You have to have a motorbike

georgegeorgia

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yet millions ride a bike every die and do not have accidents.

I think that you have a problem.

It's a lottery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I seriously cannot believe what people think they know. In a Country that uses the emergency lane as the motorbike lane no less. Hey have at it all you want. Nobody is gonna stop you, that’s for sure. Just looks at the stats if you really wanna know, it’s something like 75% of all road deaths are on motorbikes. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Agreed, and add to that those who drive a motorbike who have had "just a few beers".

For starters. How about teenagers on bikes, unlicensed, uninsured. No training, no education. Just get on and now your life is in their hands. 

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

For starters. How about teenagers on bikes, unlicensed, uninsured. No training, no education. Just get on and now your life is in their hands. 

A possible answer to that situation is seizing the bike and legally crushing and recycling it.

4 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I seriously cannot believe what people think they know. In a Country that uses the emergency lane as the motorbike lane no less. Hey have at it all you want. Nobody is gonna stop you, that’s for sure. Just looks at the stats if you really wanna know, it’s something like 75% of all road deaths are on motorbikes. 

Yes, lets look at the stats.

Approx 20,000 road deaths per year So about 15,000 per year are bike related.

There is 22 million registered motorbikes in Thailand.

So 0.0008% of the peeps riding those 22 million registered motorbike will die.

According to statistics !

• Thumbs Up 1

Up here in north Laos, it's very safe to ride a motorcycle because the roads are so bad that it is impossible to drive fast! Young school kids ride the e-bikes and I have never seen an accident (of course, they must happen and probably to the teenage boys who want to show off).

I expect to fall off my motorcycle when I go riding in the hills because of the many potholes and bad camber on the muddy roads.  The important point is to wear a crash helmet and to ride a bike that is light enough to push back upright after the road has thrown you off!

BIKE1.thumb.jpg.76f68bb787d6b3a064db7c0276d4a590.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Up here in north Laos, it's very safe to ride a motorcycle because the roads are so bad that it is impossible to drive fast! Young school kids ride the e-bikes and I have never seen an accident (of course, they must happen and probably to the teenage boys who want to show off).

I expect to fall off my motorcycle when I go riding in the hills because of the many potholes and bad camber on the muddy roads.  The important point is to wear a crash helmet and to ride a bike that is light enough to push back upright after the road has thrown you off!

BIKE1.thumb.jpg.76f68bb787d6b3a064db7c0276d4a590.jpg

You back in Laos ???

I thought you left a few years ago because of a radio scanner ??

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You back in Laos ???

I thought you left a few years ago because of a radio scanner ??

I left after a few issues with the local police chief about my ham radio gear.  I'm back and living in the same house and it seems he has moved on to annoy other foreigners... 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries to drive in in the world. And most of the danger ie death is due to people being on motorbikes. 
there’s no way the stat is that low in the cities, where almost all foreigners will live. And you know it. But it’s a to each their own thing. Have at it as I say. One day when you wake up with a thai surgeon sewing you up let us know how it went

Thailand is probably one of the most dangerous countries to walk in as there are hardly any pedestrian pavements/sidewalks separating squishy pedestrians from the motorised traffic.   About one third of road accident victims in Bangkok are pedestrians.  

• Like 1

you guys would make good ambassadors to Thailand. You could show the arriving tourists your stats and assure them motorbikes are safe to drive in Thailand. I’m sure it would go well. 

because that’s what you’re saying: “it’s safe to drive a motorbike in Thailand”. You cant even make up the level of stupidity any longer

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

Thailand is probably one of the most dangerous countries to walk in as there are hardly any pedestrian pavements/sidewalks separating squishy pedestrians from the motorised traffic.   About one third of road accident victims in Bangkok are pedestrians.  

The topic at hand here is motorbikes and you seem to be admitting it’s one of the worst places to operate one. And you think you have a point? Or?..

• Agree 1

I’d be curious as to this poll. I guess I’d need to make a new thread:

“I think it’s safe to drive a motorbike in Thailand”

”I think masks and closing the thai borders was an appropriate response to covid”

”I think Biden is a good president”

I bet anything there is a direct correlation lol

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

I’d be curious as to this poll. I guess I’d need to make a new thread:

“I think it’s safe to drive a motorbike in Thailand”

”I think masks and closing the thai borders was an appropriate response to covid”

”I think Biden is a good president”

I bet anything there is a direct correlation lol

1. Yes, i think it is safe.

2. Masks and border closures did not affect me... so Meh.

3. Who is Biden ?

Nothing like living in fear ...  how are we all not dead already :cheesy:

I read a bunch or people die from accidents in their home ...

