Food shopping in Jomtien

jaywalker2

Given that there are no full-scale grocery stores in Jomtien, just the ubiqutous 7-11s and Tops Dailies, do people living there mainly eat out?  Is there a convenient way to rely on your own cooking if you don't have your own transporation or would you have to take Bolt constantly to one of the major stores?  I'm thinking of transferring there but I wonder if there is a lack of amentities outside the tourist trade.

Foodmart is fine for basics, but the choice is very limited and you need to head out to Lotus, Big C, Makro, Friendship and even Siamburi's. If you don't want to invest in your own wheels, the ride-hailing apps like Grab and Bolt provide very reasonably-priced taxis. Don't forget that you also have the expat food shop by the Machanu statue, and I believe there's another one in Jomtien Beach Condo, though I've never been to it myself. Depending on where in Jomtien you are, the market on Soi Wat Bun might also be handy for you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Foodmart is the best grocery in Jomtien OR Pattaya.  I find it odd to not consider it a full grocery.

I love their baked section, the prices aren't *too* marked up and they actually give me plastic bags instead of having to accumulate 287 'ecobags'.

That said, I DO supplement with deliveries from Makro for larger scale stuff and Grab 'greengrocer' for fresh chicken breasts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We're a family of 4. I would find it very hard to live in Jomtien without having transport and a Makro, big c or lotus nearby. Luckily there's all 3 on the same road within a few km of eachother. If I was single and no kids, then I wouldn't need to cook at home and could live off just street food and restaurants. But yeah without having a car and a bike I would be bored very fast living in Jomtien.

Edited by hello55060
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

I think Foodmart is the best grocery in Jomtien OR Pattaya.  I find it odd to not consider it a full grocery.

I love their baked section, the prices aren't *too* marked up and they actually give me plastic bags instead of having to accumulate 287 'ecobags'.

That said, I DO supplement with deliveries from Makro for larger scale stuff and Grab 'greengrocer' for fresh chicken breasts.

I found their prices horrendous!

Far more expensive than Aldi in Australia 

Cheese , cold meats , even a lot of other stuff more expensive than ALDI 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Given that there are no full-scale grocery stores in Jomtien, just the ubiqutous 7-11s and Tops Dailies, do people living there mainly eat out?  Is there a convenient way to rely on your own cooking if you don't have your own transporation or would you have to take Bolt constantly to one of the major stores?  I'm thinking of transferring there but I wonder if there is a lack of amentities outside the tourist trade.

You need to eat out at the local food stalls and restaurants on a daily basis. They are very cheap but it's not like other countries where you haul in food from the market, unless you have a car which most people don't. Even if you have a motorbike you can't fit that much on there. If you try to carry stuff more then a few blocks you are dodging soi dogs, no sidewalks, the heat, etc.

Be real careful to scout out the surroundings when you rent a place. The first thing I look for on google earth is nearby eateries and markets. Check the distances and remember on a street without sidewalks and watching for vehicles it's not easy carrying a bunch of groceries.

You could take a bolt taxi both ways, but it's one of those things I just never end up doing.

I actually rented a place in the central pattaya area that was near a shopping center just to have groceries nearby. Much easier, as I can walk over and I don't drive here. I still eat out most of the time.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Even if you have a motorbike you can't fit that much on there.

Where there's a will, there's a way. If needed, I have two large travel duffle bags I stack on top of each other on the back and attach them to the bike with bungee cords. Or I have a large hiking backpack I can use.

But, really, OP, you should just make use of delivery services as noted above. Just shop online, mostly. Hit Foodmart to fill in the gaps.

3 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I agree with other posters here on Foodmart. For such a small supermarket, it has an amazingly comprehensive selection of Western food, everything that a fussy eater such as myself needs. I’m in Australia now, back in Jomtien in a couple of weeks, and am looking forward to Foodmart’s precut pineapple pieces, so much better quality than the whole pineapples I buy in Australia. I don’t think it’s more expensive than any other Western oriented supermarket in Thailand. What I can’t understand is how the place manages to handle all of the occupants of those thousands of condos, especially in peak season.

A very positive post 

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

Where there's a will, there's a way. If needed, I have two large travel duffle bags I stack on top of each other on the back and attach them to the bike with bungee cords. Or I have a large hiking backpack I can use.

But, really, OP, you should just make use of delivery services as noted above. Just shop online, mostly. Hit Foodmart to fill in the gaps.

