Confused and ignorant about transferring money to a Thai bank from abroad

Title says it all.

I am planning to buy a condo, and send the cash from my bank in Canada.  About 2.2 million THB altogether.  

Now my bank offers free overseas transfers up to $50,000 CAD per day, so I would make two transfers. It takes about 2-3 days for the money to hit my bank account in Thailand (Bangkok Bank).  My question is whether this is the best way to transfer the money.  How do I get screwed using this method- bank fees for receiving the transfer? Poor exchange rate converting CAD to THB?  What will the catch be?   

I hear all over that using Wise is the way to go, but perhaps that is only for making monthly transfers of relatively low amounts. My case is just once and a relatively large amount.   So, advice and wisdom from those smarter than me would be appreciated!

23 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

How do I get screwed using this method- bank fees for receiving the transfer? Poor exchange rate converting CAD to THB?  What will the catch be?   

As above. Sent CAD in any case!
Conversion will be done at the receiving Thai bank (which one?).

The fee for that will be 500 Baht.

Exchange rates are not top end. Kasikorn e.g. shows 26.526 while currency market rate is 26.8883.

WISE: they offer special contact/advice for transferring high amounts.

Never tried so can't tell what it's worth.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wise is peer to peer money transfer, matching someone's need for Canadian Dollars with someone else's desire for Thai Baht, so they won't be able to supply CAD in a Thai bank. Swift transfer is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Exchange rates are not top end. Kasikorn e.g. shows 26.526 while currency market rate is 26.8883.

Plus an FET from WISE seems doubtfully

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Title says it all.

I am planning to buy a condo, and send the cash from my bank in Canada.  About 2.2 million THB altogether.  

Now my bank offers free overseas transfers up to $50,000 CAD per day, so I would make two transfers. It takes about 2-3 days for the money to hit my bank account in Thailand (Bangkok Bank).  My question is whether this is the best way to transfer the money.  How do I get screwed using this method- bank fees for receiving the transfer? Poor exchange rate converting CAD to THB?  What will the catch be?   

I hear all over that using Wise is the way to go, but perhaps that is only for making monthly transfers of relatively low amounts. My case is just once and a relatively large amount.   So, advice and wisdom from those smarter than me would be appreciated!

So far, you haven't found anyone smarter than you on here, mainly guessers as far as I can see. Talk to Wise, talk to the banks and check the regulations with the land office before you do anything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Hi fellow refugee from Canuckistan!

For me, the money will be sent from Royal Bank of Canada to Bangkok Bank, at least that is the plan. Send in CAD and let Bangkok Bank do the currency conversion.    RBC says an International Money Transfer is free, takes 2-3 days to appear in the receiving bank, and can be up to $50,000 per day. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, norbra said:

If you are a Thai tax resident you are looking at an extremely high tax bill , this depends on the origin of your fundsScreenshot_20240110_033842.thumb.jpg.15f615464226b8e2164f4080fde01102.jpg

Not necessarily, it depends on the source of the funds he intends to use, when they were earned and the wording of the CAN/THAI DTA. That said, the op does need to consider this point, given that the tax laws have changed this year. Perhaps reading the following guide will help him better understand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Ehh, that is about as reasonable as it gets.

• Agree 2

If it goes via Swift it lands at Telegraphic Transfer rate plus 500 Baht landing fee (for that size of transfer)

TT rate will be somewhat less than Wise's full interbank rate but then you have sending fees and has been mentioned will Wise provide the appropriate documentation for the Condo

Rare occasion where I'd suggest Swift would be better than Wise

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Title says it all.

Seems pretty straight forward send in Canadian dollars,  Max I have been charged by Thai banks was 500b. It may also help to put message to bank 'do not exchange funds' as rarely but can happen it gets sent to a Holding bank here that exchanges it at their rate then forwards it to your bank, it has happened twice to me. Just saying.

2 hours ago, norbra said:

If you are a Thai tax resident you are looking at an extremely high tax bill , this depends on the origin of your fundsScreenshot_20240110_033842.thumb.jpg.15f615464226b8e2164f4080fde01102.jpg

The above post assumes:

1/ The OP is a tax resident of Thailand.

