Public Indecency at Wat Phra Kaew Spurs National Outrage and Debate

4 hours ago, NemoH said:

Like the old English saying - A man is a king in his castle. 
So the Thais can be king in Thailand and we are all guests. 
Next time we do anything, just remember whether a guest should behave like that..😊

This is a little girl for heavens sake and if you have any kids of your own, you'll know that when a kid's got to go it's got to go.

As someone already pointed out, you see Thais urinating by the side of the road almost on a daily basis. I even see them doing it on the track opposite my house! These are adults, not kids, so what's their excuse?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

'National outrage'?  Hardly.  A couple thousand reactions, and a few hundred comments, not all negative, out of a population of 70 million.  Hold the almost always excessive hype already, it's getting so tiresome.

17 hours ago, mark131v said:

Wait the AN hang 'em high brigade of purist's will be along shortly shouting about immediate removal from LoS post jail and lifetime bans!

It's a little kid ffs!!! what's the excuses of the multitude of local adults pissing at the side of the road or basically ignoring any rule or law they want even the ones that cause innocents to die on a daily basis? w<deleted>!!!!

Thai hypocrisy and overt xenophobia strikes again, it's not very well hidden behind that false smile...

So leave if it's so bad. Is your country any better? 

• Sad 1

And no drunk grownup thai ever done the same at a thai temple ??

But why is there no public wc at this much visited place ???

Oh-stupid me- the 300 thb "tourist tax" not introduced yet...

2 hours ago, Ulyssesamui said:

This would be unacceptable behaviour in any country and illegal in my own. Add the location to that deed; it is outrageous. It is not hard to identify the nationality from that one photo and no one will be surprised...

Well, the PM and locals are begging for the Chinese to come back just like they were previously.  They raise their children entirely different that mose westerners are familiar with.

2 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

You're missing the point. The location is salient and the fact that the parents clearly seem to let her do this all the time judging by the absence of embarrassment or shame on their part. 

Peeing in public is not accepted behaviour anywhere that I know of........hence the public indeceny laws that exist. The exception may be China. 

Well in the not-distant-past, the inter-changwat buses would have pit stops along some road - women would go into the grass on one side of the bus and men on the other side.  I saw it many times.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, loong said:

I see numerous Thai people wearing them every single day.
It is only snobby Farangs that look down at them!

Elephant pants just like shorts do not look particularly nice on a grown man, but they are probably the most comfortable to wear in hot weather.

They looked Asian, however I was a little disappointed after reading the headlines, I was expecting a teen hooking their panties to one side and evacuating her bladder causing a few gallon of piss to swamp the immediate area.

I didn't expect to see a child who appeared to be less than 6yrs relieving herself with the parents attempting to shield her from view.

Be reasonable for f:@#£ sake.

Reminds me years ago I was in a department store and I saw a little boy take a dump in a toilet showroom. Thought I'd share that in order to point out that when a kid has to go ....they go!

Farang with Thai wife & daughter, complain about something serious. if was adult no problem but this is a little girl. Always something to complain about.

This is common practice in China. It is annoying when they do it indoors but out on the street, it does not matter. At least she was outside of the temple.

Arresting toddlers is not going to help security or the tourism industry.

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

most civilised societies make allowances for  young children

most civilised societies would not condone anybody videoing this

you seem to be being contradictory for the sake of it. I know kids do pee in public - nobody is denying that. The location is the salient point here...........and the lack of parental involvement in what kid is doing. 

• Like 1

Just now, cjinchiangrai said:

This is common practice in China. It is annoying when they do it indoors but out on the street, it does not matter. At least she was outside of the temple.

Arresting toddlers is not going to help security or the tourism industry.

nobody is suggesting the kid should be arrested? The parents are responsible for everything the kid does anyway because.............he/she is just a kid! What is wrong with people on this thread? 

13 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

I'm sure the foreign couple would have preferred to have their daughter use a toilet - had one been available nearby. In any case, do Thais really expect all foreigners to know what will offend them? A foreigner kicking a doctor in the back will get him deported, but a Thai killing a foreign woman with a speeding vehicle while running a red light doesn't elicit any outrage from Thais.

Not necessarily, if they were Chinese. 

Personally, I have no problem where a small child urinates in the street under the protection of its parents. It's one of the things that very young children need & do in many countries.

However, the Chinese are well known for their lack of social graces of the when , how & where they empty their bowels.

An incident occurred in CM a year or so back, where some Chinese woman decided to have a dump in the moat around the city. She too was photographed.

They're not the most sophisticated of people.

Oh, and I agree with you about the other incidents as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NemoH said:

Like the old English saying - A man is a king in his castle. 
So the Thais can be king in Thailand and we are all guests. 
Next time we do anything, just remember whether a guest should behave like that..😊

A good host takes care of his guests and ensures they want for nothing.

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

How can you establish the level of shame and embarrassment ?     or the "fact"  that they "clearly let her do it all the time "   you must have amazing powers

While a picture only shows a fraction of a second, it is possible to look at what is happening and make certain assumptions.

Assuming they remained like this throughout, you can see that they don't seem embarrassed, they aren't trying to shield their daughter, and they aren't even offering help. At the very least, they appear quite casual about the whole thing, which can obviously give you some idea about their attitude towards it.

4 hours ago, FreekB said:

“one Thai user called for equality” and what about the entrance fee, foreigners 500 Bht and Thais free

Is that really true? Are foreigners actually paying 500Bt to go into a temple? When I first came to Thailand in 2001 I don't remember paying to go into a temple, and I was in a few unless any girl I was with was paying behind my back.

3 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

he was behind a tree not on the steps of a temple and he was not a foreigner as you stated he was Thai and he was an adult, not a minor. Keep going

I will

Quote: from the post... of the deed taking place, right outside the palace [not as you say on the temple steps]

and it was a young child caught short needing an immediate pee.

Not an adult who should know better and was clearly visible from the road.

18 hours ago, Dr. Zorg said:

How do they know they're foreigners? They could be Thai?

the lady and the very typical visor

the guy..hat--yankees--elephant pants and backpack..seen many thai dudes dress this way???

and the thai guys tend to use the alley as i witness them daily on my bike ride....

try to get out into society more often.....and you will see

maybe they didnt want to pay the 10 bt fee at the wat toilet.....

and yes the lady visor is a giveaway for chinese..i see them daily on my bike ride

yes thais may wear the pants..thai GIRLS...never seen a THAI dude in those stupid pants....and yes the new backpack --china

they are chinese...,its easy to spot them...the VISORS are mandatory with the ladies....prob a yankees cap too as the design looks chinese as i always ask them to tell me what it means......add in nikes or adidas....durian chips and snail white cream

• Thanks 1