Can I apply for a Thai ID card if I’m holding an Ed visa?

I've been searching for information on obtaining a Thai ID card, but it appears to be quite challenging. I've heard that having an Ed visa should make it easier, but I could use some valuable guidance on the process. Can anyone provide assistance on how to obtain one as a foreigner?

Cheers and have a great day!

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, driveout said:

I've been searching for information on obtaining a Thai ID card, but it appears to be quite challenging

Think you mean Pink Card.

How will it assist you

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yellow book first, then pink ID card. Best to go to your local Amphur and ask as some find it 'To Hard' take a Thai speaking National, to fully understand.

Mine was easy no translation of passport, I think 2 witnesses one of which must be able to speak Thai. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

only PinkID

The so-called "Pink ID" is useless. It is probably useful for foreign criminals who don't want to show their expired passport if stopped on the street by Immigration Police. but in most cases they will ask for your passport anyway!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

The benefits of the pink ID are overrated. I have one (I got it for fun) but hardly ever get a chance to use it.

What do you want to use it for?

24 minutes ago, CecilM said:

The benefits of the pink ID are overrated. I have one (I got it for fun) but hardly ever get a chance to use it.

What do you want to use it for?

One thing, that is always a hot potato topic here, it´s good for. You get the same rate as Thais visiting Zoo´s, National parks and other attractions. HURRAY! No more double pricing! What do you say about that guys? Now your wallets will be full of money. 😂

In other words, YES! it´s useless. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I guess it depends on why you need one. I have one and use it regularly instead of having to produce either my passport or driver's license as ID. I also only pay Thai prices at National Parks etc or get free entry for being over the age of 60 once they see the card.  I also only have to pay Thai rates for golf upon production of my pink ID card. On one occasion I had to visit the hospital and they were about to hit me with the foreigner prices but when I produced the pink ID card I only got charged the same rate as Thais. So those that say it is useless  can continue to undervalue the card, but I find it to be quite beneficial.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 2 main problems with obtaining a Pink ID card is to my mind, either ignorance of the process or 'We don't do that here'. Basically laziness and couldn't give a toss. I would guarantee no 2 Amphur's are the same when in comes to information foreigners require. 

The 2008 amendment to the Civil Registration Act requires heads of registration at district offices to register everyone that resides in their district.  There is no definition of residence in this context but for foreigners it is generally regards as everyone on more than tourist visa who has been there longer than 6 months or so.  The definition registration is put them in a tabian baan and issue a pink ID card.  But there is no consistency in the application of this amendment and no downside for district officers who decline to comply with it.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:42 AM, oldcpu said:

BUT to re-iterate what others have noted - its a lot of effort to get the 'pink-ID' where the utility can in the most part be questioned.  However it is NOT useless all the time. Sometimes, this being Thailand, one can be surprised

There was another unexpected use for the Pink ID, namely at the start of the government sponsored Covid vaccination programme.As I recall there were a few weeks when foreigners needed a Pink Id to get on it.