British Woman Dies in Phuket Hit-and-Run

webfact

Posted (edited)

She died of cardiac arrest while crossing the road.  The body has been cremated and the wrong person will now be put in jail for a crime they didn't commit.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Confused 5

33 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The English Embassy, if the have any decency, should take note of this and bring this to the INTERNATIONAL NEWS.
The English Embassy should escalate this case of malfaicance of the police to the (international) courts.
The English Embassy/Expat community should organize a visit to the Police and the Mair of Phuket and publish this case on al Social Media Channels.

Making this case known public all over the world would make the Police and governor being shamed.

I see here an opportunity for ASEANNOW to organize this march.

Gawd...     Why don't you organise it, what's it got to do with AN?

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Frankie baby said:

Surely the British Embassy should be involved, but then again, their probably too busy doing F---all.

Why should the embassy get involved in a traffic accident - do they usually?  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

She died of cardiac arrest while crossing the road.  The body has been cremated and the wrong person will now be put in jail for a crime they didn't commit.

You'll need to back up that with something credible.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, malibukid said:

they will not stop to render assistance.

To be fair, when my neice and myself were 'bowled over' by a moto with side cart the rider did slow and turn his head to look before then riding off!

6 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I always just assume that any crosswalk is just another place to line up pedestrians for a game of pedestrian pinball.

Also remember that many crosswalks are badly marked and when you are driving behind other traffic you do not see the "black and whites" of the crosswalks until you are almost on it.

If I see anyone waiting at a crosswalk, I will not stop unless a pedestrian steps on it first or makes it obvious they want to use it.

5 hours ago, stoner said:

hahahahahahahahahaahaha

What an ignorant post. Some poor lady has just been killed. This is no laughing matter. Have some respect.

If she wasn’t trying to cross the street, she would be alive today….the roads are for Thai drivers not for pedestrians and bicyclists 

do you really think Thai drivers are going to be retrained to share the road? Thai drivers own the roads… 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Slocum said:

Sad..this is wrong... Irresponsible attitude..showing no remorse. "Hit and Run" Tougher Law and penalty must be imposed..Criminals like this must be dealt with to the Max...I am fabergusted with this happening..

Welcome to Thailand.... 

6 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

What if the van was a police van????   Would cause a 'cover-up' for sure!!!

Strange ... one can only assume that the Van company pays regular bribes to the cops for protection ...?

Death of a pedestrian ( ? ) ( The powerful impact reportedly flung her 20 meters down the road,) , is not enough to be considered serious ?

They did not test for DUI on the Van driver ?

Did they do this on the cops who " handled " the case ?

7 hours ago, loong said:

What on earth does that mean?

Just a typo: else should read was. 

Pretty easy to work out but I should have proofread, and considering that I write and read contracts for a living I have given myself a slap on the wrist!

"Police in Phuket reported that the CCTV cameras at the site were not working, leaving the accident unrecorded. Several businesses nearby offered their CCTV footage, but the police declined. 

Moreover, a source close to Lucket mentioned that the van driver was not required to undertake an alcohol test post-accident."

I smell a rat! Or a brown envelope? Or "it's only a farang" or ....? Too many choices for my hot frazzled brain to take into account - think I'll just stick with the "rat" theory!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Also remember that many crosswalks are badly marked and when you are driving behind other traffic you do not see the "black and whites" of the crosswalks until you are almost on it.

If I see anyone waiting at a crosswalk, I will not stop unless a pedestrian steps on it first or makes it obvious they want to use it.

And then if you are like many - speed up to get through there before you have to stop for a pedestrian who has the audacity to get in your way and delay you - even for a second 🤣.... then "points += 5"

Edited by bkkcanuck8

British Woman Dies in Phuket Hit-and-Run. 

Rip Zoe,

Just shows /confirms that the cops and van drivers/companies are in cahoots and are the Mafia in Phuket.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My friend saw what may happen stopped his car,the bike rider continued and hit the car.the Thais come out said his fault etc etc.his thai wife translated.she said he had a dash cam records everything they saw and very quick to say sorry many times.they walked away after knowing this what if he did not have a camera in his car.the farang at fault u pay.the camera did his job.it saves alot of problems.this poor woman if thai a different story but she farang RIP  now

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

And then if you are like many - speed up to get through there before you have to stop for a pedestrian who has the audacity to get in your way and delay you - even for a second 🤣.... then "points += 5"

What a  load of BS. Go back and read my post again. Where did I say anything about anyone getting in my way? And I am not like many.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What a  load of BS. Go back and read my post again. Where did I say anything about anyone getting in my way? And I am not like many.

