Foreigner Assaults Phuket Tuk Tuk Driver Over Fare Disagreement

webfact

3 hours ago, Goat said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Easy when the request comes from a Phuket tuk-tuk driver, not from the police.

Colonel Khundet Na Nongkhai, Karon Police Chief, reported to the Phuket Express on Tuesday (April 30th) that Mr. Luke was apprehended at a hotel on Phi Phi Island by Koh Phi Phi and Karbi Tourist police.

The arrest was made following an arrest warrant issued by Phuket Kwaeng Court on charges of causing physical and mental harm to another individual.

The accused was moved to the Karon Police Station in Phuket. Colonel Khundet disclosed that Mr. Luke had neither made a statement nor entered a plea by press time, and declined to speak to the media.

What's all that got to do with my response to someone wrongly posting, originally, that he declined a police request for a meeting when it was the driver and his father who asked him to attend the police meeting?  Your quote above relates to when he was arrested following the warrant being issued after he'd done a runner from his hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, save the frogs said:

...a baht bus driver makes a pittance?

Is it still a scam?

This is tuk tuk, not a baht bus according to the article. 

Here's a question: if these drivers are so poor and don't make much money, why do so many of them have massive stereo system, fancy lighting, and all sorts of other 'luxury' additions to their rides? Shouldn't their pittance to towards something like feeding their families and saving for the future?  Inquiring minds want to know. 😉

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where was it shown that the driver accepted B100 as the fare?

The claim is in the article.

There is no claim that the driver "accepted the B100" (i.e. agreed that B100 was ok) in payment for the fare, just that the passenger gave that to him.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Goat said:

Why do think this is the case and where does this discrimination stem from?

"Why do we do it?

Like a lot of aspects of human behavior, projection comes down to self-defense. Koenig notes that projecting something you don’t like about yourself onto someone else protects you from having to acknowledge parts of yourself you don’t like.

She adds that humans tend to feel more comfortable seeing negative qualities in others rather than in themselves.

"Who does it?

“Projection does what all defense mechanisms are meant to do: keep discomfort about ourselves at bay and outside our awareness,” explains Koenig. She says the people who are most prone to projecting are those who don’t know themselves very well, even if they think they do.

People who “feel inferior and have low self-esteem” can also fall into the habit of projecting their own feelings of not being good enough onto others, adds psychologist Michael Brustein, PsyD. He points to racism and homophobia as examples of this type of projection on a broader scale.

On the other hand, people who can accept their failures and weaknesses — and who are comfortable reflecting on the good, bad, and ugly within — tend not to project. “They have no need, as they can tolerate recognizing or experiencing the negatives about themselves,” Koenig adds."

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It looked as though he was wanting the full agreed amount to be paid.

You're seriously saying that the video begins with the driver waiting to be paid? 

No, that is not what I posted.

• Confused 1

Where was it shown that the driver accepted B100 as the fare? It looked as though he was wanting the full agreed amount to be paid. 

In the few seconds of video that was shown, the driver (with the passengers hands around his throat and being slapped) didn't have much a chance to show it.

It says he paid it.  Who do you think he paid it to?  Was there someone else there?  🤔

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, that is not what I posted.

It is.  Clearly:

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It looked as though he was wanting the full agreed amount to be paid.

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Basically", no, I am not.

Well, the things you're claiming aren't true.

How would you rather we describe it?  Untruths?  Factual errors?  Whoopsies?  Good ol' Liverpool Lou troll-abouts?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rwill said:

The last sentence did not report the father as saying that his son had done anything of the sort in the past. 

OK, the next to last sentence.  Or last paragraph.

Nothing in the entire article states that his son (the driver) "had done anything like this in the past"...unless you can quote it from the OP.

11 hours ago, save the frogs said:

It depends how you define scam.

It's 100 baht, not 10 000 baht.

Is it fair that you were born in a western country where you can afford to fly to thailand 3 times a year and a baht bus driver makes a pittance?

Is it still a scam?

Scam or theft. Pick one...

Neither has any merit whatsoever....

15 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Where was it shown that the driver accepted B100 as the fare? It looked as though he was wanting the full agreed amount to be paid. 

