Buying a new TV --- is it now essential to have Wi-Fi?

Hi folks,

The TV in my rented condo has died and my landlady is telling me that she is having difficulty sourcing a new one which doesn't require Wi-Fi.

Her son came round last week with another TV which, unfortunately was too big. Had it fitted the location, he was suggesting that we try to connect to my Wi-Fi just to "set it up."

The only Wi-Fi which I have is via AIS on my phone. I pay THB 2,500 pa and use it as a hotspot with which to operate my laptop. It is more than adequate for my laptop's requirements but, the son explained that if I used it as a vehicle with which to watch TV programmes, my phone data (not sure if that's the correct word) would run out very quickly.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

David. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Previously what did you watch on the old TV?

the TV that has wifi or internet connection usually don't require it to watch broadcast over the air like off an aerial or cable box

Quite a few channels --- English and Thai, but not subscription channels like Netflix etc. They are broadcast via a normal co-axial aerial socket in the wall.

Also -- forgot to mention --- included in my monthly utility bill is THB 300 for cable TV. Is that what I was getting via the ariel, or am I paying for a service which I do not use?

Edited by 5davidhen1
Incorrect spelling.

300 baht sounds like local cable, are you in Pattaya or someplace like that with Local Cable company? they re-broadcast digital terrestrial as well as some international channels over the cable in both digital and maybe still analog, as long as the new TV has aerial input you'll be okay, most new TV should still have them and able to tune into the cable's channel, wifi and internet are optional and you don't have to use it

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

You can always watch using your lap top connected to the TV by an HDMI cable ( I have a 5 meter one). having said that new Smart TVs with wi-fi normally also have a socket in them that you can plug in your co-axil cable. 

Here is another link for a load of free stuff and some are Netflix.    ' lookmovie2 '  that is why my TV has the HDMI cable plugged in.        👇🏻

IMG_20240502_111244.thumb.jpg.7dff1a17e7b7313a832aab54afe8637f.jpg

Edited by brianthainess

18 minutes ago, digbeth said:

300 baht sounds like local cable, are you in Pattaya or someplace like that with Local Cable company? they re-broadcast digital terrestrial as well as some international channels over the cable in both digital and maybe still analog, as long as the new TV has aerial input you'll be okay, most new TV should still have them and able to tune into the cable's channel, wifi and internet are optional and you don't have to use it

Jomtien, Digbeth --- and thanks.

Posted (edited)

NT Pattaya (ntplc.co.th) direct fibre to the room 300/300 speed for 310 a month.(Right next to service station corner of Pattaya tai & 3rd road)

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 11.16.46 AM.png

Edited by lexxy

TVs are smart because they havest the data - which is then sold.

This may sound a bit tin foil hat but they have ACR (automated content recognition) which monitors your viewing habits - if your TV has voice commands, it may have microphones that monitor your room.

This is why you can't find a dumb TV.

My Samsung doesnt have to be connected to the internet to function, I didnt have the internet for a week or so when moving in to my current rental. It worked. Currently, its ethernet wired because I want to use "wake on LAN" function, but if I wanted I could quite easily put it on a separate VLAN and isolate it from the outside world.

• Agree 2

Smart TVs are dumb, that's what I've found, just good marketing.

WiFi isn't essential but it enables you to connect YouTube etc from TV.

Maybe you have enough monthly data allowance to work as a hotspot for the tv, that's what i did until recently, i also had a box

I have a 4 year old Sony TV which I have received 4/5 OTA updates for updating OS and fixing bugs that they have found I set the TV to receive these updates automatically these updates are not large in size

Without any form on internet connection you would have to search the brand website and download to usb stick and install from usb stick 

Simply put, you dont need to have WiFi to run a smart TV. The TV simply wont be able to access the internet services. It will still connect to the antenna, and or satellite Box. 

The TV wont ask to connect to the internet if you just want to use free to air viewing.

Many thanks to all the respondents. 

brianthainess, I don't believe that my landlady doesn't want to replace the TV, I think it's just that she doesn't fully understand current technology, as indeed, neither do I, hence my appeal on this forum.

As a 73yr old fart, I do try to keep up with IT but, I think it is starting to outpace me. 555.

• Like 2

Non-smart tv's are really very cheap these days, just have a look on Lazada, you can get a 32 inch one for just over 1000 baht.

Search for digital tv, not smart tv, or android tv.  Should work fine with plugging into the wall for your cable tv.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 10:11 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

Hi folks,

The TV in my rented condo has died and my landlady is telling me that she is having difficulty sourcing a new one which doesn't require Wi-Fi.

Her son came round last week with another TV which, unfortunately was too big. Had it fitted the location, he was suggesting that we try to connect to my Wi-Fi just to "set it up."

The only Wi-Fi which I have is via AIS on my phone. I pay THB 2,500 pa and use it as a hotspot with which to operate my laptop. It is more than adequate for my laptop's requirements but, the son explained that if I used it as a vehicle with which to watch TV programmes, my phone data (not sure if that's the correct word) would run out very quickly.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

David. 

