Passport is renewed & questions about transfer.

Hello all,

I hope you are all staying fairly cool in this heat. 🙂

I just received my new USA Passport in the mail and will be going to the Govt. Complex Immigration @ CW next week to link the new with the old and was wondering if I should be expecting any surprises.

1. My marriage extension is not up until June 2024, so I understand nothing needs to be done with that. My wife doesn't need to go to link the 2 passports, does she?

2. I will print all of the pages from my old passport (color or black & white - does it matter?).

3. I don't see anything on the immigration website about having to make a 'queue online' appointment. I can just walk in, right?

4. Does anything need to be done about my TM.30? The house is in the wife's name & I have a 30-year lease if that matters. Does she need to make a new TM.30 with my new passport?

5. Am I forgetting anything?

I also printed out that 'Notification of cessation linkage letter' from the USA Embassy. I haven't had an entry/departure card for some time now, so I'm guessing nothing needs to be done there.

* A little off topic but....

My '90-Day Notification' (TM.47) was up on February 16, as I entered (with re-entry permit) on November 18, 2023. I sent that in by post at the end of January, but I have still not received it back. This is the first time I have not received it within a month (aside of The Great Flood & Protests), so I'm not exactly sure what to do. I still have my receipt of registered mail from the post office as well as a printout of proof that it was received at the Govt. Complex already. I called the immigration hotline 1178, and the girl basically said to just come in with my passport and they will take care of it. She wasn't sure if I would be 'fined' as she said it was up to the officer. Do I need to prepare anything else special for this?

Finally, I am hoping to take care of both my new/old passports as well as my 90-day issue on the same day. Should I do one before the other, or does it not matter?

Thank you all for your time and helpful information & take care.

I transferred my stamp to a new passport last August at CW, and was given a hard time by the female IO, you need to fill in the form (visa transfer) number 22 from here. https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=3202

copies of both passports i had all my pages copied  in the old passport that was enough to get a ticket to queue for the transfer,

When it was my turn the IO wanted in addition to the above last 90 day report, bank letter with statement dated that day copy of bank book, the TM30 showing my address, which i did not have so had to go downstairs to get it printed off. none of this should have been needed, expect the unexpected, hopefully yours will go smoother

To be safe i would take all of the above, but only show the completed form and passport copies to start, then if you get the wrong IO you will have the other docs

PS  i was going to do my 90 day report as well, but after 5 hours, was not going to wait any longer, i did wonder if you now have a new passport so new number would they want to see a new TM30 with the new passport number

Edited by howerde
missing text
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, howerde said:

When it was my turn the IO wanted in addition to the above last 90 day report, bank letter with statement dated that day copy of bank book, the TM30 showing my address, which i did not have so had to go downstairs to get it printed off. none of this should have been needed, expect the unexpected, hopefully yours will go smoother

It reminds me of Lily Tomlin on SNL as Ernestine the Telephone Operator. 
"We don't care.  We don't have to." 

That's about right.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

It reminds me of Lily Tomlin on SNL as Ernestine the Telephone Operator. 
"We don't care.  We don't have to." 

That's about right.

When I was a kid Ernestine was on Rowan & Martins Laugh-in

5 hours ago, howerde said:

I transferred my stamp to a new passport last August at CW, and was given a hard time by the female IO, you need to fill in the form (visa transfer) number 22 from here. https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=3202

copies of both passports i had all my pages copied  in the old passport that was enough to get a ticket to queue for the transfer,

To be safe i would take all of the above, but only show the completed form and passport copies to start, then if you get the wrong IO you will have the other docs

PS  i was going to do my 90 day report as well, but after 5 hours, was not going to wait any longer, i did wonder if you now have a new passport so new number would they want to see a new TM30 with the new passport number

Thanks for the information. It's very helpful. I should be able to get all of those documents prepared. Maybe it will be best to take care of my 90-day first and then the passports. The wife cannot go this trip, so hopefully no issues with the TM30. Thanks again.

got my new US passport in Nov
got my new extension via an agent 2 weeks ago at an up country immigration and at the same time had him do the stamp transfers, move my tm30 from where the extension was issued to Phuket AND the 90 day report ( i had missed the previous one )
well worth the 2,000 baht  extra fee 🙂 and didn't set foot in Immigration

Edited by zzzzz

What a load of fuss and bother some people have had.

I simply presented my new passport together with the old one to immigration at Buriram.

Insisted, twice, that it is a free service.

10 minutes later was presented my newly stamped (marriage extension) passport and went home.

