Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

6 hours ago, Jimbo 12345 said:

Should have stopped simple,  to many QUINCY'S on this site,  think you all know it all,  you know FA,  all guessing,  he did this he did that,  I know this for sure,  thai lady took the video,  if you understand thai,  she's shouting to let the cop go.  15 years each,  

Agree. If they are given the maximum jail sentence for each individual charge. they should get 15 years and one month. 

Just now, findlay13 said:

That'd stop a majority of posters on here

Weeell, it is a chat forum, and nothing that is said here makes any difference to anything.........:sorry:...............😋

Except visa stuff....🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

We don't know, the yobs may be pissed, smoked a few joints, snorted some stuff, but I am sure it will all come out in the wash......

Up to now, nicked for..

Trying to bribe an officer.

Robbery.

Obstruction of a police officer.

Physical attack on a police officer.

No driving licence.

But no mention of what these 2 numbskulls have accused the police of yet, it better be good.......😋

It was a prank for tiktok?

12 hours ago, neeray said:

Despite all the sh#t they're going to end up in, had these two crazy KIWIs pulled this stunt in USA, they'd probably be going home in cargo, and in coffins.

You are right there. I watch a YouTube channel called "PoliceActivity". They show body cam footage of shootings and 95% of the perps end up dead.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, superal said:

All ways two sides to a story but the NZs guys account will no doubt be ignored . What we do know is that the two NZ guys did not stop when told to and one had no licence but does that warrant a shooting ?

Another BS comment about these two guys who fled their home country to take refuge in a foreign land. They must be treated harshly. All these runaway refugees must be treated harshly. We all know that they will be prosecuted unless they offer a large amount of cash underhandedly. Thai police are very restrained  and polite. I have never seen them raise their voices or try to shoot anyone unless a drug peddler is running away. My friend was even arrested for illegal substance possession and consumption. He said the police were extremely polite and showed great patience. 

Thailand Revokes Visas of Tourists Attacking Policeman

1710751135_167254-tnamcot.jpg

PHUKET, March 18 (TNA) – Authorities have revoked visas of two New Zealanders after they assaulted a traffic police officer in Phuket on Saturday.

They have been detained as the police oppose bail. If approved by the court, they will be taken into custody by the immigration police.

Pol.Snr.Sgt.Maj. Somsak Noo-ied, a traffic police officer is now in hospital after he was injured during an incident on March 16 while on duty patrolling Chao Fa Thawan-ok Road.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2024-03-18

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, there is nothing to discuss as you make up a story and ignore facts. 

Nothing to do with not knowing what devil's advocate means.

What 'facts' do you have ?

We see a video of one NZ guy disarming and subduing a police officer, then handing the gun over to his friend who makes it safe - those are the visual facts. 

The rest of this is the 'story' we are being told by the media...    I'm somewhat cynical of the 'story' as it is currently being reported and question whether or not there is more to this story than meets the eye and as such have offered other possibilities. 

If you want to blindly believe everything you read in the media thats up to you - but suggesting there is 'nothing to discuss' because you believe what you have 'read in coconuts or The Thaiger is 'facts'  suggest you are a dash naive. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

What 'facts' do you have ?

We see a video of one NZ guy disarming and subduing a police officer, then handing the gun over to his friend who makes it safe - those are the visual facts. 

The rest of this is the 'story' we are being told by the media...    I'm somewhat cynical of the 'story' as it is currently being reported and question whether or not there is more to this story than meets the eye and as such have offered other possibilities. 

If you want to blindly believe everything you read in the media thats up to you - but suggesting there is 'nothing to discuss' because you believe what you have 'read in coconuts or The Thaiger is 'facts'  suggest you are a dash naive. 

So far their visas are in the bin, over what, a traffic stop.............🤣

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We see a video of one NZ guy disarming and subduing a police officer

What authority do they have to do this? And it's not "disarming and subduing" but stealing a police weapon and physically assaulting a police officer.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Deez said:

300,000 baht each to start with, if they are lucky.

