What devices are best for constant dog attacks?

I bought a referee's whistle to hang around my neck to use whilst cycling, but I've never been chased so not sure if it is a deterrent or not, and after some deliberation I decided I would be safer on an indoor exercise bike, so bought one. Anyone want to buy a whistle. 

21 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Personally, I use an air pellet pistol, plastic rounds. No permanent damage, and if you're lucky enough to connect, a mild sting. The sound scares them off more than the sting. The few times locals have seen me do this, they've cheered. The legality of these pistols is a very grey area. Don't use if there are any BiB's present.

Damn sounded good till the legality part

I bought a couple of small cattle prods in Oz before I left for this reason. These were designed for small cattle. They are about the size of a torch. Tried it out on one dog in Oz and when ever it saw me after that it ran away. A couple chances to use here I didn't have it with me.

Use to see a dog regularly around the bar area here in CM and sometimes gave it food and seemed ok and I never threatened him. One night I was heading to the area down a back soi. He was lying under a bush. He looked up as I walked past. I saw out the corner of my eye as I did pass he got up and started following me., thought nothing of it. Next thing, ouch, bit me on the back of the leg, drew blood. A course of Rabies injections followed but could not get the dog to pay for them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think this could be one of the most effective 'Go-to' for self protection against a couple of dogs which show aggression towards you and approach.... 

Although, once a pack exceeds a certain critical mass they are not fearful of anything...   I'd hope that a 'zap' of one of these things is enough for a couple of dogs to yelp and run off and the others to learn a follow. 

Its also less 'offensive' than carrying and shooting a powerful BB Gun which I suspect may even be illegal and highlight the 'farang' as an aggressor rather than protecting themself, whereas the optics of carrying a cattle-prod is more obviously about self protection. 

ever use one ?seems like a good idea  

When I go out for an early morning run , I take this light from my bike with me and set it to strobe. I have been using this device for over 5 years now and it works a treat on aggressive dogs , they cannot help but stare at the flashing light and are , of course temporarily blinded. I have become so used to running with this that I don't even have to break my running stride whenever I encounter any dogs ..

On 3/21/2024 at 2:18 PM, 2long said:

I feel that there's some exaggeration in the OP.

Anyone being repeatedly 'attacked' by dogs would surely either be too injured to return or type on a keyboard.

Dogs that bark, don't usually bite especially feral dogs which do not have a fence or gate or human land to protect.

If you show fear, they will advance.

If you stand your ground, they will stop.

If you reach to the ground (pretending to pick up a stone) they will back off.

I know that there will be members saying I'm wrong, but I deal with feral dogs every day, and most are my friends. Those who want to be aggressive will always back off and not return, without anyone getting hurt.

As @VocalNealrightly says, they're pretty simple creatures that thrive on fear and work in packs.

Don't turn your back or let them surround you.

Don't be afraid if you're an adult.

Waiting for criticism, but I don't care.

"they're pretty simple creatures that thrive on fear and work in packs."  Just like certain Thai guys, get them one on one and they will cr@p themselves.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Carrying a stick looks threatening, that alone may kick them off, better to have a telescopic baton in a waist bag.

On bicycles is more difficult, i kicked one in the head 3 times the other day, kept coming.

The feeders and the alpha males need putting down 

I have battered a few dogs who were attacking me while riding a bike by using a big stone. Just slow down and let the leading dog get level with you on your left hand side then BOOM, that is if you are right handed.

I bike most days and used to have problems with soi dogs. I now have a taser bolted to my handlebars. If dogs start to chase me, I deploy the taser which emits a loud crackling noise that dogs are afraid of (like they are frightened of the loud bangs made by fireworks). The taser just makes a noise...doesn't harm the dogs. You can buy them on Lazada:
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1101-i5031043890-s21271785118.html?

Edited by thaiowl
  • Love It 1

An Irish Shalayli 😂😅😂one wack around the head and it won't bother you again. They'll be eating it in China within 24 hrs 😂😅😂

Edited by Toby1947
  • Like 1

To me you have two options. Spread the love or be aggressive. Option #1: Be aggressive by getting a squirt gun. Fill it with a bleach & water mixture. More water and a little bleach. When you think you are in danger, then squirt the dog and they will retreat. Option #2: Spread the love. Dogs LOVE treats. So get yourself some dog treats and when confronted by the dogs show them some love by giving them a dog treat. Now they will be your best friend forever. (special note. Make sure you always bring treats with you). Of course, I recommend Option #2, because Love trumps everything.

24 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I have battered a few dogs who were attacking me while riding a bike by using a big stone. Just slow down and let the leading dog get level with you on your left hand side then BOOM, that is if you are right handed.

That means you have to stop to pick up a big stone? I don't want to carry anything as it's so rare but a kick to the head usually works

On 3/21/2024 at 1:27 PM, NONG CHOK said:

Every time I walk to my local super market I get attacked by dogs. What devices are recommended to get these walking flea bags to back off. The problem is the tour buses are parked there and the drivers give the dogs their left overs. If this were to cease the dogs would move on.

Get one of those devices that issue an Ultrasound whistle, which REALLY annoys them and causes them to run away  !
OR, carry some dog food, { looks like small biscuits }, and throw them into / towards the dogs, and AWAY from you  !

The dogs will follow the food and leave you alone  !

On 3/21/2024 at 1:49 PM, VocalNeal said:

Dogs have quite simple brains. At some time in the past you have threatened one or more of them and now they remember you as hostile.