Quote: " ...the son explained that if I used it as a vehicle with which to watch TV programmes, my phone data (not sure if that's the correct word) would run out very quickly."  unquote.

Question based upon quote:  Is the son's statement correct, ie the wifi allowannce would run out very quickly?

53 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Quote: " ...the son explained that if I used it as a vehicle with which to watch TV programmes, my phone data (not sure if that's the correct word) would run out very quickly."  unquote.

Question based upon quote:  Is the son's statement correct, ie the wifi allowance would run out very quickly?

Depends how much Internet-based TV you watch and how large your data allowance is. 

If you only need the internet to set up the TV in the first place (you may or may not need that, depending on the TV) then you only watch cable TV after that, your data allowance would almost certainly be more than enough.

If you plan to watch lots of internet-based streaming content every month (Netflix, YouTube etc) then possibly your data allowance might not cover it - again, depends on what your allowance is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneZero said:

Question based upon quote:  Is the son's statement correct, ie the wifi allowannce would run out very quickly?

Yes. Unless you have an unlimited data plan.

Yes.

WiFi was essential 10 years ago.

If you get a router make sure it's compatible with WiFi 6.  

"WiFi 6 increases the number of streams to a new high of 12 across the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, whereas WiFi 5 has a limit of 8 in a dual band configuration."

https://www.netgear.com/hub/wifi/routers/5-reasons-you-should-consider-upgrading-to-a-wifi-6-router/#:~:text=WiFi 6 increases the number,communicate with your WiFi router.

We have a 'smart' TV, only because hard to find one that wasn't.  We have yet to use the direct to TV's wifi or cable, since we don't subscribe to any channels or cable services.

Simply use the laptop via hdmi, and the TV is my monitor & vid viewer of torrents.  Using the laptops wifi.  Since basically no other way to access media, you will need some sort of wifi, or subscription service.

I need a keyboard & mouse, hence via the laptop, and not going to try to negotiate the menus on TV with remote.  Too frustrating.  Same with phone actually, and rarely use for anything other the GPS/mapping while O&A or as knock around camera.

Assuming everyone has wifi at the house, or on phone, and can 'hotspot' that if needed, though could get expensive it the phone is all you have.  Wifi is a must at the house, and too inexpensive not to have.

Fast internet, cable/wifi at house is only 631 baht a month via TOT, unlimited.   Possibly other vendors & promotions cheaper, if not needing fast, unlimited.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Depends how much Internet-based TV you watch and how large your data allowance is. 

If you only need the internet to set up the TV in the first place (you may or may not need that, depending on the TV) then you only watch cable TV after that, your data allowance would almost certainly be more than enough.

If you plan to watch lots of internet-based streaming content every month (Netflix, YouTube etc) then possibly your data allowance might not cover it - again, depends on what your allowance is.

Thanks for all comments & I apologize for my ignorance (I'm learning 🙂 ) & for appearing to hijack this thread.  I have a router (password enabled) & a limited sim (DTAC 12mo I think 1GB/mo cost 2,500 Baht) I carry on my frequent travel back & forth between 4 cities in Thailand. Edit: I don't want internet on phone & use hotspot because I prefer using pc at two locations (thus require ethernet cable from router) and laptops prepositioned at the other two locations.   I enjoy some streaming but can limit that in future to conserve data allowance. If someone can further educate me I thank you in advance for my following questions about data allowance conservation:

1.Is the router draining allowance simply by being turned on without using the internet (ie, should I constantly switch the router on/off when I'm not on the internet)?

2.Any idea how much data allowance is consumed per hour of streaming (ie, how many hrs or minutes per month could I safely watch without draining it all)?

Edited by OneZero

Answered my own question: 

"

How many GB is a 1 hour stream?

Standard definition uses up to 0.3 GB per hour. High definition (720p) uses up to 1 GB per hour. Full HD (1080p) uses up to 3 GB per hour. UHD (4K) uses up to 7 GB per ho

On 5/3/2024 at 10:39 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

Many thanks to all the respondents. 

brianthainess, I don't believe that my landlady doesn't want to replace the TV, I think it's just that she doesn't fully understand current technology, as indeed, neither do I, hence my appeal on this forum.

As a 73yr old fart, I do try to keep up with IT but, I think it is starting to outpace me. 555.

When you reach 80 then you are 'entitled' to claim the age factor!

Thanks to all.

My landlady has now sent an LG TV round which, I think she retrieved from another of her condos. 

Smart, or dumb, I don't know but I'm getting 59 channels on it and it didn't need my hotspot. It just needed to be plugged into the mains elec' and the co-axial aerial socket.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 5davidhen1 said:

Thanks to all.

My landlady has now sent an LG TV round which, I think she retrieved from another of her condos. 

Smart, or dumb, I don't know but I'm getting 59 channels on it and it didn't need my hotspot. It just needed to be plugged into the mains elec' and the co-axial aerial socket.

That's because you aren't using the internet and smart tv part