Why the hush money case against Donald Trump is on shaky ground

Social Media

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I know what you mean. For instance, the Trump organization was repeatedly slandered by leftists for being a corrupt enterprise. But the courts proved them wrong. While it was indicted on 17 criminal counts, it was only convicted on 17 of them.

I'm not really sure what point you're making.  🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Hardly surprising.  While Trump says and does a lot of daft things, his critics lie about him all day long.  Luckily, courts are at least still impartial, so the accusations have to be proven.  And when things need to be proven, the left-wing narrative often falls apart.  🤷‍♂️

That should be "so far the left-wing narrative usually falls apart".

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You never read any of the OPs then? That explains a lot about your posts.

I'm guessing you don't know the recent changes to news posts here?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, frank83628 said:

no, its about get trump at any costs, a purely political witch hunt and has been since he ran for office.... how amny thing have the demoncrats thrown at him so far?

Turn off Faux News. It's not a political witch hunt. Sad Maga cult members are ok with their leaders breaking the law.

1 hour ago, Roo Island said:

Turn off Faux News. It's not a political witch hunt. Sad Maga cult members are ok with their leaders breaking the law.

i don't watch fox news., and YES, it is a political witch hunt, you just don't see it because you despise Trump and welcome any negative news against him!
clinton, biden, pelosi, most msm news anchors all bang on about 'if Trumps gets in again it will be the end of democracy' and that 'he will attack his political rivals' , when the Dems are doing that to him now, albeit not directly from Bidens mouth.

P.S   isn't  'maga cult members'  derogatory name calling like a few were saying only the Trump crew do?  again, you don't see your own hypocrisy!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i don't watch fox news., and YES, it is a political witch hunt, you just don't see it because you despise Trump and welcome any negative news against him!
clinton, biden, pelosi, most msm news anchors all bang on about 'if Trumps gets in again it will be the end of democracy' and that 'he will attack his political rivals' , when the Dems are doing that to him now, albeit not directly from Bidens mouth.

P.S   isn't  'maga cult members'  derogatory name calling like a few were saying only the Trump crew do?  again, you don't see your own hypocrisy!

Where do you get your news. Be honest. Me? The NY Times, AP, NPR, Al jazerra, the economist, etc.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2024 at 5:18 PM, jerrymahoney said:

Yes. They should not have listed the entries as legal expenses. They should have entered them as extortion payments:

According to New York Penal Law §155.05(2)(e), extortion occurs when a person compels or threatens another to deliver money or property under the threat of physical violence, property damage, or public humiliation.

https://jeffreylichtman.com/new-york-city-white-collar-criminal-defense-lawyer/coercion-and-extortion

May 2, 2024

During the cross-examination, the defense lawyer Emil Bove quickly sought to discredit Mr. Davidson. He accused him of toeing the line between seeking monetary settlements for his clients and extortion. And he warned Mr. Davidson that he was “not here to play lawyer games,” adding that he was seeking truthful answers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/02/nyregion/trump-trial-keith-davidson-stormy-daniels-hush-money.html

Updated 2:12 AM GMT+7, May 3, 2024

(Emil) Bove also noted that Davidson had been involved in similar hush money payments for clients that had nothing to do with presidential politics, grilling him about previous instances in which he solicited money to suppress embarrassing stories, including one involving wrestler Hulk Hogan.

By the time Davidson negotiated hush money payments for McDougal and Daniels, Bove asked Davidson whether he was “pretty well versed in coming right up to the line without committing extortion, right?”

“I had familiarized myself with the law,” Davidson replied.

https://apnews.com/article/hush-money-trial-new-fines-testimony-trump-fe6995afbc96650b67f46d813ab05f06

16 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

May 2, 2024

During the cross-examination, the defense lawyer Emil Bove quickly sought to discredit Mr. Davidson. He accused him of toeing the line between seeking monetary settlements for his clients and extortion. And he warned Mr. Davidson that he was “not here to play lawyer games,” adding that he was seeking truthful answers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/02/nyregion/trump-trial-keith-davidson-stormy-daniels-hush-money.html

Updated 2:12 AM GMT+7, May 3, 2024

(Emil) Bove also noted that Davidson had been involved in similar hush money payments for clients that had nothing to do with presidential politics, grilling him about previous instances in which he solicited money to suppress embarrassing stories, including one involving wrestler Hulk Hogan.

By the time Davidson negotiated hush money payments for McDougal and Daniels, Bove asked Davidson whether he was “pretty well versed in coming right up to the line without committing extortion, right?”

