Three Dead, Seven Injured in Pickup Truck Accident in Thailand

image.jpeg

A pickup truck carrying religious ceremony attendees from Phuket to Nakhon Si Thammarat tragically flipped on Southern Road in Surat Thani province, resulting in three deaths and seven injuries. The accident occurred early morning near the entrance of Ban Marueat village on Highway 44.

The involved vehicle was a white pickup truck with license plate number ขง2692 from Surat Thani. According to witnesses, the pickup suddenly lost control and flipped, causing the mishap.

Among the passengers was a mother tightly holding her daughter. The emergency services, alerted by Police Lieutenant Nathdanai Rungreuang of the Kanchanadit Police Station, promptly arrived at the scene and transported eight individuals to the Kanchanadit Hospital.

Panee Chaiyakul (49), Surachet Chaiyakul (31), Jeerapa Inprang, Wipawarn Tamsaeng, Suwit Changsar, and Pakin Khumprom were among those injured, all suffering various abrasions.

Montathip Chaiyakul and young Chanapha Khumprom sustained severe injuries, and Chanapha was later declared dead at the hospital. Two other fatalities, Nattakan Pharachatree (27) and Bundarik Chaiyakul (24), were reported at the scene. 

Newshawk Phuket reported the incident on Facebook, stating that 10 individuals were involved in the accident near the Don Sak intersection. Other unfortunate news followed, as two individuals lost their lives in a motorcycle crash in Nakhon Ratchasima following a police chase initiated by the Chaloem Phra Kiat Police Station.

TOP File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-27

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to witnesses, the pickup suddenly lost control and flipped, causing the mishap.

Tire blown out or distracted by a glowing handheld device?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The involved vehicle was a white pickup truck with license plate number ขง2692 from Surat Thani.

tasteless. the story of the drunk lady in the benz had the license plate whited out. yet here with death. naaa it'll be fine. 

55 minutes ago, pattjock said:

You are not allowed to carry passengers in the back of a pick-up truck.

You're telling me, I was fined many years ago by the Highway Police for doing so, made to overload the cabin by squeezing everybody inside. While they were checking my driving license, my wife pointed out a number of Thai's driving past with people in the back, the response was "We don't see them", presumably no money to be made by stopping them, witnessed by the fact that no receipt was given for fine payment.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A pickup truck carrying religious ceremony attendees from Phuket to Nakhon Si Thammarat tragically flipped on Southern Road in Surat Thani province, resulting in three deaths and seven injuries. The accident occurred early morning near the entrance of Ban Marueat village on Highway 44.

The involved vehicle was a white pickup truck with license plate number ขง2692 from Surat Thani. According to witnesses, the pickup suddenly lost control and flipped, causing the mishap.

Among the passengers was a mother tightly holding her daughter. The emergency services, alerted by Police Lieutenant Nathdanai Rungreuang of the Kanchanadit Police Station, promptly arrived at the scene and transported eight individuals to the Kanchanadit Hospital.

Panee Chaiyakul (49), Surachet Chaiyakul (31), Jeerapa Inprang, Wipawarn Tamsaeng, Suwit Changsar, and Pakin Khumprom were among those injured, all suffering various abrasions.

Montathip Chaiyakul and young Chanapha Khumprom sustained severe injuries, and Chanapha was later declared dead at the hospital. Two other fatalities, Nattakan Pharachatree (27) and Bundarik Chaiyakul (24), were reported at the scene. 

Newshawk Phuket reported the incident on Facebook, stating that 10 individuals were involved in the accident near the Don Sak intersection. Other unfortunate news followed, as two individuals lost their lives in a motorcycle crash in Nakhon Ratchasima following a police chase initiated by the Chaloem Phra Kiat Police Station.

TOP File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-27

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Nap?

Line?

Facebook?

Passenger distracted?

Drunk?

Drugged?

Too many reason.

Absolute sad story!😥

• Agree 1

They did know that riding in the back of a pickup is illegal, didn't they? For a reason. But Thais have a built-in belief that the law only applies to others, not them, and so people die and everyone starts wailing. Same with parents letting underage kids ride motorcycles, and there are tears when he's scrapped off of the road. And it doesn't matter a rat's fart if the law is enforced or not. Common sense, totally absent in Thailand, tells you not to do it because it's dangerous. But they just love to roll the dice.

5 hours ago, stoner said:

tasteless. the story of the drunk lady in the benz had the license plate whited out. yet here with death. naaa it'll be fine. 

But she had a Benz. You should know they a protected class.

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They did know that riding in the back of a pickup is illegal, didn't they? For a reason. But Thais have a built-in belief that the law only applies to others, not them, and so people die and everyone starts wailing. Same with parents letting underage kids ride motorcycles, and there are tears when he's scrapped off of the road. And it doesn't matter a rat's fart if the law is enforced or not. Common sense, totally absent in Thailand, tells you not to do it because it's dangerous. But they just love to roll the dice.

I've come to believe that it actually is a "cultural " thing. in as much as, if it's not "sanook" then there's a genuine reluctance to comply or stubbornness not to . This seems to apply to safety measures in general. but especially on the roads.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, tandor said:

probably say Rest In Peace.

Yeah, say that to the daughter and son that lost their dad or mum. Say it to the mum or dad that just lost their son or daughter. All just because the stupidity to sit outside in a space that is designed for cargo.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, say that to the daughter and son that lost their dad or mum. Say it to the mum or dad that just lost their son or daughter. All just because the stupidity to sit outside in a space that is designed for cargo.

that's what the Court's of Law are for to decide any penalty and/or compensation.

55 minutes ago, tandor said:

that's what the Court's of Law are for to decide any penalty and/or compensation.

Really? I was not thinking monetary. I was thinking about feelings.

1 hour ago, tandor said:

this same court of law will bring the driver ( if still alive ) up on charges of careless driving causing death right ? 

keeping in mind it is illegal to put people in the back of your pick up. 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

this same court of law will bring the driver ( if still alive ) up on charges of careless driving causing death right ? 

keeping in mind it is illegal to put people in the back of your pick up. 

i would say dangerous or reckless, and of course no mention of drugs/alcohol or both in the driver's blood..so once again the Court will decide..Im just being courteous in another's country by offing a prayer..RIP

31 minutes ago, tandor said:

me too...feelings cloud clear judgements.

That´s what I have been saying. Therefore they did not understand to only use the car for the amount of passengers it is designed for.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, stoner said:

i would also share your feeling however after 20 years i see no change on the roads here. thai society needs to look inward at the culture and start to change. 

at that time i will start to respect and take them seriously on this matter. 

came back to canada last week. driving here is like floating on a cloud of rainbows surrounded by puppy dogs and lollipops compared to the gong show that is thailand. 

i agree wholeheartedly.