... can't find anything TH specific, but, if all things being equal, all countries, it's not safe to be home either:

TH population about 1/5 of the USA, so 20% of 200k = 40k 😲

image.png.26ad554cc2dd39ceb3ab9354166bef7c.png

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

Just looks at the stats if you really wanna know, it’s something like 75% of all road deaths are on motorbikes. 

I see you know nothing about statistics. Maybe 75% of all road deaths in Thailand are on scooters. You don't say what percentage of miles driven are on scooters and what percentage is in cars. Your assessment is therefore useless.

• Agree 1

On 5/7/2024 at 6:14 AM, Screaming said:

It is insane to drive a motorbike in Thailand, a death wish.

If you cant drive motorbike, or dont trust yourselves, neither see the risk versus the gain, dont do it. 

Had my best time in Thailand on motorbikes, wouldn't change that for anything. Met quite few I regularly rode with (40 -50 people at least), and as far I know, none of those crashed yet, or been in serious accidents. We talking people with 100 of thousands of km experience on thai roads. 

However at least or more than 10 people I have met have died of alcholism or poor general health because of their lifestyle. We talking about people below 70 years. And several others, continue their slow suicide bored to death, living the "dream  in paradise" 

Anyway, motorbike is not for all, and if there was riders we saw as a risk, we never rode with them again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

1. Yes, i think it is safe.

2. Masks and border closures did not affect me... so Meh.

3. Who is Biden ?

as per #3,,Hes the Guy that saved us all from the Orange Terrorist, who sits in a criminal court with a stack of felonies...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

as per #3,,Hes the Guy that saved us all from the Orange Terrorist, who sits in a criminal court with a stack of felonies...

Sorry, still do not know what you are talking about.

Guess I should watch the news occasionally.

On 5/7/2024 at 9:50 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I wouldn't mind those three wheeler things but I don't see many 

They are out there, I am in Bangkok but they were selling electric bikes & trikes in HomePro when I visited last week.

Alternatively, you can do some browsing on Lazada/Shopee and then try to find a local shop with the ones you are interested in.

You can search for "electric bike 3 wheels" - they've got all sorts. 

image.png.132e4ccc15d5b81367f6c55e6716a27c.pngimage.png.a9875f099e9138edc8d59fb4002e4f5b.pngimage.png.56142f9a7c3b4d99a79d19380e95822c.pngimage.png.e75ff7980506006219dbf48546eef728.png

1 minute ago, Celsius said:

Only loser Farang drive motorbike in Thailand. Us more sophisticated expat drive cars.

awe diddums... you only drive a car.

any pathetic chump can do that.

• Haha 1

Cars are relatively cheap these days , can get an OK one for less than 100,000 then sell it on when you are done with it. Trick is to get the most popular and cheap to fix. A Toyota Vios or  Yaris will be very reliable and won't break the bank. I have a 21 year old Vios and it never ceases to amaze me how it just keeps going and going with few repairs and only routine maintenance.  When you buy at this level you don't even need to worry about depreciation. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Earlier, I suggested a pedal bicycle.  I had several in Bangkok that extended my self propelled range to 5-10 km for errands, and 20-30 km for recreation and exercise.  That would get around most of Pattaya. 

I also had an LA E-Bike for those days when I didn't feel like pedaling in the heat.  I loved it.  Great build quality and the battery lasted the 5 years I owned it before I moved out of Thailand.  And parts are easily available in their extensive dealer network, though I never needed any.  Also had a smaller 20" folding E-Bike, which was even easier to move around.  Not as zoomy or mobile as a scooter, but no DL needed...

http://www.labicyclegroup.com/product-TH/2

I used to pop mine in the pickup bed when I went out of town for the weekend.  Great for zipping around Jomtien and Kanchanaburi and leave the pickup parked at the hotels.  If you get a 20" folding E-Bike, you can even take it on the MRT (in theory- I never tried it). 

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

awe diddums... you only drive a car.

any pathetic chump can do that.

Yes. My wife's boss has a chauffeur.

I agree I should work harder