"And if you are like many" is not the same as "You are like many" - it is a turn of phrase meant to imply that while you may do one thing, many will not ('many' not 'you').  It does not matter if the if the crosswalk is well marked, or not well marked in Thailand... crosswalks have seemingly NO meaning to Thai drivers for the most part - I get the feeling that they don't even know that a crosswalk infers a 'right of way' for a pedestrian to cross.  It also indicates the driver should take caution when approaching the crosswalk to make sure they can act if someone starts crossing.   In fact, I would say it is more dangerous to paint them on the road for those that know the standard is a right of way - especially if they come from a country where it is enforced strictly - as it gives a tourist a feeling that crossing it is safe to do.  Try going to a crosswalk in Bangkok and stand at a crosswalk and point to indicate you are crossing... NO one will stop in most cases... effectively you are as safe doing that as jaywalking on a major roadway while the road is not clear. 

Edited by bkkcanuck8

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

18 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

So you're driving too close to other traffic and don't stop when required.

Like many.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, mania said:

Translation.....Silver Van driver called police first with an offer

Yes, or the driver was connected !!!

9 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I always just assume that any crosswalk is just another place to line up pedestrians for a game of pedestrian pinball.

My cousin calls crosswalks in Thailand 'Ambulance Pick Up Points' he is constantly amazed that no ambulance company has thought of permanently stationing vehicles next to them

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

"And if you are like many" is not the same as "You are like many" - it is a turn of phrase meant to imply that while you may do one thing, many will not ('many' not 'you').  It does not matter if the if the crosswalk is well marked, or not well marked in Thailand... crosswalks have seemingly NO meaning to Thai drivers for the most part - I get the feeling that they don't even know that a crosswalk infers a 'right of way' for a pedestrian to cross.  It also indicates the driver should take caution when approaching the crosswalk to make sure they can act if someone starts crossing.   In fact, I would say it is more dangerous to paint them on the road for those that know the standard is a right of way - especially if they come from a country where it is enforced strictly - as it gives a tourist a feeling that crossing it is safe to do.  Try going to a crosswalk in Bangkok and stand at a crosswalk and point to indicate you are crossing... NO one will stop in most cases... effectively you are as safe doing that as jaywalking on a major roadway while the road is not clear. 

In the UK there are zig zag lines approaching the crossing and flashing yellow lights at each end. You must not overtake on these zig zag lines, and pedestrians should put their foot on the line to let the vehicles know they want to cross.

IMO, there should not be any of these crossings, they should have lights instead which should always be working.

I do hope this is followed up and taken as high as possible. Hopeful that the poor lady has friends that will kick up a fuss. Would be good if the National papers got hold of the story and answers from the police on why they are ignoring this tragedy. 

5 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

Surely the British Embassy should be involved, but then again, their probably too busy doing F---all.

https://talk.thethaiger.com/topic/33364-news-forum-phuket-governor-and-british-ambassador-discuss-tourist-safety/

Thaiger

Administrators

Posted 2 hours ago

Sophon Suwannarat, the Governor of Phuket, hosted Mark Gooding, the British Ambassador to Thailand, in a meeting on May 7, focusing on the safety of tourists. The meeting, which took place at the Phuket Provincial Hall, aimed to foster relations between Phuket and the British Government. Governor Sophon emphasised the importance of ensuring the safety … …

The story Phuket governor and British ambassador discuss tourist safety as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

https://talk.thethaiger.com/topic/33364-news-forum-phuket-governor-and-british-ambassador-discuss-tourist-safety/

Thaiger

Administrators

Posted 2 hours ago

Sophon Suwannarat, the Governor of Phuket, hosted Mark Gooding, the British Ambassador to Thailand, in a meeting on May 7, focusing on the safety of tourists. The meeting, which took place at the Phuket Provincial Hall, aimed to foster relations between Phuket and the British Government. Governor Sophon emphasised the importance of ensuring the safety … …

The story Phuket governor and British ambassador discuss tourist safety as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It’s important to note that the meeting between Governor Sophon and Ambassador Gooding occurred two days after a British woman, Zoe Luckett, was hit and killed by a passenger van that ran a red light in Kamala, an incident which has caused outrage among locals due to the lack of action by the police.

From the full article.

• Like 1