In the few seconds of video that was shown, the driver (with the passengers hands around his throat and being slapped) didn't have much a chance to show it.

It says he paid it. 

Yes, it says that he paid it (to the driver, obviously), it does not say that the driver accepted B100 as enough for the, apparently agreed, fare of B400.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Go back and read your post, it's daft, you think that folk like me are like some bloke who's come here for a cheap leg-over holiday..................🤔

I suppose your lot never do anything wrong, try thinking before you post....:coffee1:

No, it´s not! The Brits are making a reputation, and it´s not good. Better up! You should think before you execute lame excuses, as only a bloke here for some cheap leg-over holiday. What about the fat bloke that started to fight with the police? Was that also just a misguided tourist looking for sex and short time hotels? You know, just for you, I have included a few of the sh11ty behavior from Brits in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, transam said:

I wonder what "Brit" find you will post on tomorrow............🤭

Yeah, you know, it´s so easy as it pops up in the news very frequently. We don´t even have to search for it.

Brit rampage and bad behavior (Just skimming the top of the mountain)

So, now you can feel free to defend your fellow country blokes. 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So.. you have to 'find a solution' to the problem of Thai's behaving in a less than honest manner at a point of sale...  

A few years ago, I was visiting Hong-Kong with my family and decided to take the bus to drive us to a place I wanted to visit.
The bus fare was about 30 HKD and I inserted a 50 HKD bill.
I got the tickets, but no money in return.
Asked the bus driver where my change was and he pointed at a board above the ticketing machine which said: "This machine does not return money, use exact cash money."

From that day on, I carried always some cash to pay.

I learn from my mistakes.
Paying with a 1000 baht note where a 500 baht note would suffice was my mistake.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not! The Brits are making a reputation, and it´s not good. Better up! You should think before you execute lame excuses, as only a bloke here for some cheap leg-over holiday. What about the fat bloke that started to fight with the police? Was that also just a misguided tourist looking for sex and short time hotels? You know, just for you, I have included a few of the sh11ty behavior from Brits in Thailand.

Yeah, you know, it´s so easy as it pops up in the news very frequently. We don´t even have to search for it.

Brit rampage and bad behavior (Just skimming the top of the mountain)

So, now you can feel free to defend your fellow country blokes. 😂😂😂

What a waste of time...........😂

And you still haven't told me where your county comes in the rascal picture.........🤣

But, never mind, I didn't get that photo either, from you, now did I......:whistling:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

What a waste of time...........😂

And you still haven't told me where your county comes in the rascal picture.........🤣

But, never mind, I didn't get that photo either, from you, now did I......:whistling:

Waste of time? You still don´t get how easy and quick it was to find that, right?
What photo? 

• Haha 2

Just now, Gottfrid said:

Waste of time? You still don´t get how easy and quick it was to find that, right?
What photo? 

Stand down, Gottfrid, you will get too confused...............🤔

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Don't forget that this behavior of foreigners, tourists or residents, are casting a shadow on the foreigners who are living in Thailand and maybe have a family.
This "chase on the bad foreigners" looks like a plan to make their stay in Thailand more difficult in the future by changes in the visa laws.
Seems like Thaksin is back on the track.

That could be. In general I find the government here to be quite xenophobic. But, not the people. Just the fools who run the place. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You say "A similar event", but go on to describe an event that is not similar... 🤔

Similar in the sense that it's about money disputes for services between Farangs and locals.........

Another racist arrest from yours  truly racist criminal Thai police. It is obvious that it should have been the discriminating racist scamming Thai Tuk Tuk driver that should have been arrested. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

Another racist arrest from yours  truly racist criminal Thai police. It is obvious that it should have been the discriminating racist scamming Thai Tuk Tuk driver that should have been arrested. 

Could be....................🤗

30 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Similar in the sense that it's about money disputes for services between Farangs and locals.........

But one sees foreigners stealing from Thais, while the more recent one appears to be a foreigner complaining of a Thai stealing from him (albeit with his fists).  The two don't seem similar, unless you are trying to make out that the recent case is also one of a foreigner stealing from Thais for some reason?