Their parents have given away over 1 million dollars (not sure if NZD or USD) in political donations. They also sold an education business for 10 million. Makes me wonder about their net worth. 

The Thais might want to add a couple of extra zeros to your number.

Edited by zakalwe
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

ection 167 of the Criminal Law: giving or promising to give any assets or benefits to government officials. The penalty is imprisonment of up to seven years and a fine of up to 140,000 baht.

They mean;

NOT giving or promising to give any assets to government officials? 

35 minutes ago, ravip said:

Why did the NZ need to fight for the gun if the Police officer hadn't pulled it out already ?

Thats what I'm also thinking...   

.... either the NZ guy is a complete lunatic and because he's insane attacked the policeman because he didn't like being chased and charged. 

OR... 

.... the Policeman drew the gun and NZ guy thought the Policeman was going to shoot him, perhaps a miss-fire had already occurred which made NZ guy even more concerned that the Policeman was going to shoot them so he decided to 'fight for his life' and subdue the Policeman and make the gun safe. 

I'n the video I don't see the NZ guy attacking the policeman.... I see him getting control of the gun and making it safe. 

So it is against the rules for a cop to pull out his gun? IF he did pull it out, he definitely would have some reason to do it.

How much of a reason would he have needed ??   Angry because the NZ guys wouldn't stop ?? is that enough of a reason to pull a gun ?

How many members herein has experienced FIRST HAND, where a Thai cop pull out a gun on him/her on the road?

Never (first hand), but I've read of plenty of stories on here of Policemen shooting at people in car and bike chases etc..  

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats what I'm also thinking...   

.... either the NZ guy is a complete lunatic and because he's insane attacked the policeman because he didn't like being chased and charged. 

OR... 

.... the Policeman drew the gun and NZ guy thought the Policeman was going to shoot him, perhaps a miss-fire had already occurred which made NZ guy even more concerned that the Policeman was going to shoot them so he decided to 'fight for his life' and subdue the Policeman and make the gun safe. 

I'n the video I don't see the NZ guy attacking the policeman.... I see him getting control of the gun and making it safe. 

How much of a reason would he have needed ??   Angry because the NZ guys wouldn't stop ?? is that enough of a reason to pull a gun ?

Never (first hand), but I've read of plenty of stories on here of Policemen shooting at people in car and bike chases etc..  

On certain routes it's well known that trucks or cars full to the brim with drugs will attempt to evade or ignore checkpoints and make a run for it normally shootouts will take place

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzzzz said:

since i got my Motorcycle thai license ( having only held a car license for 25 years here)
back in Feb 2023 i have not been stopped ONCE at any check point

I think it has to do with I ride a honda wave which are not rented to tourists anymore  🙂

regarding this incident:
You DONT assault a thai policeman Or any police men anywhere

i've lived here a LONG time and have ever heard of a tourist or local getting shot at a check point UNLESS they were really bad people>

so how could they be in "fear for their lives" which is what their lawyer will claim

I remember riding my old wave pedal gears back when T-Rex was roaming these plains !

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We see a video of one NZ guy disarming and subduing a police officer

What authority do they have to do this?

Obviously they have no authority whatsoever...  and thats why there are in a lot of trouble.

But, they are also alive...   I can only think of a couple of reasons to try and take a gun off a policeman. 

1) Insanity

2) Grave concern for personal welfare

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

And it's not "disarming and subduing" but stealing a police weapon and physically assaulting a police officer.

That depends on perspective - I'm not trying to defend the NZ guys... 

But, I'd like to know the truth as I don't buy the story as it is currently being told and the video certainly appears that the NZ were subduing the police officer and making the Gun safe rather than 'attacking / assaulting and steeling'... 

So... a lot of the story comes down to what happened before this point (that we see in the video).

Two sides to every story - I think we need to read / hear of the 'other' side (of the NZ guys).

Big Joke threatened to blacklist them.  LOL. Getting out of the LOS is more of an issued than coming back at the moment.  

