Drivers license for Thai to drive in Laos & car insurance

We're thinking of taking out car to Laos (Friendship Bridge-Nong Kai). We've researched what is needed, but a couple of things are still unclear. My Thai wife will drive. Does she need an international drivers license, or just her Thai license?  If our Thai insurance will not cover Laos, and I suspect it will not, what insurance do we need and where to get it?  Apparently there are some insurance shops just after the Thai check point, but some comments have been made that while OK for Laos immigration, it will not be of much use in the event of an accident. Any thoughts or suggestions on this. I would appreciate hearing from folks who have actually done this, please. Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly, the insurance sold at the border shops is for third party liability cover only and is required for the car to legally travel on Lao roads. It does not cover loss or damage to the vehicle or theft of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Thanks. As I suspected from other comments. Any idea how to get the additional coverage that is prudent ? I will have my Thai wife check with our insurance co.

2 hours ago, mhortig said:

My Thai wife will drive. Does she need an international drivers license, or just her Thai license? 

Thai driving license.

Regular 5 yr.

Temporary licenses not accepted by the rules.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mhortig said:

Thanks. As I suspected from other comments. Any idea how to get the additional coverage that is prudent ? I will have my Thai wife check with our insurance co.

Your best bet is to ask the Thai insurer currently covering the car here in Thailand. Auto insurance in Thailand is a commodity and it can be difficult to get an insurer to offer anything other than their standard product and extensions, so don't be surprised if they won't help. If they do agree to this, make sure the insurance company issues a formal endorsement to the policy before you go. 

There are specialty insurers that offer world-wide cover for autos, including physical damage, but I'm not sure they would be a good solution for a short-term trip to Laos from Thailand. Here's one intermediary that can arrange cover: https://www.clements.com/personal/international-car-insurance/worldwide/  But when I think of Clements and other specialty solutions, I think diplomats in their Mercs, Arabs taking their supercars from the Middle East to London, not so much the occasional jaunt into Laos.

Thailand and Laos have an agreement based on the “purple book” car passport I take it you already have that.

Thai driving licences are recognised in other ASEAN countries including Laos – you don’t need an IDP. Same applies to you if you have a full Thai 5 yr licence.

Insurance – the usual routine is to but your insurance for a short period from one of the shop/offices after you have cleared immigration customs etc. This is just the minimum cover to drive legally in Laos. (a few hundred baht)

They may agree to sell you more cover.

I used to go to Laos a lot so I bought 12 months extensive cover so as not to worry about it.

It is worth noting also that some Thai insurance companies will extend your cover to include Laos – my company did for a while and then withdrew the option.

So at least ask you Thai insurance if they will extend.

Remember that your wife will be driving on the 'wrong' side of the road (the evil French influence). Which has implications for safety.

Check with your insurance company on where to get Laos Car Insurance.  They can also tell you if it is better to have an international driver's license than for your wife to go only with her Thai DL.  (And it does not cost very much to get one.)  By the way, the Lao consulate in Khon Kaen can handle your Lao short term Visa.