Phuket’s ‘Russian invasion’ – they’re here to stay

webfact

More houses on the market again, demand seems to be declining. Also less Russians on the road. I disagree with the op. I'm sure many are here to stay, but the total volume seems to be declining.

Also less Russian tourists it seems, more Chinese though. Same same but different.

• Agree 1

As far as I'm concerned, Russians and Ukrainians are the same and their population consists largely of corrupt and criminal people. Corrupt countries always attract corrupt and criminal people. It's only a matter of time before a Russian kills a Ukrainian or vice versa. The question is not whether it will happen, but when and what it will do to the general atmosphere in places in Thailand where many Russians and Ukrainians reside.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 4
  • Agree 1

There was a time when reports were regular on here about locals in Phuket moaning about the Russians taking their jobs. Maybe the moaners have had a word in their ears to stop moaning about them or has their been a little brown envelope dropped through their door?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I think it’s hard to argue Thailand has been neutral. Russians get 90 days automatic visa, Ukrainians get ? Right, a lot less

Agree when this clown of an PM went there cap in hand begging for money, he said it was recipical, and yet Thais can get a 3 month visa for Ukraine, if that is not taking sides then what is. There also appears to be a lot on Koh Chang now, their money must be quite low as I see them in Macro with very little in their trolleys, apart from some pulses. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Over the past year Russian buyers have been the most numerous in the Phuket property market, by far. Almost single-handedly artificially inflating the value of the market after years of languishing, particularly during the Covid pandemic.

Give it 10 years Phuket will be owned by Russians

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

They the Russians were the same in WW2 raping, pillaging, drinking all along the way, they have no morals.  

An old man told me years back that when the Russian arrived the locals would send messages to neighboring villages to warn the people to hide the women and kids, especially girls. Savages he said. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Over the past year Russian buyers have been the most numerous in the Phuket property market, by far. Almost single-handedly artificially inflating the value of the market after years of languishing, particularly during the Covid pandemic.

How are they buying property? I thought foreigners could not buy land, or are they setting up corporations and buying with Thai people? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Tedly said:

How are they buying property? I thought foreigners could not buy land, or are they setting up corporations and buying with Thai people? 

Maybe that should be addressed in the article -  can a foreigner own a condo?