Self insured - what amount?

How sick is a piece of string?   (I paraphrased)

My bypass cost the company insurance 2 million baht at Bumrungrad, with another million baht for follow up and meds over the next 2 or 3 years.  I probably could have gotten it for a tiny fraction of that in a gub'ment hospital. So YMMV.

On the plus side, in the US, that 3 million baht probably wouldn't have even covered the 20% deductible.  About the time I was recovering, I read about a US patient that was charged $900,000 for the same surgery.  Ouch.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

My 2 sons are under strict instruction to let nature take its course. Passing away is natural, it happens to everyone. I've made it to old age and am happy with my life both past and present. My sons will be well taken care of and will be secure throughout their life. Why waste money trying to change nature when the end result is the same either way, and the chances are the company will wriggle its way out of it and the money you spent might as well have been flushed down the toilet. 

Some will develop dementia, Parkinson's etc, then it's a slow torturous death over many years

• Sad 2

My hospital bils for 2023 totaled just over 6 million, I initially fronted the hospital as I felt badly dehydrated.

I do not have a lazy 6mill, glad I ad cover.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There is no set amount. The cost could be anything depending on what happens to you. Maybe consider another country like Mexico or Equador that admits you into the national healthcare system.

You can find what you are looking for in Thailand in other countries if you look hard enough.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

It is part of why I left the States. 

24/7 bombardment of meds, health insurance and how to sue people everywhere you look everywhere you go.  

If you don't take meds you will die!

You will lose everything if you step outside your house without health insurance!

Somebody looked at you? You can sue them! Contact a lawyer now! 

My younger brother is on about 17 different meds a day that I doubt he even needs. 

Edited by JeffersLos
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Self insurers are members of a liars club from my experience. They will tell you they have enough, but in reality very little available for care.  If they have 3 million baht why not get a policy with higher deductibles with premiums  a fraction of 3 mil. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have allocated $0.00 to the jackals of  black magic and their unfounded theories.

My Grandfather summed it up as follows "Doctors only make money if they find a problem and it scares you enough to pay for the cure."

A daily prayer is much more valuable to good health.  I simply ask for health and vitality.  Then follow the reply.  You might even find the Holy Grail of health if you have an open mind.

Congratulations on your upcoming move to Thailand. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2024 at 8:53 PM, AreYouGerman said:

First line of defense against health issues should be 1 hour cardio daily and no gluttony and no alcohol.

And sex only with a condom. 

What a life !

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

And sex only with a condom. 

What a life !

Now we know the reason for your 'over 300 insurance claims'. Blood no good. 😅

Well, thankfully I am not paying for that with my premiums!

On 5/3/2024 at 4:30 PM, Ben Zioner said:

After over 300 claims

• Confused 3

On 5/3/2024 at 8:25 PM, JontS said:

Planning a move to Thailand, most likely next year and it looks like health insurance is a complete waste of money, as almost every claim will be denied due to pre-existing condition, even if there is none. 

For those of you that self insure, what amount have you put aside?

Thanks, Jon

I was always of the same opinion about insurance being waste of money. While on holiday in Austria last year I ended up in hospital with low sodium level post food poisoning. 2 nights in a single room, 3 lots of drips & bill came to 8000€. No other treatment.

All was paid by insurer. No argument. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Letseng said:

I was always of the same opinion about insurance being waste of money. While on holiday in Austria last year I ended up in hospital with low sodium level post food poisoning. 2 nights in a single room, 3 lots of drips & bill came to 8000€. No other treatment.

All was paid by insurer. No argument. 

What does Austria have to do with Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:42 PM, Gottfrid said:
On 5/3/2024 at 10:13 PM, Ben Zioner said:

33 years of family coverage, with OPD.

Yes, like over 1 claim every 2 month. Sure dude!

33 years is 396 month, so it's less than one claim per month.   

He said it's for his entire family, you have no idea how many people that is and little kids often need checkups multiple times a month when babies. 

Either way, I'm glad you're not my accountant!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2024 at 8:25 PM, JontS said:

Planning a move to Thailand, most likely next year and it looks like health insurance is a complete waste of money, as almost every claim will be denied due to pre-existing condition, even if there is none. 

For those of you that self insure, what amount have you put aside?

Thanks, Jon

When trying to figure the percentages, figure in not being able to get on the plane to return to the home country for any national healthcare availability (I don't know your home country). I have pre-existing heart issue (everything is fine now). In 2005 heart attack in Chiang Mai (build up scar tissue from earlier by-passes). So, no way to get on a plane and go to USA for any Medicare coverage. Here, total bill was 411,000 baht, Chiang Mai RAM. Ouch! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2024 at 8:38 PM, bkk6060 said:

Self insurers are members of a liars club from my experience. They will tell you they have enough, but in reality very little available for care.  If they have 3 million baht why not get a policy with higher deductibles with premiums  a fraction of 3 mil. 

I am with you on that.

I have been with my current insurer, Pacific Cross, quite a while now and get maximum no claims discount.