I'm not sure where the Op is from, but that's not on par with a grocery trip in the Usa, for example, filling the trunk of the car and backseat with groceries, usually around at least 5 bags per trip. For example, at a safeway, costco or walmart. The Op will also likely be disappointed by the Foodmart if they are used to shopping at large western grocery stores.

Op will need to focus much more on getting food daily in Asia, rather then weekly grocery trips. It's part of living here for most people and takes much more time here for some reason, unless you have a car. 

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Op will need to focus much more on getting food daily in Asia, rather then weekly grocery trips. It's part of living here for most people and takes much more time here for some reason, unless you have a car.

Yes that approximates to how my life has panned out. Wife makes nearly daily trips to the nearby wet market on her motorcycle. I do a once a week shop in town, using the car for non-food items and some farang foodstuffs. I take a cold box and stuff goes in there to stay fresh while I may partake of some other diversions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure where the Op is from, but that's not on par with a grocery trip in the Usa, for example, filling the trunk of the car and backseat with groceries, usually around at least 5 bags per trip.

5 bags is more a family haul. Since the OP says something about "his own cooking," sounds like he doesn't have a family. Probably won't even have room in his apt for that much stuff. If I fill up two large duffle bags at Makro, and the cargo space in the bike if needed, I'm good for 2 weeks. Usually includes a number of frozen items. 

Other things I just get delivered. Occasionally I'll restock something from 7/11 or Tops nearby, like fresh milk. Rarely I'll stop by the local Thai fresh market.

Op will need to focus much more on getting food daily in Asia, rather then weekly grocery trips.

Nah. Been here more than 20 years, never went out daily for food except when I first arrived and had no cooking facility. If you got cooking facilities, and of course a fridge, a daily shop is more of a Thai cultural practice. But even my Thai gf, when in residence, doesn't, quite used to my way of doing things. Waste of time & effort. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I lived in Bang Saray I used Lotus delivery for the bulk of my shopping. They had pretty much all I needed, and there were a number of small shops and a nice local market in easy scooter distance. Traffic was not too bad in those days.

Now married and live up Bang Phli way. My wife often orders delivery meals locally. I have ordered a few times from Makro which delivers free with a minimum order.

I used to walk to the local Lotus and the fresh market next to it, but not quite recovered from broken bones yet. I did try an expedition the other day and made it about half way there before having to turn back. Soon!

M Thai wife does have a “thing” about not stocking much food. She would rather run out.
I used to grow, can, keep goats and chickens, and make almost  everything, but then I lived way off grid and it was a good half hour drive to anything. I cannot physically do it anymore.

Making sausages and charcuterie now is my “ fill-in”.

If you don't drive or have a motorbike, then you are left with Bolt or the baht bus.  I do a couple of trips into Pattaya every week and stock up at Central and Villa.  Usually by baht bus but in this heat, I spring for a Bolt.

2 hours ago, LALes said:

If you don't drive or have a motorbike, then you are left with Bolt or the baht bus.  I do a couple of trips into Pattaya every week and stock up at Central and Villa.  Usually by baht bus but in this heat, I spring for a Bolt.

You can buy online for both Central and Villa.

Central through Tops online is free for orders over 900.

No need to go into Pattaya at all for groceries unless you're a masochist.

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You can buy online for both Central and Villa.

Central through Tops online is free for orders over 900.

No need to go into Pattaya at all for groceries unless you're a masochist.

Or just want a quick perve... 

Edited by Korat Kiwi
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LALes said:

I like going into Pattaya a few times a week.  I'd go crazy if I had to stay in Jomtien all the time.  Ugh.

Sure but schlepping big bags of groceries on baht buses is not fun and not necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem is traveling to a major market in Pattaya is time-consuming and you can't carry that much, certainly not on the baht bus. Most condos don't have a greal deal of storage space in the kitchen either. This necessitates visiting a store several times a week, I find.  But I suppose in Thailand cooking is not a priority for most people. I find eating out all the time exhausting, however.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I got it down to a science.  I go into Pattaya 2 or 3 times a week and buy a small bag's worth of stuff each time.

No problem .  If I have a big item or items, I take a Bolt back.

On 4/20/2024 at 4:30 PM, QuantumQuandry said:

You may be shocked to learn that I don't compare prices to groceries in completely different countries.

Chicken breasts 30% over BigC.

• Thanks 1