This heat is brutal and my Electricity bill is also brutal.....

redwood1

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Aircon in combo with fan can lower your electric bill with up to 50%

I was a little shocked last year when I got a 2900 baht elec bill in April when normally it's about 1200-1400. I serviced the aircons as weren't as cold as they should be and put a movable fan in the tv room. I still used aircon in bedroom all night to sleep but Elec bill in May came back down to 1500

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Anyway anyone here from Australia especially Queensland or Northern Territory should be used to the brutal heat 

Probably nothing compared to living in Alice Springs 

Yea mate ,Lived in NQLD Cairns Innisfail area for nearly 35 yrs but now I start feeling the Heat/ humidity  more  as I get Older .

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

We had 44 over the weekend, Thats brutal ! 

Our electricity is up this month with temps over 40 regularly. probably up 25%, to be expected.

Mine went up over 40% in April over March. Having said that, it was Songkran and we had 8 extra visitors for 4 days, and 2 of them stayed for 2 weeks. My wife tells me that next month may be worse. even though there are only 3 of us now.

20 hours ago, McTavish said:

Is there a way to shade the outside of the wall - trees, awning or lattice?   I installed a 4m x 2.4m UV 95% blockout awning outside a wall (10cm off) and it has made a huge difference.  Even a cheapie market/shop-style roll down awning will do.

Trees never took (bushes really).... I did try a large plastic/ cloth awning which shaded the wall roughly as you suggest.... ( hooks at the top and bungee at the bottom). I think it claimed 90% shading, but am tempted to say it might give more of a greenhouse effect. What does get through still seriously heats the wall, given the time and intensity of it now. It has never endured before like this hot season. I even get the hose pipe on the wall at sunset some days, in an effort to cool it off. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:31 AM, redwood1 said:

This heat wave is costing me a lot of money...

My usual electric bill in the condo cost around 1500, 1600 baht a month....Last months bill was

a whopping 3200 baht......This is my highest electric bill EVER in Thailand

I tried to not use the air so much but I was sweating like a pig in the condo with the aircon off...

3200 baht for one month of electricity is crazy......I would rather spend that money on more important things like drinking in bars....

They really should give farangs FREE electricity because we are not use to this heat like the Thais are.....

Has anyone else seen a big increase in their electric bill?

Has anyone else seen a big increase in their electric bill?....Nooooo,Mine Was 201 Baht MORE Last Month, That's very little to pay for a bit of Comfort....!!

Looking at the weather records, it seems to me that the evenings must be particularly uncomfortable.  In a building it could be 33 or more up to midnight with high humidity too.

Of an evening, a sensible strategy could be to wander the streets in tight fitting swimming briefs, perhaps in bright lemon, or shock pink.  Could make some interesting new friends too.

I think, on the other hand, it's probably best to visit a well cooled den of ill repute and stay there all night.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I'm dreaming for it to drop that low here in Korat. 

At 8:15 last night it was still 36°

Currently sitting on 39.7°. however hoping to get rain tomorrow afternoon.  85% chance with possibly 10mm of rain.  Fingers crossed! 

inside temperature?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Pattaya my condo reached 33.1⁰ yesterday afternoon, a record, that's with wind blowing from the sea through my condo front to back

Turn on your aircon then....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

ah but your humidity is a lot lower? currently I'm at 32.7⁰ 74% humidity

... true, dry af up here, 50% tops and down to 37% when hottest.

Minimal to no mozzies as well, quite unusual for this time oty.

A good 38⁰ in da crib though, just as outside right now where it reached 41⁰ earlier today.

I'm fine with a fan but do indeed prefer AC for nights rest these days ... 

Edited by jollyhangmon
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Pattaya my condo reached 33.1⁰ yesterday afternoon, a record, that's with wind blowing from the sea through my condo front to back

Have you got the AC on? My lounge gets hotter and don't mention my bedroom with the West facing wall. I miss a sea breeze. 

On 4/29/2024 at 2:58 PM, Goat said:

That is warm Charlie.

But spare a thought for the millions of Thais who dont have an aircon. 

Tough people the Thais. 

you could say the same for anyone who lives in a cold climnate with many

-c temps, you adapt  to it especially if youve been brought up in it. My Wife couldnt stand anything below 30c.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Will B Good said:

We run two 18,000 units from 11am to 9pm, then a smaller 12,000 unit from 9pm till 9am.....our bill was 3,700B.....more than happy with that.

Congrats.
Probably a relative new house with excellent insulation properties on roof, ceiling and walls.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 8:36 PM, johng said:

Get your aircon cleaned..set it to 27 degrees not 16...wear less clothing, have more showers.

yep i do this...cool shower b4 sleep and set at 27 with fan on low....i wake up to move temp to 30 as it gets chilly for me and i use a cotton sheet to cover......seems the 27' uses less amperage..than above 27

windows open during day with fan..just use ac when sleeping...

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls

Temperature and humidity in my kitchen a few days ago (CM) The fridge doesn't help, I sometimes turn it off for a few hours and back on at night.

What I don't understand is I still see Thais wearing coats while on mopeds.

Yesterday I saw a girl dressed up like she was going into the Arctic- which begs the question, are they trying to keep the heat out? It must be well over 50 degrees C in places on the road and quite painful to the skin.

IMG_20240424_163931615.thumb.jpg.99fae0ab0930b9238f9d024f19993793.jpg