I'm finally quiting baked beans, price is ridiculous

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Dozens of recipes on the interweb for making your own baked beans from scratch, starting with dried beans that are cheap as can be at the local markets. 

In years past when we've made them ourselves they're 10x as good as canned anyway.  You actually have discernable bits of meat and onion instead of a hint that maybe there's meat flavoring.

yeah they told me the same thing about dill pickles.

I'm too lazy but I want beans, can we buy them from you? Discernible ingredients are best.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, fondue zoo said:

I'm too lazy but I want beans, can we buy them from you? Discernible ingredients are best.

Half the guys on here would probably rat me out for WP violations, so...  No.

Dill pickles in Thailand are easy to find.  It's sweet pickles and bread and butter that I make myself.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Half the guys on here would probably rat me out for WP violations, so...  No.

aww man, I remember when you used to be cool.

But you're right, I was already composing my email to the Thai labor commission.  🙏

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

First i quit cheese then butter because price silly, but that's ok as they make you fat. Now bakes bean Ayam brand jumped to 169 for three from 135 at Macro, just not worth it anymore. As a comparison in Tesco UK a large tin is 45p

B49 per can at Tops.   

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sadly, I remember when TVF was full of helpful posters suggesting ways around visa restrictions.  Cheapest border runs, most helpful schools for an ED, easiest border to cross... 

Nowadays, AN seems full of guys who would gladly help Immigration round them up.

Back on topic...  Home made baked beans:

beans.jpg.82c4652f9ddf87f893f51062056cbfc0.jpg

Or you can pay more for the slop from a can.

I may just have a go at making myself, yours look good

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sadly, I remember when TVF was full of helpful posters suggesting ways around visa restrictions.  Cheapest border runs, most helpful schools for an ED, easiest border to cross... 

Nowadays, AN seems full of guys who would gladly help Immigration round them up.

Damn they are nice lookin beans.  Top marks! 

34 minutes ago, transam said:

Ayam, British recipe baked beans, which have the smaller navy beans, similar to Heinz, are 49 bht, sometimes 45 bht at Tesco....... 🤗

IMHO those are the best and best value.

I made my own once, not difficult and delicious, no sugar in mine too.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

The Cheap Charlie exit is right around the corner.

I'm guessing it's a setup for a GoFundMe.

"I'm a pensioner who can't afford the musical fruit, please give what you can."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

First i quit cheese then butter because price silly, but that's ok as they make you fat. Now bakes bean Ayam brand jumped to 169 for three from 135 at Macro, just not worth it anymore. As a comparison in Tesco UK a large tin is 45p

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-27-55-322_com.makromangoapp.production.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-28-16-051_com.android.chrome.jpg

Shirley, you can find a lovely, young local lass willing to learn the exquisite art of baking beans.  Teach her how, and she can sell via Facebook to all the old foreign farts on AN.

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

How about storage? freeze?

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

How about storage? freeze?

Have to admit that is a stock photo from the interweb.  But it does look a lot like the batches I've made in years past.

The downside to making a big batch of beans from scratch is storage.  If you can't hermetically seal them (like in a can or a Mason jar), you have to eat them all within a week or so, share them with the neighbors, or freeze them.  I used Tupperwear to freeze mine and they stored quite well.  But the freezers back home were generally a lot bigger than the freezers in Thailand, and they do take a lot of space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-27-55-322_com.makromangoapp.production.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-28-16-051_com.android.chrome.jpg

This is too silly to be anything but a windup, so thank you for the mirth.

• Like 1