Air Pollution Skyrockets in Chiang Mai

Chiang-Mais-tourism-industry-may-be-hurt-due-to-air-pollution.jpg

Chiang Mai and multiple northern provinces in Thailand are contending with alarmingly high air pollution levels. According to the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA), 11 provinces experienced dangerously high red-coded PM2.5 levels. 

Pollution figures ranged from 82.1 to 158.8 microgrammes per cubic metre in 24 hours, significantly higher than the safe limit of 37.5 µg/m3.

Among the northern provinces, Chiang Rai reported the worst PM2.5 level at 158.8, with Chiang Mai close behind at 141.9. 

Further, unhealthy orange-coded PM2.5 levels were found in 46 other provinces, primarily in the Central Plains and northeast, with readings from 38.2 to 67.6 µg/m3.

Meanwhile, east and south provinces reported good to moderate air quality, with the best air in Phuket and Phangnga at 15.3µg/m³ and 15.7µg/m³ respectively.

Swiss tech company IQAir, which specializes in air quality, confirmed the severity of the issue by ranking Chiang Mai the world's fourth most polluted city, trailing Delhi, Lahore, and Kathmandu. This report underscores the urgent need for actions to curb escalating air pollution levels.

File photo courtesy of Thaiger

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-07

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7
  • Haha 1

Rain in the Hang Dong area last night , despite that AQI if 159 this morning UNHEALTHY 

Everyone may begin to experience health effects; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid prolonged outdoor exertion; everyone else, especially children, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Farmers don't have to own a tractor for what is seasonal work. Where I am, in Kalasin Province, there are those who have tractors for hire on a day-by-day basis. Same as machines for threshing the rice. When someone needs a tractor, they make a call.

Yes, totally agree. Same here in south Surin. Works well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

This report underscores the urgent need for actions to curb escalating air pollution levels.

I don't think they do ' URGENT ' here in mai pen rai land. Sometime , later , never is the modus operandi. That or quick fix until the problem goes away by itself.

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

why should the government in Bangkok care about the Lana people.  been this way for centuries. 

I monitor the pollution here in my district of Bangkok and the only time it actually within the "safe" limit of 37.8 - is when I walk my dogs between 3-6 AM.  Once traffic really begins, the level increases too and there have been less than 10 days in the past 6 months that the level remained in the safe limit.  I also walk during every evening (wearing a quality N95 mask and I notice many others exercising too but very few are wearing a mask.  Some have even aked me why I am  wearing a mask, easy enough to explain to them and their responses if any are "but we are out in the fresh air so why are you still wearing a mask?"  With responses like this, I realize a lot of these folks will suffer various illnesses later.  Today the AM walk with dogs my meter read 50 2.5 microns, then the rains started.  I will measure the air later today to see the effects of the rains (quite heavy at times).  to all - be safe, be healthy, be happy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang-Mais-tourism-industry-may-be-hurt-due-to-air-pollution.jpg

Chiang Mai and multiple northern provinces in Thailand are contending with alarmingly high air pollution levels. According to the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA), 11 provinces experienced dangerously high red-coded PM2.5 levels. 

Pollution figures ranged from 82.1 to 158.8 microgrammes per cubic metre in 24 hours, significantly higher than the safe limit of 37.5 µg/m3.

Among the northern provinces, Chiang Rai reported the worst PM2.5 level at 158.8, with Chiang Mai close behind at 141.9. 

Further, unhealthy orange-coded PM2.5 levels were found in 46 other provinces, primarily in the Central Plains and northeast, with readings from 38.2 to 67.6 µg/m3.

Meanwhile, east and south provinces reported good to moderate air quality, with the best air in Phuket and Phangnga at 15.3µg/m³ and 15.7µg/m³ respectively.

Swiss tech company IQAir, which specializes in air quality, confirmed the severity of the issue by ranking Chiang Mai the world's fourth most polluted city, trailing Delhi, Lahore, and Kathmandu. This report underscores the urgent need for actions to curb escalating air pollution levels.

File photo courtesy of Thaiger

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-07

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Probably the govt will present very effective plans to solve that little problem. I'm very sure🙏

• Sad 1