My cover gives 10,000 baht a day room and board. I am covered for 10,000,000 baht for total treatment of a condition and 400,000 baht for personal accident.

I am 62, have a deductible of 40,000 baht, because small OPD ailments I will pay as I go.

Likewise, I have had cancer of the larynx, but survived after major surgery many years ago, (18 years) this is not covered. Not only that, but I was told by my surgeon that no way was that specific cancer coming back. It hasn't, courtesy of Bumrungrad.

My annual fee last year was 47,000 baht.

My health insurance is in case of worst case scenarios, and I didn't want lumbering with a 4 or 5 million baht medical bills.

I don't smoke, drink little, am slightly overweight, but I am exercising.

Likewise, I also have the good grade annual check-ups.

That's actually a lot more than I would be doing to look after myself in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

22 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I am with you on that.

I have been with my current insurer, Pacific Cross, quite a while now and get maximum no claims discount.

My cover gives 10,000 baht a day room and board. I am covered for 10,000,000 baht for total treatment of a condition and 400,000 baht for personal accident.

I am 62, have a deductible of 40,000 baht, because small OPD ailments I will pay as I go.

Likewise, I have had cancer of the larynx, but survived after major surgery many years ago, (18 years) this is not covered. Not only that, but I was told by my surgeon that no way was that specific cancer coming back. It hasn't, courtesy of Bumrungrad.

My annual fee last year was 47,000 baht.

My health insurance is in case of worst case scenarios, and I didn't want lumbering with a 4 or 5 million baht medical bills.

I don't smoke, drink little, am slightly overweight, but I am exercising.

Likewise, I also have the good grade annual check-ups.

That's actually a lot more than I would be doing to look after myself in the UK.

Brilliant cover! Wish I could get anything like that. I guess it's the length of time you've been with Pacific Cross, your no claims discount and maybe health cover previously? The best quote I could get was a premium of 315,000 baht with exclusions for anything blood pressure or diabetes related. I haven't received any treatment for raised BP since 1986 and have never been diagnosed with diabetes (once collapsed due to low blood glucose).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:34 PM, QuantumQuandry said:

Potentially any hospital visit he has ever had and did not disclose.  Also, one may have a pre-existing condition and not be aware of it.

Not saying every insurance company will be that strict.  But the potential is there.

So sounds like it's highly dangerous for anybody to take / pay for any form of health insurance.

Just now, scorecard said:

So sounds like it's highly dangerous for anybody to take / pay for any form of health insurance.

Not at all.  It's just not the guaranteed safety net some people make it out to be.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

[quote]

If it costs £300 to £500 per annum it is still very good and cheap for £10,000,000,

[/quote]

Cheap?  Please be realistic!  A healthy person aged say 50 years old would probably have to pay an annual premium of about $2,000 for perhaps $3 million cover.  An 'unhealthy person' would either have all his/her pre-existing conditions excluded or would have to pay a hefty extra premium.

Please show the company that will insure an expat for 10 million quid at 300 quid a year.

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

If no family here to guarantee payment & you are in a coma waiting to have life saving surgery how does the hospital even know that you have monay in the bank ?

Better to have a minimal policy (say 80K premium per annum) & then can sort out the rest later.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Rip off, that's why insurance is so expensive 

And there's other angles.  My Thai son had high level comprehensive cover with BUPA (now owned by another insurer).  Son got hurt playing football, got taken to a Thai gov't hospital. 

In prep. for discharge after several days stay and some surgery he asked for a med report to give to his health insurance company along with his claim.

Then the jackals descended:

- Have to give a sizeable tip to each of the nursing team for them to then ask the nursing senior about the med. report.

- Was also told the nursing snr would require an even bigger tip before she approached the doctors involved for med. reports.

- Was also told the 3 doctors involved would want to receive 10,000Baht each in advance plus a signed promise then would ultimately receive, in total about 60% of the refund from the health insurance company.

In the meantime the hospital accounting dept had given him a bill nearly 200,000Baht.

Son was quite intimidated and asked me what to do. I called the health insurance company, explained all of the above and asked for their advice.

Response from health company: you have to decide and there's nothing we can do to help.

Son then advised the hospital staff he had made a mistake, his policy had lapsed because family had not paid the most recent renewal, and he therefore had no insurance cover, and it was too late to renew.

And he told them 'I don't want any med. reports'. 

Hospital staff then expressed anger and let him know, along with several nasty comments about farang (he is a Thai citizen but his family name is a typical farang name).

Edited by scorecard
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

If it costs £300 to £500 per annum it is still very good and cheap for £10,000,000,

[/quote]

Cheap?  Please be realistic!  A healthy person aged say 50 years old would probably have to pay an annual premium of about $2,000 for perhaps $3 million cover.  An 'unhealthy person' would either have all his/her pre-existing conditions excluded or would have to pay a hefty extra premium.

Please show the company that will insure an expat for 10 million quid at 300 quid a year.

Me as well, I'll take it.

I'm up for renewal in July....😆

• Haha 1