Stale beer

Just now, G Rex said:

My favourite drop changed fairly frequently , but I always seemed to return to good old Carlton Draught - from the tinnies, not the stubbies.  Carlton Cold was okay...  I don't know much about WA beers - other than Swan Dry (that was very popular about 40 years ago!! after we won the Americas' Cup).

OK I'll give that a go.  I've tried many Tooheys of various types and Castlemaine XXXX but keen to try others. 

I must admit VB was a bit difficult to swallow but some people swear by it. 

Cheers for the heads up. 

I think there is so much chemical preservatives and formaldehyde in beer made in Thailand that, not only does it stay fresh a lot longer, but most people who drink it regularly don't need to be embalmed when they pass.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

OK I'll give that a go.  I've tried many Tooheys of various types and Castlemaine XXXX but keen to try others. 

Cheers for the heads up. 

Yes - most of the NSW beer is rubbish (spoken like a true Victorian).  XXXX is guaranteed to give you a headache, or maybe permanent brain damage...

VB is an acquired taste.   But - never acquired by me..    Some swear by it, others swear at it

21 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

I think there is so much chemical preservatives and formaldehyde in beer made in Thailand that, not only does it stay fresh a lot longer, but most people who drink it regularly don't need to be embalmed when they pass.

yes - changing the subject a bit - but I have some bread in the fridge I bought 5 weeks ago - still soft enough to eat

must be a Thai thing!

• Haha 1

Thai beer is only rivaled by Serbian beer, and the mass produced American beers, in terms of the very low quality. Poor grade of hops, barely, and the production process seems to be entirely lacking in pride. Typical of the big monopolies. Even a large production beer, like Beer Laos blows away any Thai beer, hands down. Thailand desperately needs a vital craft beer movement, and the youth are ready to mount it. If only the dinosaurs would stop protecting their "bankers" and move out of the way. In other words, allow some progress, you mindless simpletons! 

Boon Rawd Brewery, which makes Singha, and ThaiBev, which brews Chang, the country’s best-selling beer, are owned and run by two of the wealthiest families in Thailand. Through longevity and political influence, these two breweries have dominated Thai beer for nearly a century, forcing out or crushing any competition, foreign or domestic. And we all know how they easily accomplish this. 

Thaopipob Linjittkorn, or Thao as he is more popularly known, a lawyer and homebrewer, was very publicly arrested in 2017 for making beer. He used that publicity to win an election to Parliament in 2019, along with 80 other members of the Future Forward Party. This progressive, pro-democracy party included in its platform a detailed plan to deregulate the beer industry, as well as a proposal for the legalization of marijuana, citing both as ways of putting money into the pockets of small businesses and local farmers. 

The opposition that Future Forward was up against is a military-backed, hardline government that supports the duopoly with strict regulations that allow it to control over 99% of Thailand’s estimated 180 billion baht ($5.8 billion) beer industry. The duopoly was originally made untouchable with the first Thai Liquor Control Act in 1950, a law which has been amended several times since to push legality even further out of reach of any small brewer. Prayuth's administration did much to reinforce the isolationist and nationalistic policies that Phibul established in the 1940s and ’50s, and called again and again for citizens to display a certain level of “Thainess,” which the PM defined in part as unquestioning loyalty to the government. Do not be disobedient! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, G Rex said:

yes - changing the subject a bit - but I have some bread in the fridge I bought 5 weeks ago - still soft enough to eat

must be a Thai thing!

A bit like McDonald's burger buns huh? 

Preservatives to keep the old folks alive.. Or preserved 

5 hours ago, transam said:

So, nobody drinks beer for the taste, oh dear, spoken like a true piss head.....🤨

So why isn't there just one beer, to save a lot of hassle....?

Why in the UK do they have a vast range of beer pumps along the bar.....?

Don't answer that, you think they are all the same, but some get you pissed quicker than others.

You can't make this sh_t up..........:sad:

I misread him to say that nobody drinks Thai beer for the taste. I agree 100% about the main local beers. All drinkable none memorable.

15 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Cheers for the heads up. 

Some of the new craft beers are terrible.

"Citrus ale with a hint of lavender".

That sort of stuff.

2 minutes ago, sipi said:

Some of the new craft beers are terrible.

"Citrus ale with a hint of lavender".

That sort of stuff.

Agreed.  Lavender in beer? For goodness sakes what is this world coming to? 

I've had some with lime and that was OK, Monteiths Radler in NZ is a very nice summer drop. 

I suppose a bit like Corona with that lemon wedge shoved into it.  That does some people's heads in. 

Again personal tastes vary. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Agreed.  Lavender in beer? For goodness sakes what is this world coming to? 

I've had some with lime and that was OK, Monteiths Radler in NZ is a very nice summer drop. 

I suppose a bit like Corona with that lemon wedge shoved into it.  That does some people's heads in. 

Again personal tastes vary. 

The best beers I like in Australia (and I live there 9 months a year) is English ales. In my humble opinion, Ozzy lager is way overrated.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Cheers for the heads up. 