2/ The funds are income, and not savings accumulated prior to January 1, 2024.

I have found transferring up to 40,000 AUD via SWIFT transfer gave me the sacred FET notation.

My bank in Australia charged me $30. Bangkok Bank exchanged the funds at 0.5 baht under the cross-rate.

I do all my transactions with WISE now, as I get charged a flat fee, and exchange for baht at the prevailing cross-rate. The OP should check if WISE transfers get a FET notation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Title says it all.

I do SWIFT transfers from my EU bank to my Bangkok Bank account. On the form I tick "I pay only my own bank fees". I also tick "send notice to receiver bank", whatever that means. 

Very important: I choose to send Euros, not Baht.

Thai banks are very fair compared to banks eg in Africa or South America. Good exchange rate, hardly any bank fees.

The first time I sent money to Thailand I transferred a low amount to test in case there was a screw-up somewhere.

Edited by JackGats
Vocab

49 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I did notice that he wasn't a tax resident, that was why I gave him a copy of the Thai tax guide, that I wrote so that he could assess his potential tax situation, if he happened to become tax resident.

That's a good one, of course you noticed😉

And for the first time this year, a poster makes my ignore list, well done that man.

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Hi fellow refugee from Canuckistan!

For me, the money will be sent from Royal Bank of Canada to Bangkok Bank, at least that is the plan. Send in CAD and let Bangkok Bank do the currency conversion.    RBC says an International Money Transfer is free, takes 2-3 days to appear in the receiving bank, and can be up to $50,000 per day. 

FYI, I'm a retired Canuck here, I'm a non resident and have a non res account with CIBC.A few years ago they began offering (so called) free overseas money transfers.I began having my pensions sent to my Kbank account for a couple years.The amount that actually arrived here was about 60-70 Cdn $ less than sent.CIBC gave me a <deleted>ty ex rate. (hidden fee) I then found Wise. Now the upfront fees are about 20$ using them.   

Follow "Lacessit"  suggestion and enquire around. See if Wise can provide the FET paper. Do your homework as it will pay off.

Watch out for RBC. It might sound like it's free, but it's not! Here's their strategy, which will only be revealed to you as you start processing the transaction:

• they convert your funds from CAD to USD at a horrible rate 
  • they transfer USD to your Thai bank, where you may or may not be subject to a bad/decent/fair rate

That first step means that you effectively lose 2.5% (or more), so there are a bunch of better ways than RBC.

Not as popular here as some methods, but I use XE.com, which gives a very fair conversion directly to THB and charges no additional fees. They link directly to your bank account if you set it up that way. They're a little slower than some other methods (usually a week from start to finish).

I cannot speak to the implications of the money arriving to your bank in THB, which is how XE delivers.

Ultimately, my advice is just to avoid RBC. They suck.

• Like 1

Does Canada have a double tax treaty with Thailand?

The Thai government has signed double tax agreements with many countries worldwide, including the United States, Canada, France, the United Kingdom, Singapore, etc.Jan 30, 2566 BE

https://www.belaws.com › thailand

Double Tax Agreements in Thailand, What you need to know. - Belaws

If you stay in Thailand an aggregate of 180 days you will be considered a Thailand resident and possibly subject to income tax on currency transfers to Thailand. So check your tax status. There are other exceptions than described in a tax treaty. 

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Does Canada have a double tax treaty with Thailand?

The Thai government has signed double tax agreements with many countries worldwide, including the United States, Canada, France, the United Kingdom, Singapore, etc.Jan 30, 2566 BE

https://www.belaws.com › thailand

Double Tax Agreements in Thailand, What you need to know. - Belaws

If you stay in Thailand an aggregate of 180 days you will be considered a Thailand resident and possibly subject to income tax on currency transfers to Thailand. So check your tax status. There are other exceptions than described in a tax treaty. 

And still not clear is whether the Australian Old Age Pension, transferred to Thailand, is exempt from Thai personal taxation, especially where the recipient has no other income.