Dogs are sensitive. They can smell that you are afraid of them. Your sweat will tell. And this makes you to become a prey.

The best device for constant dog attacks is a taxi to take you to a new location to live. If that doesn't work after a few attempts, try an airplane. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That means you have to stop to pick up a big stone? I don't want to carry anything as it's so rare but a kick to the head usually works

No, I always carry a big stone in the bikes basket.

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

No, I always carry a big stone in the bikes basket.

Yeah stones work well if no other way. No need to actually aim at the dog just the noise and sight of a stone flying along the road should do the trick. If walking, just the act of bending down to pick a stone up will scare most of them off as they are well used to Thai's throwing things at them.

Problem is if a dog even just breaks your skin (or where do you draw the line exactly?) it's off to the hospital for multiple rabies jabs so it's not worth taking any chances.

After years of jogging in Thailand I would say the best way is just to carry a few dog biscuits to give them. Instant friends. Certainly, especially if you have problems with dogs near where you live it's worth thinking about.

I will say that after dozens of times (more probably) that aggressive noisy dogs have tried to get the better of me just carrying an umbrella has also been 100% effective. There are some viscous ones available in shops with metal pointed tips that won't get you into trouble with the law (I have never had to actually hurt a dog with one I hasten to say, the threat is enough) but just a 120 Baht 7/11 one will do. 

The thing is, unless it's a "devil" dog ie pit bull etc etc in which case say your prayers and be prepared for a fight to the death, the ordinary alpha male in a pack of soi dogs is a great big coward. No point anyone arguing against that point it has happened to me more times than I can remember over the past 30 years or so. 

If you are carrying an umbrella it will not cross that line to get to you. Just stop, face it and keep the brolly "aimed" low at it. 

They just bark and snarl and seem to be panicking about losing face with the other dogs now a farang has actually chosen to call their bluff and not run away and can't think what to do. Once it know's it's not your boss just back off and away you go and they save face by "chasing you off" and away they go back to the pack.

20 years ago I used to carry pepper spray (and worse) everywhere as dogs do seem to like joggers. Very effective but not legal so best avoided.

I well remember going for a late evening run in Ubon Ratchatani many years ago and turned a tight bend in town and surprised a couple of Alsatians just a few feet away from me.

Very unusual to see even one but two is very rare. They were startled and probably due to that were obviously intent on harm and luckily, due to it being night time I was actually carrying a very strong and very big can of spray of some sort in my hand and let rip with it straight into their faces. In a couple of seconds the two big aggresive dogs turned into meeping puppies. 

That's one of the very few times I ever had to use spray and I would far rather have not had to use it but suddenly running, almost literally, into two large Alsatians in the dark I had no time to think of any other escape plan other than being carted off by an ambulance in bits.

Far more often than not though, it's not the dogs that come at you barking and snarling you need to worry about it's the ones that come at you quietly and unseen from the back, like assassins. Then they rip a chunk out of you and run away.

Not much you can do about them unless you have eyes in the back of your head. 

Edited by Simon1287

Most of the people responding here seem to be talking about soi dogs, that is to say, they live in cities. Running around just about every possible and impossible trail around our village in Isaan, I only once got bitten, by a dog I thought I knew well enough to trust but had just had some whelps and so got very aggressive. Most dogs will bark and snarl before actually attacking, this one quietly ran up behind me and gave me a nip. I'm afraid that dog had disappeared the next day as I did complain.

I tend to plan my running routes in terms of 1: dogs? and 2: possibility of finding sticks lying around near them? 

I found a new route near me. First time: aggression from two farm dogs. I shouted, they removed themselves.(Never see Farang running) Second time, with stick, less aggro. Third time: one dog came up and ended up letting me stroke him. Most rewarding. Don't get me wrong, I do get to shout on most runs, and it usually works. 

I'm going to take the same trail tomorrow, but will have a discrete whacking stick about my person, plus some dog biscuits.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:29 AM, cooked said:

Most of the people responding here seem to be talking about soi dogs, that is to say, they live in cities. Running around just about every possible and impossible trail around our village in Isaan, I only once got bitten, by a dog I thought I knew well enough to trust but had just had some whelps and so got very aggressive. Most dogs will bark and snarl before actually attacking, this one quietly ran up behind me and gave me a nip. I'm afraid that dog had disappeared the next day as I did complain.

I tend to plan my running routes in terms of 1: dogs? and 2: possibility of finding sticks lying around near them? 

I found a new route near me. First time: aggression from two farm dogs. I shouted, they removed themselves.(Never see Farang running) Second time, with stick, less aggro. Third time: one dog came up and ended up letting me stroke him. Most rewarding. Don't get me wrong, I do get to shout on most runs, and it usually works. 

I'm going to take the same trail tomorrow, but will have a discrete whacking stick about my person, plus some dog biscuits.

Pretty much always, if I am running and see any kind of dog I just stop running and walk until I am well past it.

Saves the situation getting worrying most of the time and, certainly, carrying an umbrella (great for sunshade too) or a stick have kept all aggressive soi dogs I have ever met (1000's) at bay. Never ever had one even as much as make contact with the umbrella I was holding between me and him. 

Not that most soi dogs cause serious damage but it's all those trips to the hospital for rabies jabs that is the real annoyance.

Always good to carry a few dog biscuits but not too many. I have had a few too many in my pockets on a couple of occasions and a most likely really hungry dog has actually smelt them and quickly become over curious. Keep them well wrapped maybe in a plastic bag if it's easy and fast to open.