To die (with wealth) or not to die, that is the question.

Drawing down  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Not to die.

That is the answer.

Only the good die young.

Wow, so intuitive, insightful, and profound! Your even able to defy the basic laws of the universe. Did you come up with all that goodness and wisdom all by yourself Billy Joel?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rwill said:

The problem is you never know how long you will live and what emergencies may arise.

Correct so in my opinion the question can never be answered.

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's so sad to think a person can live their life without any children. 

It's my kids that keep me going, giving me the strength to succeed, in facing the world's daily challenges. 

Couldn't think of living in a world without my kids. 

Mixed thoughts on that one.  Raising my daughter has been a major highlight of my life ... BUT ...

... not a thing for everyone, as know more than a few, most, that should have never had kids.   And myself, never lived with (married or living together) someone that I'd consider mother material.  Even present wife and a great mother, had to be told, 'I'm the only and final word on daughter's raising', though she has adjusted and been excellent in her own right.

Took some adjusting for her to realize, 'daughter gets free speech, and allow to express ANY thoughts' .. IF .. done right.  Not really a Thai or Asian thing.

Also couldn't see raising a kid when working towards retirement, as simply would have sacrificed too much of my time & money (yea I know, selfish) to play parent instead of retiring.   After retirement, yea, too easy, and had the time & finances to do it right.

Though still didn't meet anyone worthy of motherhood.   That all said & done, not raising our daughter, or having, wouldn't have made much difference in my life.   It does give one purpose, but playing single or DINK lifestyle would have been just as much fun.  Not knowing how rewarding it can be (either I was a very good parent, or just lucky), I don't think I would have missed that much, especially if the kid was an A-hole.

Although since a village orphan, could of just dump the little sh!t off at grandparents, and never looked back ... :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Was discussing this with my Wife the other day as we  have amassed a  lot over the years. The  problem is who to give it to, WE both neither trust any Thai charities and western ones  seems to spend  inordinate amounts on "management"

Open to suggestions................erm not the obvious, must be NON religious  based prefer education inc anti religion

There are plenty of animal rescue centers in Thailand 

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

At 82 I find my needs are simple, so the idea of suddenly becoming extravagant and "living it up" just doesn't appeal. Consequently my Thai partner will inherit all and do with it as she wishes.

All the best to you Giddyup💜

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

50's is too young to retire , you need to be doing something

As for the World changing ,yes I believe Thailand will become another Singapore 

If I wasn't an irresponsible idiot and having way too much fun, I would have retired even earlier than 45/46 yrs old.   Didn't expect to live this long (69), or I might have planned an earlier retire.

I don't need a schedule or a routine to be happy, and really couldn't imaging working another 20 yrs especially if it was a 9-5pm, 5 day work week.   As last 10 years, I worked, it was a 2 day (32 hrs) work week (salaried), which left the other 5 days for me, whether paying myself what I deserved, or simply having fun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If I wasn't an irresponsible idiot and having way too much fun, I would have retired even earlier than 45/46 yrs old.   Didn't expect to live this long (69), or I might have planned an earlier retire.

I don't need a schedule or a routine to be happy, and really couldn't imaging working another 20 yrs especially if it was a 9-5pm, 5 day work week.   As last 10 years, I worked, it was a 2 day (32 hrs) work week (salaried), which left the other 5 days for me, whether paying myself what I deserved, or simply having fun.

32 hours in 2 days ??

Whatever’s left will go to my grandchildren via a trustfund at 73 and on my own I recently decided to splash the cash on a Hybrid Toyota but there will still be value in that when I’ve gone I’ve also decided to make a good donation to the children’s home where I spent my early years yes after all these years it is still going strong  there are no pockets in shrouds you cannot take it with you 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

similar problem and age although if  I find someone who seems  willing and honest, hard  working in anything Ill try to help them.

nice. where can we find angel investors line yourself? are you at the red cross?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

32 hours in 2 days ??

Yea, 2 double 8 hr shifts.   If I'm there, might as well knock out the work week in 2 days.  Just gave the last day (8 hr shift) away.   The company didn't care who worked your shift, so just find a like minded person, and work doubles.  If on 1st shift, trade with someone on 2nd shift.  I couldn't be bothered with coming in for an 8 hr shift, unless it was overtime.

You could even trade weeks at a time with people.  Which was great since working for an airlines, and use the flight bennies to travel, for pleasure or recon retirement options.   I really was having way too much fun.  And still made 45-50k a year at that job.   

When I moved to TH, Sept 2000, and left the company April 2001, I was in TH more than at work, (Memphis airport), as the commute was a killer.  So used up all my sick time, OJI time, and vacation time. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, 2 double 8 hr shifts.   If I'm there, might as well knock out the work week in 2 days.  Just gave the last day (8 hr shift) away.   The company didn't care who worked your shift, so just find a like minded person, and work doubles.  If on 1st shift, trade with someone on 2nd shift.  I couldn't be bothered with coming in for an 8 hr shift, unless it was overtime.

You could even trade weeks at a time with people.  Which was great since working for an airlines, and use the flight bennies to travel, for pleasure or recon retirement options.   I really was having way too much fun.  And still made 45-50k a year at that job.   