It is a free service and no documents required

For THAISPACENEEDLE - I did a transfer of stamps from old to new in February - but it was in CM so not sure if the procedures will be exactly the same  There is also an immigration for for transfer of stamps from old to new passport - print that out too,.  In addition, my 90-day report was due on the date I went for the stamp transfer as I didn't get through the online for that purpose.  In CM anyway fist of all they sent me to the TM.30 office (5 minutes for a new TM.30 for the new passport) then to the walk-in 90-day window (2 minutes) with the 90-day report with the old passport information and they gave me a neww 90-day report that was later stapled into my new passport. THen they sent me to window 2 which is for stamp transfers - no chargesl on this visit which lasted about 70 minutes total.  I realize that not all Immigration offices always do the exact same procedures so if you prepare everything in advance, all they will do is trash what they don't want but it might save you some time if you do everything I had to do - I had prepared everything in advance with the tm47 form done twice, once with the new data and once with the old data (this is theone they used).  Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Agreed it's a free service, but when I transferred my stamps to a new passport (Hat Yai IO) I was required to complete Form 22 and supply the documents specified on the form, namely a photocopy of the photo page of old and new passports, plus my extension, original visa, and last arrival stamp. All easy enough and completed whilst I waited.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, ThaiSpaceNeedle said:

Hello all,

I hope you are all staying fairly cool in this heat. 🙂

I just received my new USA Passport in the mail and will be going to the Govt. Complex Immigration @ CW next week to link the new with the old and was wondering if I should be expecting any surprises.

1. My marriage extension is not up until June 2024, so I understand nothing needs to be done with that. My wife doesn't need to go to link the 2 passports, does she?

2. I will print all of the pages from my old passport (color or black & white - does it matter?).

3. I don't see anything on the immigration website about having to make a 'queue online' appointment. I can just walk in, right?

4. Does anything need to be done about my TM.30? The house is in the wife's name & I have a 30-year lease if that matters. Does she need to make a new TM.30 with my new passport?

5. Am I forgetting anything?

I also printed out that 'Notification of cessation linkage letter' from the USA Embassy. I haven't had an entry/departure card for some time now, so I'm guessing nothing needs to be done there.

* A little off topic but....

My '90-Day Notification' (TM.47) was up on February 16, as I entered (with re-entry permit) on November 18, 2023. I sent that in by post at the end of January, but I have still not received it back. This is the first time I have not received it within a month (aside of The Great Flood & Protests), so I'm not exactly sure what to do. I still have my receipt of registered mail from the post office as well as a printout of proof that it was received at the Govt. Complex already. I called the immigration hotline 1178, and the girl basically said to just come in with my passport and they will take care of it. She wasn't sure if I would be 'fined' as she said it was up to the officer. Do I need to prepare anything else special for this?

Finally, I am hoping to take care of both my new/old passports as well as my 90-day issue on the same day. Should I do one before the other, or does it not matter?

Thank you all for your time and helpful information & take care.

I did this a couple of months ago in phuket.. Handed over the two passports with copies of every page from both. Then it took the clerk 20 minutes to use 4 pages of my new passport to transfer all details.. Done.. And free.. I did not fill any forms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know if it's possible to bring the extension date forward by 3 months? Effectively reducing current extension by 3 months, but also making my annual extension date 3 months earlier going forward.

Unfortunately last year I switched passports and as I had a second passport, after my transfer was done because of the old passport expiry date being used for the last extension and the current extension date/month is now not so convenient for my overseas travel plans

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

When I got a new Passport (US) about 8 years ago, the passport number also changed. Does this still occur? If that's the case, then you will need to update all the places that are linked to the old number (bank accounts, maybe sim cards, etc.)

yes. US passport numbers always change .. So, yes, you’ll need to update all kinds of places that have or use it actually as a sort of data point or personal identifier.

Bank (for all accounts deposit as well as any credit accounts like credit cards), SSO, Revenue Office, Drivers License (Land Transport), National Credit Bureau (if you have a credit file), D-ticket (if you buy SRT tickets online), some loyalty programs (ie store frequent shopper programs) and any airlines your regularly fly and book with online. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

What a load of fuss and bother some people have had.

I simply presented my new passport together with the old one to immigration at Buriram.

Insisted, twice, that it is a free service.

10 minutes later was presented my newly stamped (marriage extension) passport and went home.

It's depending of the immigration office, they are not equal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

When I got a new Passport (US) about 8 years ago, the passport number also changed. Does this still occur? If that's the case, then you will need to update all the places that are linked to the old number (bank accounts, maybe sim cards, etc.)

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, the number changes.

