Why get the bus to Bangkok?

georgegeorgia

10 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I really can't understand guts especially old guys heaving luggage up to the Jomtien bus station to save a few hundred baht 

I saw a elderly farang yesterday,with his Thai GF tryingbto.pull his luggage up the hill 

There two of them why not fork out that extra 800 baht for a sir conditioning car?

They are paying around 150 b each for the bus and a taxi is around 1200 

I thought I was a tight arse not going to bars to spend money but when it comes to time & comfort surely a car is quicker and more comfortable 

I don't understand either. I've taken the bus before a few times some years back. No more for me, private driver all the way. But, there's a certain mindset with some guys, like taking buses and public transportation is part of the charm. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Bus way too annoying.   Garlic and pizza breathe, loud talkers various languages, talking on phone, phone ding ding and that terrible "Line" notification mouse voice.

Plus, if you have one with a toilet it stinks so bad.  I have a car now it is great, but only taxi if I didn't. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

How much do you save by getting the bus?

Let's do a analysis 

We need a more scientific analysis if someone can do one 

Maybe a 3 page comprehensive report on bus to BKK vs Private car 

Time -double than a taxi maybe more 

Not to mention if your hotel (if your staying in BKK ) is another Tuk Tuk or grab  away then add that to time and cost 

Of course different for Airport 

Effort - getting to bus station at Jomtien walking in heat waiting around ,buying tickets

Getting to bus station baht bus to bus station etc  vs being picked up by a car directly in front of your room 

Time - private car say 90 minutes to BKK

Bus 3 hours??

Cost - 1200 b ? 

Vs 170b 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Cost - 1200 b ? 

Vs 170b 

Are you not going to factor in the price of getting from home to the bus station, and then from fhe bus station to your destination?

Seems like quite a poorly thought-out "analysis" if you ask me...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I really can't understand farangs  especially old guys heaving luggage up to the Jomtien bus station to save a few hundred baht 

I saw a elderly farang yesterday,with his Thai GF trying to pull his luggage up the hill sweating dodging traffic etc 

There two of them why not fork out that extra 800 baht for a Air conditioning car?

They are paying around 150 b each for the bus I believe  and a taxi is around 1200 

I thought I was a tight arse not going to bars to spend money but when it comes to time & comfort surely a car is quicker and more comfortable ?

Gees, think its more than 1200 by car to BKK, (300km round trip half a tank of fuel, know Thais work for little but not for nothing) last time we where dropped off at the bus station took a bus no sweating, grab would do the trick too, time before that I drove and left my car at the airport for 3 nights but I have a car....

Judging others by your values, we see it all the time...

2 minutes ago, Njoku said:

Gees, think its more than 1200 by car to BKK, (300km round trip half a tank of fuel, know Thais work for little but not for nothing) last time we where dropped off at the bus station took a bus no sweating, grab would do the trick too, time before that I drove and left my car at the airport for 3 nights but I have a car....

Judging others by your values, we see it all the time...

1200 thb is about right. I pay 1800 from Ban Chang to BKK. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I just got quoted Pattaya to Lumpini park 1400 baht includes the tolls private car service

Too much I shouted down the phone 

1380 I said ! 

Do they expect a tip too ???

I mean I could get the bus for 170b I shouted 

Where does the bus take you from Jomtien,does it go near Lumpini park!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I live close walking distance to the bus station so it's pretty much a door to door service. The only time I'll take a taxi rather than the bus is when I'm flying in from overseas, I'm tired and just want to get out the airport and down the road as quick as possible. All other times I find the bus, airport rail link and MRT/BTS an easy option for a day trip, however the cost saving over a taxi means I'm able to spend a night in a hotel for the same money, so I get way more enjoyment and value out of a trip using the bus over a taxi. I actually view that bus service as a major plus of where I live.

Edited by kinyara
Amend
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

really can't understand farangs  especially old guys heaving luggage up to the Jomtien bus station to save a few hundred baht 

I saw a elderly farang yesterday,with his Thai GF trying to pull his luggage up the hill sweating dodging traffic etc 

There two of them why not fork out that extra 800 baht for a Air conditioning car?

They are paying around 150 b each for the bus I believe  and a taxi is around 1200 

I thought I was a tight arse not going to bars to spend money but when it comes to time & comfort surely a car is quicker and more comfortable ?

I totally agree with you. I am 71 years old and don't need that hustle for a few $ less. The taxi fares are so cheap in Thailand that one should be dumb not to take advantage of it. I do not understand some posts above, for example the one comparing the behaviour of a bus driver and a taxi driver. Nothing to do with this issue it's just a matter of personnal skills and behaviour. And having discussed the pros and contras of taxi vs bus/tuktuk/train/motorbike with many farangs it was always a financial issue. My conclusion is if you are so short that you have to save some bucks on already cheap transportation, you better stay home.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JayClay said:

I don't see how taking a bus and a train is "better" than a door-to-door taxi service? It's certainly cheaper, which is why I myself do the same if I'm travelling light and alone, but if I had the choice/funds it'd be taxi every time.

The money has nothing to do with it. Anything is better than sitting in Bangkok traffic so I'll do everything I can to minimize that. The bus ride, train, then bolt is the least stressful means of getting to somewhere in Bangkok.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thailand has a great expression regarding this topic as well as many other similar you should do it my way types..

UP TO YOU

or as in USA....different strokes for different folks.

maybe the "elderly?" guy lives right next door to the ekamai bus station...maybe he is on a very tight budget...maybe he has had bad experiences with taxis.....who the F knows...i have done both bus and cars and each has plus and minus...once on bus sat beside a real thai beauty and later got together with her...once had a taxi scare the crap out of me get lost and tried to overcharge...once had a crappy bus that the A/C dripped on me entire way....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Thailand has a great expression regarding this topic as well as many other similar you should do it my way types..

UP TO YOU

or as in USA....different strokes for different folks.

maybe the "elderly?" guy lives right next door to the ekamai bus station...maybe he is on a very tight budget...maybe he has had bad experiences with taxis.....who the F knows...i have done both bus and cars and each has plus and minus...once on bus sat beside a real thai beauty and later got together with her...once had a taxi scare the crap out of me get lost and tried to overcharge...once had a crappy bus that the A/C dripped on me entire way....

Agree, especially if originating from Krung Thep, where many don't need or want a car.   Getting to public trans out of Krung Thep is easy.  Most depots, bus, train & plane are all interconnected.

All safer then being on the roads in a car or limo van, and very budget friendly.  Relaxing next to your partner, gazing out the window 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yeah, this doesn't make any sense. 

For only a few hundred baht more you get car and driver door to door. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, gargamon said:

I take the airport bus all the time when I'm going to actual Bangkok. Bus to the airport then train to Bangkok then bolt to my destination. Much better than taking a taxi direct to Bangkok and sitting in all that traffic.

The Bolt, how does it avoid "all that traffic"?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, JayClay said:

I don't see how taking a bus and a train is "better" than a door-to-door taxi service? It's certainly cheaper, which is why I myself do the same if I'm travelling light and alone, but if I had the choice/funds it'd be taxi every time.

I could not possibly imagine a more convenient journey than traveling with a small  back pack, to stroll across Thrappaya from VT 5, or from VT 1 or2 to get on a large coach to the airport. But sadly I do not live there, and don't want to get to the airport already sweated up. 

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

The Bolt, how does it avoid "all that traffic"?

It doesn't avoid all the traffic. It makes the amount of time you are in traffic the absolute minimum amount. Until they get a Star Trek like transporter, this is the best way I've found.

• Like 1