When I moved to TH, Sept 2000, and left the company April 2001, I was in TH more than at work, (Memphis airport), as the commute was a killer.  So used up all my sick time, OJI time, and vacation time. 

Obviously that company have never heard of fatigue management 😳

4 hours ago, mancub said:

We always believed in the old adage "there's no pockets in shrouds"  or "he who dies with the most toys wins"

....and then the kids came along.

Also> "There's no roof racks on a coffin"

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Will that be long do you think?

Who knows.  As dear old Dad used to say, "We're all just penciled in."  He lived to 95 and my Mom to 101.  I am 72 and in relatively good health.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PJ71 said:

50 is a great age to retire if you can financially.

The reason most people continue to work beyond that age ( or at all ) is coz they have no choice.

There's more to life than working!

That is so true. I lived payday to payday most of my life.I got a job at 25yo and stuck it out for exacly 30 years and quit. I lost a fair chunk of my pension but could draw it right away which I did. I've been in LOS ever since and collect my govt pensions and have more disposable $ than ever. Now at 73 I think I did the right thing. 

1 minute ago, jaideedave said:

That is so true. I lived payday to payday most of my life.I got a job at 25yo and stuck it out for exacly 30 years and quit. I lost a fair chunk of my pension but could draw it right away which I did. I've been in LOS ever since and collect my govt pensions and have more disposable $ than ever. Now at 73 I think I did the right thing. 

Good for you.

55 is my target as well but possibly sooner....

• Like 1

It's a strange surreal dilemma. What is advisable to spend your money on seems to change on a day be day basis as you get older. Buy a new car? How many more years will you be able to drive? Buy a house/condo? What if you have to repatriate or move into an assisted care facility? Eat more lavishly? Didn't your doctor tell you you should be trying to eat a plant based diet? Lavish vacations? Maybe, but, God, where to go? Everywhere seems overrun with tourists.

On the other hand, so much economic uncertainty from currencies, entitlement programs, cost of living, financial crashes. Should you just hunker down and economize as much as possible? Feed off of the comfort that a large nest egg provides?

I'm finding it increasingly harder to find things I want to spend money on. More and more, I seem to be going the simple life route, gardening, reading, language study, exercise. Seems to be a fulfilling life, but I sometimes worry that my world is getting smaller and that might not be healthy.

One way to look at this dilemma might be to reason that "health is wealth" and spend whatever you need to keep yourself mentally, socially, and physically fit. If you don't have any kids or a wife, you can always leave it to a good charity, which would be an equally satisfying resolution.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

It's a strange surreal dilemma. What is advisable to spend your money on seems to change on a day be day basis as you get older. Buy a new car? How many more years will you be able to drive? Buy a house/condo? What if you have to repatriate or move into an assisted care facility? Eat more lavishly? Didn't your doctor tell you you should be trying to eat a plant based diet? Lavish vacations? Maybe, but, God, where to go? Everywhere seems overrun with tourists.

On the other hand, so much economic uncertainty from currencies, entitlement programs, cost of living, financial crashes. Should you just hunker down and economize as much as possible? Feed off of the comfort that a large nest egg provides?

I'm finding it increasingly harder to find things I want to spend money on. More and more, I seem to be going the simple life route, gardening, reading, language study, exercise. Seems to be a fulfilling life, but I sometimes worry that my world is getting smaller and that might not be healthy.

One way to look at this dilemma might be to reason that "health is wealth" and spend whatever you need to keep yourself mentally, socially, and physically fit. If you don't have any kids or a wife, you can always leave it to a good charity, which would be an equally satisfying resolution.

I like your thoughts about a simple life and focusing on one's health, but a lot of the rest of what you wrote sounds a bit like someone who is too fearful and lives inside a box. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? So live a little...

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Ben Zioner you sound a very savvy guy , did you sell all your Pawnbroking business or still have them.? 

May I ask if you remember what the loan interest rates were back then?

Mind you ,you need to be shrewd to run a pawnbrokers business, I used to love watching that family up in Detroit with their pawnbrokering ,what was the show called again ?

I have never been the father of "the lovely little daughter", even though though I can relate to this song, amongst the greatest.

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

What a morbid topic to start the day with...

I am all for building colossal monuments to oneself. Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair! level sh🙉t.

Edited by fondue zoo

Fact is, you are going to die and all is left behind.

IF you have a buck load of money, maybe think of spending on something worthwhile, giving.

I dont think, hard to find a "project" in Thailand, is difficult. Just look around and you will see.

Maybe give elderly people a rollator?! Maybe buy a computer for a school?

Though im not Jeff Bezos rich, I helped out sending money to Thailand for repairing for mom's roof.

No, they didnt ask, I just decided to do so. Surprised them. OK the surprise was, the amount.

Couldnt have mom spend all her savings on the roof with nothing left.

I didnt have to do so, but wanted. It is just up to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Obviously that company have never heard of fatigue management 😳

Yea they knew, as 2 doubles in a row was the limit, and no triples allowed.  Although some stations were a little lax on enforcement, as long a nothing went wrong, they were pretty agreeable.  Though 3 shift in a row, definitely not allowed, ever.