Funny story about VB, which I never touched, 'orrible stuff.  A friend bought 6 cartons of VB cans in Cairns to take on a boat trip.  The stuff was well and truly off, tainted, obviously stored in a hot warehouse.  Arriving back in Cairns he was unable to return for refund and rather than dump it he gave away, one case at a time, to Aborigine vagrants living in the waterfront parkland.  He had to literally drop it at their feet and run as others would come chase him, expecting more.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, McTavish said:

Funny story about VB, which I never touched, 'orrible stuff.  A friend bought 6 cartons of VB cans in Cairns to take on a boat trip.  The stuff was well and truly off, tainted, obviously stored in a hot warehouse.  Arriving back in Cairns he was unable to return for refund and rather than dump it he gave away, one case at a time, to Aborigine vagrants living in the waterfront parkland.  He had to literally drop it at their feet and run as others would come chase him, expecting more.

I remember years back that it was an offence to give grog to the Aborigine peoples .  I think that it was mainly confined to their reservations tho. 

Good story! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Where do they sell Red Horse, like to give it a try. I normally drink Tapper which is ok, but only just ok. 

Found a craft beer shop near where I live and called in yesterday, they had many continental beers on draft and many bottles and cans of other superb beer, I settled on a bottle of Weihenstephaner Vitus at 7°, quality doesn't come cheap but at 250 Baht it was worth every penny.

Up here in Maechan there is an off licence that sells several beers , some from japan and some from Lao. I buy their Beerlao , not cheap maybe at 70 B for a small botle but so much better than Chang at 50 for a large one. None left in the fridge , must call in for a brew for tonight as the sun sets behind the smog.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Up here in Maechan there is an off licence that sells several beers , some from japan and some from Lao. I buy their Beerlao , not cheap maybe at 70 B for a small botle but so much better than Chang at 50 for a large one. None left in the fridge , must call in for a brew for tonight as the sun sets behind the smog.

There use to be a place near Kalasan Night market that had a great selection of beer and spirits. 

Probably a bit North of the market but on the same side of Changklan road. 

Was my go to place for good dark Rum. 

I entered HKT on one of the first days of Phuket Sandbox July 2021. Witnessing  the economic devastation

was walking up Bangla road saw some bargirls washing dirt and  dust off the beer bottles. Probably 18 month old stock at that point!

A couple bars opened for first two or three nights. Then the fuzz shut them down. Enjoyed doing nothing for two weeks actually.

5 hours ago, McTavish said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

1923?  Most unlikely considering it didn't exist until 1995.

Look up the meaning of sarcasm.

No need, I know what it means and you comment had no hint of sarcasm, whatsoever, only a bizarrely wrong claim about old beer. 

Maybe you should research how to phrase your comments  that you wish to be taken sarcastically.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, transam said:

I buy Archa by the case, just checked it, 10/24........:drunk:

I used to buy it in my local Makro (only place locally I could find) until I got a really bad bottle (other 11 were OK), checked the date on the box it came from 7 months from production date, 2 boxes lasts me about a week so not kept, checked the stack in Makro when time too replace my stock, not one box was marked less than 10 months old.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I used to buy it in my local Makro (only place locally I could find) until I got a really bad bottle (other 11 were OK), checked the date on the box it came from 7 months from production date, 2 boxes lasts me about a week so not kept, checked the stack in Makro when time too replace my stock, not one box was marked less than 10 months old.

I am lucky, have 2 beer and water agents nearby, big turnover, so I have no need to worry, plus the cases are always like brand new..🤗

The supermarkets like Big C and Lotus's are the worse. They do not rotate their beer stocks. Its quite common to see a large stock of beer ie Leo with the new cases on top whilst underneath there are cases months old. 

22 hours ago, transam said:

I buy Archa by the case, just checked it, 10/24........:drunk:

Horrible beer. How is it possible to have a fill date of 10/24?

15 minutes ago, jimn said:

Horrible beer. How is it possible to have a fill date of 10/24?

Best before date, plus, I may find your beer horrible...........😉

10 minutes ago, jimn said:

The supermarkets like Big C and Lotus's are the worse. They do not rotate their beer stocks. Its quite common to see a large stock of beer ie Leo with the new cases on top whilst underneath there are cases months old. 

Seen the same rotation method in bars and when you point to there ignorance they look at you like you are mad.

I had a bad experiance in a bar one time when buying a large bottle of chang . The taste was terrible and voiced my objection to the bar staff and i was informed that we dont drink beer so we would not know if it was good or bad .

They also have bad planning when to get a fresh load of beer into the fridge to maintain a supply of cold beer. I am often served hot beer and need a large amount of ice to be made drinkable which results in watered down beer. 

I drink at home more often now.

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Best before date, plus, I may find your beer horrible...........😉

Must be the only beer with a best before date over here then. Most have fill dates.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, itsari said:

Seen the same rotation method in bars and when you point to there ignorance they look at you like you are mad.

I had a bad experiance in a bar one time when buying a large bottle of chang . The taste was terrible and voiced my objection to the bar staff and i was informed that we dont drink beer so we would not know if it was good or bad .

They also have bad planning when to get a fresh load of beer into the fridge to maintain a supply of cold beer. I am often served hot beer and need a large amount of ice to be made drinkable which results in watered down beer. 

I drink at home more often now.

Yes exactly. When they restocking the fridges they don't move the bottles from the back to the front. The other thing some bars do is turn the fridges off overnight and then on when they open. The fridge then has to work extra hard to chill the beer and use more electricity. At home my beer always goes from the fridge to the freezer for 30 minutes before I drink it, I like it ice cold. I also drink from a Yeti stainless steel tumbler which keeps the beer ice cold in these hot temperatures.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, sipi said:

The best beers I like in Australia (and I live there 9 months a year) is English ales. In my humble opinion, Ozzy lager is way overrated.

Ozzy lager when i was there were very average

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1