Banking rules face scan for transactions over 50k THB

Transferred money from home to Thailand today and wanted to transfer between Thai banks, wouldn't let me...then I remembered the 50k face scan limit thing. I went to the bank and big fluff around. Like they didn't know the 50k thing existed. Anyway, last I heard farang couldn't do the face scan thing and were limited to in bank transfers over 50k, then a few people on AN started saying they had done it successfully. Obviously usual no information or training coming to staff I suspect. Anyway, after a lot of mucking around lady said I could do it and took a scan of my face....said it wont be operational for me until tomorrow afternoon. I must say I am not confident though.

What is the current status of this? Have people successfully done the scan thing and can now transfer higher amounts?

How does it work? Is there something in your bank app opens the phone camera to do a facial scan when transferring or something?

Any advice appreciated

I enabled mine at the main branch of Bangkok Bank in a provincial capital. With my passport and their app already installed on my phone, it took about ten minutes. It works.

I have read, and my friend confirmed, that SCB says that it doesn't apply to non-Thai account holders, only Thai account holders.

Your experience may vary from bank to bank and from branch to branch of the same bank.

36 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have read, and my friend confirmed, that SCB says that it doesn't apply to non-Thai account holders, only Thai account holders.

Yes, SCB doesn't.

Took three visits to finally get the correct message and instead a somewhat complicated procedure on the phone to Bangkok hotline to get a waiver (assisted at the branch, they don't even have it completely in English).

I can now set transfer limits in the app as desired.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Is there something in your bank app opens the phone camera to do a facial scan when transferring or something?

Yes. A egg head frame appears where center your head to and then do some grimace/eye blink.

(not even sure about the grimace from last occurrence)

Did a transaction over 50k last month with Krungsri. Never signed up for face scan and didn't speak to any branch in a long time. Worked just fine. I used to have a 50k limit on the account which is the default. Just had to get that increased but did that a long time ago.

Edited by eisfeld

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, SCB doesn't.

Took three visits to finally get the correct message and instead a somewhat complicated procedure on the phone to Bangkok hotline to get a waiver (assisted at the branch, they don't even have it completely in English).

I can now set transfer limits in the app as desired.

That 'head office hotline' waiver option was similar to what my friend experienced after several false starts and misinformation at his local SCB when it was first announced that this would apply to 'all banks'.

At the moment can't even tell what the situation with Kasikorn is.
I don't move higher amounts there.
I was never pointed to facial.

Just that I was photographed on some visit in 2023.

Heres my experience with this...   NDID (National Digital ID) - its a government requirement. 

SCB - Foreigners cannot register with NDID - but can sign a waver that they are not held accountable for any fraudulent activity on their account (or something to that effect) - then transactions to your normal limits are permitted. 

Kasikorn - Foreigners cannot register with NDID (I'm not sure if a disclamer can be signed).

Bangkok Bank - Foreigners can register with NDID - I have uses this successfully to transfer more than 50k baht. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Any banks nowadays do egg scans, this is to avoid people using other people (mules) their bank accounts I guess. I never had to do this with my Kasikorn or Bangkok bank account personally though, but it is a monthly thing on International business.

More and more rules will come to this world soon, same to have to apply for European visa's soon similar to Malaysia, with a pre-check, Europeans need to do that too when visiting USA. Eventually all will be iris scans most likely. 

I you have an existing passport with stamps you might wanna keep it, as it will be less and less too in next years. I think by 2030 it's global.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

At the moment can't even tell what the situation with Kasikorn is.

I transferred over 50k with Kasikorn a few weeks back, no problem.  She also took a photo of me the last time I was in the bank but for what purpose I have no idea, I guess she's not made of wood after all.....

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Bangkok Bank - Foreigners can register with NDID - I have uses this successfully to transfer more than 50k baht.

