Oops! there goes another one.

worgeordie

Same situation out in Doi Saket... for seemingly nothing and often we lose power...

I lived in a very small village far from a city in another province - much more reliable electric service than here. 

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

A few years ago I had to visit the PEA workshop/yard , they had lots of transformers there ,

all had Chinese writing on them , maybe it's the quality of transformers they are buying ,

while lightning strikes maybe a part of what's happening , it occurs mostly when it rains

and or the wind blows...

regards worgeordie

Back when  power outages were frequent my wife would with a resigned air simply say "a dog has peed on a power pole again" .

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The transformer that we get our supply from has 3 trips, 2 are gone in the picture below.

Our problem is not rain, but snakes which seem to crawl across the wires and blow the transformer, as the snakes’ body is always found at the bottom of the pole after the bang.

IMG_2400.jpeg

Yep, we had a cat blow our development transformer. It was extremely fried! 

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It's only rained 2 times this year and been windy and both times a Transformer has blown , electric off , so it's not looking good for the rainy season ,when it starts ,

I think when the dry dust gets wet it blows, and when they get overloaded, happens all the time here, the power poles also have drop out fuses. 

dropping-fuse-cutout-on-insulator-260nw-1778728544.webp.90d6f90d73ccf290fc34181db81fb14a.webp

• Like 1

!3 years here in Chiang Mai. I have not studied the broader  issue and so I can only relate my own experience having lived in L&H (Maejo), Condo and rental home at 118 & 121 area (Sansai), Phimuk 1 (Sansai Noi) and now Saraphi. Only real damage was observed in 2011 upon first retiring in July 2011. Those who were here will well remember August that year. Chiang Mai flooded with the Mae Ping going over its banks. High electric poles along 121 were brought down. L&H flooded, I had to go to a hotel for a couple of nights. Other than that, I have been pleased and a bit surprised after noting the electric wire "rats nests" throughout Thailand. Oh, my electric has gone off but my experience has been that it is restored in short order. It is, in my experience it is off, usually, the longest one hour. If the electric went off where I lived in the USA, it was serious and would last the better part of a day or longer. But then I lived on the fringe of "tornado alley". Ice storm in 2009 left most ofwestern Kentucky without electric the better part of two weeks.

20 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

There aren't more because the locals eat anything thy can catch. There is no conservation for anything besides in provincial parks, and I'm sure they get their share of poachers besides the rich who think they can shoot leopards and get away with it. Most lakes that aren't too deep are netted out, so the smaller fish the bigger fish, the predatory ones, need to eat to get bigger are pretty much gone., leaving the bigger fish without a food supply. Back home you get a certain amount of fish you can catch a day, with rod and reel, and if you keep more you are fined. This is why there are deer, small game, game birds and fish everywhere.

evolution lives another day.....is not my world im just trying to live in it....

On 4/15/2024 at 6:44 PM, worgeordie said:

Sitting in the kitchen watching YouTube on the PC , it starts raining ,well drizzle really ,then a gust of wind blows through the window ,then a Bang ! off in distance , Electric goes off,

it's not thunder I know that sound well now ,it's a transformer blowing up , well I don't actually know if the transformer blows or if they have fuses, but it's a big bang.

It's only rained 2 times this year and been windy and both times a Transformer has blown , electric off , so it's not looking good for the rainy season ,when it starts ,

It's not as though I am out of the way ,it's a Moo Bahn , and if I could stand on my roof ,two story ,I could see the Electrical plant ,maybe 3 Kilo away , so am I living in a twilight zone ,where everytime the wind blows and it rains the electric goes off, or is there anyone else that   has the same problems ?     over an hour later it has come back on.

The problem is just not mine, there's a  wet market ,many other shops , a Tops but I see they have a big generator and it's been going on for years.