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

For THAISPACENEEDLE - I did a transfer of stamps from old to new in February - but it was in CM so not sure if the procedures will be exactly the same  There is also an immigration for for transfer of stamps from old to new passport - print that out too,.  In addition, my 90-day report was due on the date I went for the stamp transfer as I didn't get through the online for that purpose.  In CM anyway fist of all they sent me to the TM.30 office (5 minutes for a new TM.30 for the new passport) then to the walk-in 90-day window (2 minutes) with the 90-day report with the old passport information and they gave me a neww 90-day report that was later stapled into my new passport. THen they sent me to window 2 which is for stamp transfers - no chargesl on this visit which lasted about 70 minutes total.  I realize that not all Immigration offices always do the exact same procedures so if you prepare everything in advance, all they will do is trash what they don't want but it might save you some time if you do everything I had to do - I had prepared everything in advance with the tm47 form done twice, once with the new data and once with the old data (this is theone they used).  Good luck

Thanks a lot for the information.

Depending on your LOCAL IO policy wants is your answer.

My actual stamps transfer from a EMERGENCY US PP to a new 10 year US PP took about 7 minutes.

TM-30, you left the country, SOME IO's require a new TM-30 even if returning to same address. Just a suggestion, have your wife sponsor a YELLOW House Book & PINK ID Card, for you - House Book does NOT replace a TM-30, but I have found it useful to prove address.

TM-47, DAY 1 is the date you enter Thsiland no matter the time - if stamp says 23:59, this is day 1

2 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to bring the extension date forward by 3 months? Effectively reducing current extension by 3 months, but also making my annual extension date 3 months earlier going forward.

Unfortunately last year I switched passports and as I had a second passport, after my transfer was done because of the old passport expiry date being used for the last extension and the current extension date/month is now not so convenient for my overseas travel plans

At your next extension you could apply for 250 days and not the 12 month 365 days

3 hours ago, paahlman said:

I did this a couple of months ago in phuket.. Handed over the two passports with copies of every page from both. Then it took the clerk 20 minutes to use 4 pages of my new passport to transfer all details.. Done.. And free.. I did not fill any forms.

mine, done last week , took ONLY 2  pages + 1/2 for new extension.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's depending of the immigration office, they are not equal.

That's for certain.

I think the young ladies in the back office in Buriram IO must have done the form filling bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, norbra said:

At your next extension you could apply for 250 days and not the 12 month 365 days

Thanks, unfortunately that would have been the thing to do last time, but maybe they'll let me renew early this time

Hopefully not off-topic — I heard the U.S. Embassy negotiated successfully with Immigration to no longer need any authentications for U.S. documents, either real authentications or the bogus ones you used to have to do by getting an affidavit at the Embassy promising your document is real.

13 hours ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Hopefully not off-topic — I heard the U.S. Embassy negotiated successfully with Immigration to no longer need any authentications for U.S. documents, either real authentications or the bogus ones you used to have to do by getting an affidavit at the Embassy promising your document is real.

they stopped issuing letters awhile back

4 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

they stopped issuing letters awhile back

Most countries put a stamp in the old passport that reads something along the lines of:-

"This passport has been succeeded by passport (number) and may be used when presented with succeeding passport for the sole purpose of presenting any visa that may continue to be valid"

• Like 1

I've transferred "stamps" from one passport to another many times and it is simple.

There is a form "Transfer Stamp to New Passport" you can download (https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/22.Transfer-Stamp-to-New-Passport-Form.pdf)

Fill that out, take it to Immigration with both passports. At Jomtien they told me to come back the next day, which I did and got my passports back with no problems at all.

Did NOT need any letter from the Embassy. Or a TM.30. Or anything else for that matter and if I recall, it was free as well.
(Can't remember if I needed photocopies of my old passport and stamps but it wouldn't hurt to have them just in case.)

NOTE: Different Immigration Offices may have different requirements. Be prepared to have to provide additional information/photocopies.

• Like 1

I sent for a new UK passport, (the old one expires on 24 June 2024) via Paul Aslett at Thai Visa Express on Monday 11 March.

I sent him all the documents by EMS and they were collected on Wednesday 13 March. My nice shiny dark blue British passport arrived by EMS on Saturday 30th March by EMS. A 19 day turn around.

I am high impressed with their service, which on my part involved a 6km trip to the village post office instead of a 350 km each way trip to Bangkok and an overnight stay, twice.

The total fee was 11,000 baht plus 42 baht for the EMS.

The service was superb and simple enough for an old dodderer like me to understand.

My old passport was valid until 24 June 2024 but the new one is valid from 20th March 2024, presumably to keep the EU happy.

Now all I have to do is get the stamps changed to the new passport at Immigration, and I suppose at the banks where I have accounts, perhaps at the Amphur for my pink Thai ID card, DTA for my driving licence, and I can't think of anywhere else.

I will get to Kamphaeng Phet Immigration next week before the Songkran holidays, the banks etc are not so important.

Once again, my thanks to Paul Aslett for a brilliant service. See you again in 10 years.