Not according to the Bangkok Bank website 

• For Thai nationals only

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/NDID

National Digital Identity (NDID) Platform
The National Digital Identity Platform (NDID) is intended to provide a
flexible and highly secured method of self-identification for any Thai citizen. The platform
must be able to leverage any reliable identity the user currently holds. Examples of reliable
identity could be, for example, Citizen Id, Bank Accounts, Passport Number, Tax ID,
Biometric Data.

https://www.oecd.org/tax/forum-on-tax-administration/publications-and-products/Thailand-National-Digital-Identity-Platform.pdf

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. The biggest hold up today was when I showed her my passport for ID, she went oh, new passport? Which is true, started my Bkk bank about 10 years ago or so, and new passport about 3 years ago. I never changed it with them. OMG I think I signed 15 sheets of paper to change it to new. They said I need to wait 24 hours before the facial ID thing kicks in, will try it tomorrow arv

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Transferred money from home to Thailand today and wanted to transfer between Thai banks, wouldn't let me...then I remembered the 50k face scan limit thing. I went to the bank and big fluff around. Like they didn't know the 50k thing existed. Anyway, last I heard farang couldn't do the face scan thing and were limited to in bank transfers over 50k, then a few people on AN started saying they had done it successfully. Obviously usual no information or training coming to staff I suspect. Anyway, after a lot of mucking around lady said I could do it and took a scan of my face....said it wont be operational for me until tomorrow afternoon. I must say I am not confident though.

What is the current status of this? Have people successfully done the scan thing and can now transfer higher amounts?

How does it work? Is there something in your bank app opens the phone camera to do a facial scan when transferring or something?

Any advice appreciated

It drives me mental when Thais can’t bring themselves to care at all about what you asking and just say “no have.” 

Their mother could be on fire in the parking lot and you could ask for a bucket of water to put them out and you’d still get an “arai wa?” From them. Which if you say, by the way, is extremely offensive, but a Thai customer service representative can say it straight to your face and you’re supposed to pretend like it’s not rude. 

It’s helped me to not care at all about them, the apathy works both ways. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Follow up story.....went in Tuesday afternoon, lot of rigmarole....signed 20 documents, updated passport details, did face scan....lady tells me tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon can transfer more than 50k on the phone app

Wednesday comes and goes....still cant transfer, message on app telling me I need take ID to the branch....Today still not working.....call the bank after lunch....they were choosing to just hang up on people rather than answer calls, poor dears obviously very busy. Persisted and finally got through. Try this, try that. Turn your phone on and off, restart the app etc. Aka fobbing. I am still getting messages I need to bring ID etc to the bank. After playing the game for 20 minutes I said how about this? It is clearly not updated yet...how about you call head office and check W T F is going on.....She actually did call back and went through the same try this try that game. No good. Her call got cut off (or she hung up) right on 4pm, closing time.

I normally prefer to do banking online, via website. But I am sure I saw on their site many months ago that online banking would no longer be available as it was too prone to scammers etc....but I could be getting confused with SCB. My thoughts on companies closing their websites and pushing you to phone apps is so they can bombard you with free advertising everyday.....but just my opinion.

So I go on their website and still available. Logged onto my account and immediately transferred my money. Strangely the limits set for transfers on the website (which should cover all my banking transfers ATM, daily transfers, other banks accounts etc), were different to limits I see on my phone app? Go figure unless their online system is separate to their phone banking system of which there is every chance in Thailand. The hub of everything except systems information in large companies, hospitals, govt departments or banks.

I wouldn't be surprised if I could have done the transfer on the website all along without any need for face scans etc. Like it is still operating because someone forgot to switch it off. I mean how could my transfer limits....all of them.... for phone transfers, daily atm transfers, transfers to other people, prompt pay etc be different to what is shown on my phone app?

• Like 1

Because Wise will transfer >50k to Kasikorn I often find myself making transfers greater than 50k from Kasikorn. So far I've not had a problem. When I updated my passport details end last year I asked if I needed to do a facial scan and was told that was for Thais only ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

I think someone mentioned K bank don't need to do the facial scan thing at all to do app transfers? or maybe not. SCB apparently wont do the face scanning thing at all for foreigners, only way you can app transfer over 50k is in bank or sign a responsibility waiver. As usual all over the shop and that's even if you can get a staff person who knows the basics of not only this but everyday banking. I was told so much cr@p yesterday even I know wasn't true and I don't work in the bank

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm lying then ?????

Is Bangkok bank lying on its own website then ?????

Nan Leaw is lying then ????

Everyman is lying then ????

