Internal strife and political interference hinder Thai police reform

webfact

image.jpeg

The Royal Thai Police (RTP) are in the throes of internal conflict and political interference, making police reform a distant goal, say observers. A recent high-profile disagreement between National Police Chief, Police General Torsak Sukvimol, and his deputy, Police General Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn, has fuelled this perception.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, who presides over the Police Commission, allocated the two warring police generals to the Prime Minister’s Office, in an attempt to quell the scandal. Additionally, a committee has been established to probe the discord within the RTP.

The rivalry between Pol. Gen. Torsak and Pol. Gen. Surachate is public knowledge, with both having competed fiercely for the national police chief’s role last September. Accusations surfaced just two days before the Police Commission’s meeting to appoint the police chief last year, suggesting that Big Joke might have links with online gambling website BNK Master, and potential money laundering.

Big Joke denied these allegations, terming them as foul play. While he was occupied clearing his name, Pol. Gen. Torsak, due to retire this September, won approval as RTP chief.

Following Pol. Gen. Torsak’s appointment, the conflict appeared to have subsided. However, the respite was short-lived. Lawyers representing Big Joke recently accused about 30 police officers of accepting bribes from BNK Master, sparking a fresh round of conflict.

Pol. Lt. Col. Krisanaphong Poothakool, vice president at Rangsit University, believes the internal strife within the RTP is undermining public trust. He suggests that the conflict could be connected to the transfer and promotions involving the subordinates of the two feuding police generals.

National Police Act

In his opinion, the National Police Act, which stipulates that a prime minister serves as chairman of the Police Commission, allows for political interference in the police force. He advocates for police reform through decentralisation, suggesting the delegation of authority to regional units.

Former attorney-general Khanit Na Nakhon feels that police reform is stagnant, despite being a longstanding issue. He points out the failure of the police reform plans initiated by the now-defunct National Council for Peace and Order after the 2014 coup, and the current government’s seeming lack of commitment to reform.

Khanit suggests that the susceptibility of the police force to political interference hinders problem-solving. He argues that politicians are more interested in power and meddling with the force than in addressing the root issues.

Pol. Col. Wirut Sirisawasbutr, secretary-general of the Institute for Justice Reform, criticises the transfer of the national police chief and his deputy to inactive posts as a wrong move. He believes that law enforcement, not internal conflict, should be the focus.

Angkhana Neelapaijit, a former member of the National Human Rights Commission, underscores the failure of recent promises of police reform by politicians. She argues that the public does not benefit from the recriminations between conflicting parties and urges officers to dedicate their time to protecting people instead, reported Bangkok Post.

by Mitch Connor

Top Picture of Police General Torsak Sukvimol (left) and his deputy, Police General Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn courtesy of Bangkok Post

Source The Thaiger 2024-04-02

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Thumbs Up 1

Corrupt politicians

Corrupt police

Corrupt administration

Corrupt judges

Where do we start to make it better?

Is it possible to make a 99% corrupt institution honest? I don't think so. So, let's make a new one. And who should build the new honest version? And who will check if they are honest? And who will put the corrupt in jail? 

I think the best we can hope for in the moment is that more and more corrupt people will be exposed. That is at least one good thing about everybody having a smartphone and social media.

And it's time to scrap that stupid defamation law which doesn't allow people to tell the truth.

Will anything important change in the next decades? I hope so, but I don't think it will happen. Too many rich and influential people want to keep it just the way it is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Corrupt politicians

Corrupt police

Corrupt administration

Corrupt judges

Where do we start to make it better?

Is it possible to make a 99% corrupt institution honest? I don't think so. So, let's make a new one. And who should build the new honest version? And who will check if they are honest? And who will put the corrupt in jail? 

I think the best we can hope for in the moment is that more and more corrupt people will be exposed. That is at least one good thing about everybody having a smartphone and social media.

And it's time to scrap that stupid defamation law which doesn't allow people to tell the truth.

Will anything important change in the next decades? I hope so, but I don't think it will happen. Too many rich and influential people want to keep it just the way it is.

Virtually all institutions are corrupt in one way or another, direct bribes, skimming, extortion or in the case of the RTP handling billions of bahts worth of drugs, do you really think they destroy all that is confiscated?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, who presides over the Police Commission, allocated the two warring police generals to the Prime Minister’s Office, in an attempt to quell the scandal.

It's like being given a box of apples for Christmas, only to open them and find they're all rotten.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the best we can hope for in the moment is that more and more corrupt people will be exposed.

I'm more inclined to hope that the corruption remains relatively benign toward foreigners. 

For every corrupt official that's rooted out, there's probably 3 or 4 wannabes lurking in the wings that may be less friendly toward us, and casting greedier eyes at what we collectively own and earn.

Internal strife and political interference hinder Thai police reform…….

….So not rampant corruption, nepotism, extortion, kidnapping and blackmail……mmmmm?

Edited by Will B Good

Polce reform is two words, uttered every-time some Policeofficers get it wrong. There are TWO major problems with this.

those that used internal corruption to get where they are want to see a return o their efforts and actions thereby hindering any real internal reform and the the other point is the PUBLIC.

The Police need the public to Police effectively sadly virtually ALL trust is gone, Police not taking action as there is nothing in it for them ( quite from a recently retired RTP friend of mine ) plus the vast web of enterprises the Police are involved in officially or unofficially which `show that  they are corrupt. 

If you sort out the first then the second will follow. 

Edited by Nicholas Paul KNIGHT
spelling