“I had familiarized myself with the law,” Davidson replied.

https://apnews.com/article/hush-money-trial-new-fines-testimony-trump-fe6995afbc96650b67f46d813ab05f06

If we didn't have your word for it, one would think that you were in in the bag for Trump. Ignoring stuff like this much?

Jury Hears Tape of Trump and Cohen Discussing Hush-Money Deal
On it, Mr. Cohen discusses a hush-money deal that the parent company of The National Enquirer made on Mr. Trump’s behalf with the former Playboy model Karen McDougal, as well as the question of how to deal with “the financing” — that is, repaying — the supermarket tabloid’s publisher, David Pecker.

“What financing?” Mr. Trump asked, suddenly snapping to attention. He then directed Mr. Cohen to “pay with cash.”

https://archive.ph/XjcM8

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

If we didn't have your word for it, one would think that you were in in the bag for Trump. Ignoring stuff like this much?

Jury Hears Tape of Trump and Cohen Discussing Hush-Money Deal
On it, Mr. Cohen discusses a hush-money deal that the parent company of The National Enquirer made on Mr. Trump’s behalf with the former Playboy model Karen McDougal, as well as the question of how to deal with “the financing” — that is, repaying — the supermarket tabloid’s publisher, David Pecker.

“What financing?” Mr. Trump asked, suddenly snapping to attention. He then directed Mr. Cohen to “pay with cash.”

https://archive.ph/XjcM8

So now we know Trump paid stormy off to keep quiet, amazing, 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

So now we know Trump paid stormy off to keep quiet, amazing, 

Yes but it wasn't about Melania.

Melania is in a transactional marriage.

She knows what kind of man he is.

It was about the election. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes but it wasn't about Melania.

Melania is in a transactional marriage.

She knows what kind of man he is.

It was about the election. 

So? Influencing or attempting to influence an election is not illegal. 

How many stories were crushed in Clinton's "nuts or sluts" campaign? 

Stop being ingenuous. 

What does that mean? 

How is paying her off to keep quiet illegal? It is not. 

If influencing an election was illegal, everyone wearing a Biden hat would be guilty. 

NDAs to keep people quiet do not qualify as campaign expenses. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

What does that mean? 

How is paying her off to keep quiet illegal? It is not. 

If influencing an election was illegal, everyone wearing a Biden hat would be guilty. 

NDAs to keep people quiet do not qualify as campaign expenses. 

Read the indictment. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You have no idea, do you?

I do actually but you haven't even read about the case so talking to you is a waste of time.

If it makes you feel any better I predict the jury will hang. 

Edited by Jingthing

I do actually but you haven't even read about the case so talking to you is a waste of time.

You don't, it you did you would say.

I'm betting he's convicted. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Of course he knows it. It's just one of his favourite trolling tactics.

15 minutes ago, candide said:

Of course he knows it. It's just one of his favourite trolling tactics.

Yes, you guys all know, but none of you will say....

Posted (edited)

The ground just firmed up a bit with Hope Hicks’ testimony.

Slipping in at the end her conversation with Defendant Trump in which he states the need to ‘deal with Daniels now’ and in doing so blowing a hole in the Defendant’s claims that Cohen was a loose cannon, running around making decisions and spending hundreds of $thousands of the Defendant’s money without any knowledge or involvement the Defendant.

In a bid to ensure the Jury didn’t miss the long, Hicks followed the testimony with tears before turning to the Defendant and saying ‘sorry’.

Sorry for what, telling the truth?

Perhaps not the ‘Hope’ the Defendant’s supporters and apologists were trying to cling in to.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1

Hicks helps Trump’s ‘Melania’ defense
Hicks handed a gift to Trump when she testified on direct examination that the reaction of his wife Melania was his biggest concern on the morning that the Wall Street Journal article detailing the hush-money payments came out three days before the 2016 election.

“He was concerned about how it would be viewed by his wife,” Hicks said.

The Trump team suggested in opening statements that the main reason why the catch-and-kill scheme to buy Daniels’s story happened was because Trump found it embarrassing for him and for Melania – an alternative explanation to prosecutors’ case that it was to influence the election.

Prosecutors subsequently tried to have Hicks add that Trump was also concerned about those stories derailing his 2016 campaign, but Hicks only offered that Trump was always asking how certain news would “play” with voters.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/03/trump-trial-hope-hicks-testimony-key-takeaways