Doesn't matter what links you drag up from the internet

it doesn't beat first hand experience

TIT you can bend and break rules with sufficient pieces of pretty pieces of paper.

Does the fact that you were able to do something that is against the rules specifically posted by Bangkok bank make the rules invalid or that they are lying on the website?

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

TIT you can bend and break rules with sufficient pieces of pretty pieces of paper.

Does the fact that you were able to do something that is against the rules specifically posted by Bangkok bank make the rules invalid or that they are lying on the website?

Nobody has to be lying, the website could just be wrong. 

Or maybe Bangkok Bank initially included foreigners in it, but it turned out that it wasn’t required by the NDID or the NDID rules changed or it was too much of a hassle. 

I did mine a year ago as soon as I found out about it. Maybe NanLaew did his Nan te Laew like I did (sorry, couldn’t resist, heheh)

The Bangkok Bank WebPage is clearly wrong....  NDID can be set up to work for foreigners - enough of us have already done so.

Rules ???...  its something written on a website which is most likely a mistake... (clearly it is a mistake)...

Look at most official websites in Thailand and they are riddled with error - Look at the MFA websites and pretty much all Thai Embassy Websites and you will see those riddled with errors....   In these fora people such as yourself may cling on to such errors as fact as you seem to believe anything in print to be fact, regulation, law or rules.... 

.....   they are not, these are just something some member of staff has written on a website usually without oversight, without proof reading, without being double checked... 

..... this is why there is often so much conflict (on this forum) between what can be done and those stating what can't because they read it on a web-page that contains errors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No point bickering about any of this stuff about rules or what is written for any Thai bank, government office, immigration etc. What is written and what actually happens / their knowledge of their own rules at your particular branch are usually 2 different things. Little fiefdoms. These places just don't seem to have any single information center....usually comes down to what the staff are telling you correct or not. Strange because Thailand seems to be the HUB of everything else? Apparently these head offices have no information HUB.

No point saying people are lying or starting these long drawn out smarty pants competitions as everyone has different experiences. Often ruins the many good informative replies that get lost in the noise

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Bangkok Bank WebPage is clearly wrong....  NDID can be set up to work for foreigners - enough of us have already done so.

Those who have done so have self evidently done so against the regulations for the NDID system 

It is likely that those who did so slipped through the cracks

The Bangkok Bank web page is not wrong and is mirroring the NDID information, from the faq page of the NDID site

What qualifications must I have to use the NDID service?

Must be of Thai nationality

IMG_8874.thumb.jpeg.ee6dc540a581d718f1963d22b59dac8d.jpeg

https://ndid.co.th/faqs/

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rules ???...  its something written on a website which is most likely a mistake... (clearly it is a mistake)...

The mistake made by Bangkok Bank was that any non Thai national was allowed to register for a NDID not that the current website is wrong. Do note that the service provider (in your case Bangkok Bank) has the responsibility of identification and verification of identity.

The only exceptions to the registration could be those who have permanent residence or have gained nationality.

If you are so confident that the websites are wrong then you will be able to go to any other bank and register with them using your current registration. 

IMG_8875.jpeg.c20204653349b6c7870641d5f8ca0fb6.jpeg

It maybe that you can since you have erroneously have been allowed to register or you could loose the registration you have now

However and much more importantly every other foreigner will be able to register!

Do you care to roll the dice? Do you know anyone (non Thai ) who has recently got an NDID?

I know that I was not able to register, I don’t remember who I asked as I have 4 banks that I use.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:17 PM, Kenny202 said:

Have people successfully done the scan thing and can now transfer higher amounts

Yes, I have the BKK bank app and transferred money using face scan. 

It's time consuming and doesn't always work, annoying. 

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2024 at 5:17 PM, Kenny202 said:

FWIW I have authorised SCB to not require face scan I have scanned my face with Bangkok Bank, Kasikornbank & Bank of Ayudhaya (KMA Krungsri). The face scan is not always successful first time.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, I have the BKK bank app and transferred money using face scan. 

It's time consuming and doesn't always work, annoying. 

I find their app generally time consuming for any transaction....more often than not have to close it and open it a few times mid transaction, even for scanning in a shop or transferring small amounts...seems to continually freeze up