Thailand wants to be the Hub of everything ,buy Subs,Fighter jets, Space ,give everybody 10K,would be better spent on the Hub of reliable Utilities , then there's the water supply .........maybe for another time

regards worgeordie

Like you, I am waiting for the rains, and will guarantee the power will go out. About two years ago they cut the power from 7 am until about 8 pm. When I asked why, they said they were upgrading the system so that the power was not interrupted when it rained. No points for guessing what happened about four days later, when we had a thunderstorm.......no power for 4 hours. When I asked why I was told it was another part that had not been upgraded. Snakes, are a common problem, yet when I suggest the wire rat cones on the poles I am met with blank stares. Our biggest culprit though are the drunk drivers hitting the power poles, normally one a week, depending on how many weddings or funerals there are.

• Like 1

No wind or rain and last night 21:30hrs the power goes off.

45 minutes to find and fix , which in itself isn't bad....but

16:15hrs today , no wind and no rain , the power goes off  .

This time an hour and 15 minutes to locate and fix.

Temperature in the house up to 34°c .

On 4/15/2024 at 6:44 PM, worgeordie said:

there's a  wet market

Is that where the Mrs. buys the pangolins and bat soup?  

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

Battery back ups are dirt cheap to keep charged and store a considerable amount of power for their size.  

On 4/16/2024 at 9:17 AM, newbee2022 said:

Please add your own observations

More young Thais speak English. 

I've had nice conversations with young Thais all over the country. Today it was 2 women with a Hilux full of durian at a red light in Chantaburi.  They rolled down their window and asked where I'm from.  I tour on a Honda Click and wear one of those 200 baht brain buckets, so it's easy to see that I'm a farang, and a friendly one at that. Lovely young women who were happy to practice their English. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/15/2024 at 7:03 PM, Georgealbert said:

The transformer that we get our supply from has 3 trips, 2 are gone in the picture below.

Our problem is not rain, but snakes which seem to crawl across the wires and blow the transformer, as the snakes’ body is always found at the bottom of the pole after the bang.

IMG_2400.jpeg

i used to have the snake issue and then PEA installed these net like funnels on the poles, no issues with snakes since then.

Power still goes off now and then tho - lol

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

i used to have the snake issue and then PEA installed these net like funnels on the poles, no issues with snakes since then.

Power still goes off now and then tho - lol

Yes agree, the pole that affects us has the net fitted, the problems is that pole is next to a boundary wall, near neighbouring buildings and a few trees..I have seen snakes getting onto the wires from these, so bypassing the nets.

Our power outages only happens 4 or 5 times a year, but with rainy season due, the chances normally increase.

17 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes agree, the pole that affects us has the net fitted, the problems is that pole is next to a boundary wall, near neighbouring buildings and a few trees..I have seen snakes getting onto the wires from these, so bypassing the nets.

Our power outages only happens 4 or 5 times a year, but with rainy season due, the chances normally increase.

The nets we have here are only about 1m from the top of a approx 10-12m pole.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

The nets we have here are only about 1m from the top of a approx 10-12m pole.

Went to have a look at the one near us. The net is now hanging off, so offers no protection.

Also the pole is near a boundary wall/fence and is a bit overgrown.

Nothing I can do as it is on a neighbour’s property, and PEA only seem to come when it needs resetting.

IMG_5672.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Went to have a look at the one near us. The net is now hanging off, so offers no protection.

Also the pole is near a boundary wall/fence and is a bit overgrown.

Nothing I can do as it is on a neighbour’s property, and PEA only seem to come when it needs resetting.

IMG_5672.jpeg

yeah, i'd be cutting those 'climbers' as well.

2 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

yeah, i'd be cutting those 'climbers' as well.

Yes I have mentioned it in the past, but the property owner will not risk it, as the climbers are wrapped around the electricity and other cables.

We are lucky as the PEA are always fast in responding, at any time, day or night, so I now just leave it to them.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes I have mentioned it in the past, but the property owner will not risk it, as the climbers are wrapped around the electricity and other cables.

We are lucky as the PEA are always fast in responding, at any time, day or night, so I now just leave it to them.

Risk it?

All you need to do is cut them just off ground level and they'll die.

Some of those climbers ( vines ) can have a lot of strength againstcables etc, more risk by not cutting them IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1