Surprising no firearms offences so far but that might come later. There are charged with theft, presumably the gun.  Would think they could be charged with illegal possession of a firearm in a public place and discharging a firearm in a public place. They might also be charged with threatening a cop with a firearm, although it looks as if they took his gun to avoid being shot, not to shot him.

It goes to show the benefit of a back up gun in an ankle holster like many American cops carry, also he wouldn't have been able to get to one while in a head lock. 

Hard to say what motivated them.  The cop said they offered a bribe.  Was it the opposite that he demanded  bribe?  Anyway they were charged with driving without licences and therefore were a menace to others on the roads, particularly if speeding.  Why not just pay a fine or a bribe and enjoy the rest of their holiday?  They will probably have a few years in a nasty Thai prison to contemplate that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

So far their visas are in the bin, over what, a traffic stop.............🤣

Yeah... clearly they were stupid and allowed a situation to escalate. 

I've read on this forum a number of times how posters state that when the Policeman at a check point signals to pull over, they just continue through and ignore them... 

It would appear the NZ guys tried to do this and were chased....       very stupid of them do get into the situation in the first place. 

I'm just very sceptical as to how this turned into a wrestling match for the gun. 

Also how a shot was fired ? aren't guns supposed to have a safety, and you have to cock-it to chamber a bullet etc.. ?

56 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

Agree. If they are given the maximum jail sentence for each individual charge. they should get 15 years and one month. 

Unlikely for first offences.  5 years a piece more likely plus fines.

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely spot on

These kids need to be punished no doubt , BUT ...2 wrongs don't make a right ,and they need a listening ear to change their behaviour such as anger management 

Kids?

36 and 38 years old.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah... clearly they were stupid and allowed a situation to escalate. 

I've read on this forum a number of times how posters state that when the Policeman at a check point signals to pull over, they just continue through and ignore them... 

It would appear the NZ guys tried to do this and were chased....       very stupid of them do get into the situation in the first place. 

I'm just very sceptical as to how this turned into a wrestling match for the gun. 

Also how a shot was fired ? aren't guns supposed to have a safety, and you have to cock-it to chamber a bullet etc.. ?

If you are having a tussle with a gun the safety can very easily be moved to "fire". It is a tiny thingy.

If the cop kept one up the spout, just in case, then voilà, bang........😝

I was in a lineup doing PP (Police Pistol 1) training, all ready for the exercise when the bloke next to me put a round in the ground next to my foot, never had the safety on..:unsure:

Edited by transam

13 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Big Joke threatened to blacklist them.  LOL. Getting out of the LOS is more of an issued than coming back at the moment.  

Surprising no firearms offences so far but that might come later. There are charged with theft, presumably the gun.  Would think they could be charged with illegal possession of a firearm in a public place and discharging a firearm in a public place. They might also be charged with threatening a cop with a firearm, although it looks as if they took his gun to avoid being shot, not to shot him.

It goes to show the benefit of a back up gun in an ankle holster like many American cops carry, also he wouldn't have been able to get to one while in a head lock. 

Hard to say what motivated them.  The cop said they offered a bribe.  Was it the opposite that he demanded  bribe?  Anyway they were charged with driving without licences and therefore were a menace to others on the roads, particularly if speeding.  Why not just pay a fine or a bribe and enjoy the rest of their holiday?  They will probably have a few years in a nasty Thai prison to contemplate that.

I believe the bribe was offered after they'd been arrested. Way too far down the rabbit hole by then.

7 hours ago, Dolf said:

Give you 2 choices-

1 pay 200 baht or so for no licence (500 baht maybe)

2 assault a cop, punch him, steal his gun get years in jail

How dumb can these 2 be?

that's why i think there might be more to this story... 

4 hours ago, ryandb said:

you mentioned the traffic stop so I assumed you were referring to a video of the initial interaction and stop, only the restraining and disarming part is on page 1

What's happening around the 2:20-minute mark? Bunch of cops just standing around?

Edited by Peabody

14 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Unlikely for first offences.  5 years a piece more likely plus fines.

With millionaire parents, it wouldn't shock me if something is worked out and they don't do any jail time.

• Agree 1