled) ever dies I will have no hesitation in buying another NUC with a higher spec than my existing NUC to replace it. 

My NUC is so basic that it doesn't have an M2 slot, but I use it exactly as Mutt does, as an entertainment/media centre. However after getting a IPTV app from UK, and instalIed via Bluetooth, I don't even need to torrent anything as there are too many movies & series to last my lifetime out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A contractor I have worked with over the past few years upgraded all their workstations to Lenovo ThinkCenter mini desktops. Some of the applications we run are very heavy of processor and graphics use, but we've never experienced any issues. When my (under the) desktop finally expires, I will be getting either Lenovo or ASUS. Here's a couple currently in my lazada wish list.

This is the one the contractors started using a few years ago and already been replaced with the newer versions.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4824517797-s20066726356.html

This is the higher spec ASUS. I have brand loyalty with their laptop products.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3479576503-s12907176349.html

I have this one in my wish list for the pure novelty of it, but it seems to pack quite a punch for the sub-miniature size.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3774452239-s21127748311.html

If you need a screen, look at the USB-C and/or mini-HDMI ones available.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i5050921077-s21357235989.html

For keyboard and mouse, I recommend Logitech MX Keyboard and Logitech Signature M650L Wireless Mouse connected via bluetooth. I use both of these with my laptop.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/logitech-mx-keys-s-advanced-illuminated-wireless-keyboard-for-window-1-i4663670608-s20733909198.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/logitech-signature-m650l-wireless-mouse-bluetooth-and-usb-graphite-i5088701936.html

• Thanks 1

Me, I prefer custom-built, taking into account expert recommendations. Some of my computer parts have been through 4-5 builds. I enjoy working in my classic, indestructible C70 case.

That said, Beelink minis get some good buzz. Seems supported:

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/beelink-mini-pc/

Mint, no problem. 

https://www.bee-link.com/cms/news/detail?id=159 

On 3/16/2024 at 2:21 PM, tomgreen said:

Tom

Firstly I would search for a replacement battery on Lazada. They have lots of batteries you wouldn't expect to be available.

I also use Linux Mint and after lots of research it seems a general consensus that Lenovo hardware works best with Mint.

I previously had a Lenovo Mixx Hybrid that was really crap and turned me off Lenovo so when I needed a new one I really wanted something else but I found most of the ones I was interested in had some known driver/compatibility issues with Linux Mint so I ended up getting Lenovo again (Yoga) and it is the best computer I have ever had. Mint runs fine. I got a 1TB HDD. I have a smaller Windows install which I only use when Windows is needed and mostly I use the Mint insallation. Linux filesystems are different to windows and you need to make choices during installation if setting up dual boot. I think it is Ext4 instead of FAT32 etc.

The only driver issue I had was with wifi after install. The common fix for that is updating the kernel to the recent one: update manager > view > linux kernels but you may need to tether or use mobile data or something to download an update from memory.

I used the Lenovo website to buy online. I think they get configured to your custom specs and shipped from China. Arrived quite fast with Flash Express. Well packed and had to sign for it.

• Agree 1