Living Year Around in the South - I don't get it

@SiSePuede419You couldn't of picked a worse place to be in the 'south'.  IMHO   Been to Samui, long week, around the whole island ... hated it.  That was a long time ago.  Can't imagine it getter better.   I don't know anyone that has liked it.

So much more to the south than Samui, and where we go most often.  Soon to pop down that way again, before end of the month.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

So, you're saying you can't think of a single factual advantage to living in the South of Thailand vs The North of Thailand during the non-smokey season, so you just throw out an ad hominem attack.

Sad, isn't it that the people who love the South can't think of a single advantage over the North.

Got it. 😘

Read what I wrote, then What you wrote. Do those two things seem equal to you? 

36 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

and there are *zero* Olympic size swimming pools on Samui or probably throughout the whole South. 

There are loads of beaches in the South, way bigger than your pool and many that you don't have to pay to sit there.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Just got back to the North from a few months in Samui.

Why would anyone on earth want to live in the South from now mid-May to late January (8 1/2 months a year)?

I laughed when I saw some closed down business on Samui advertising a Sauna.

Who needs to pay for a sauna there?  Just walk down the street for 10 to 20 minutes.  You'll be soaking wet from the humidity.  32c in Samui "feels like" 41c.

Meanwhile up North it gets down to 24 overnight, lower humidity, feels nice in the morning to walk around. 

Driving on Samui is a nightmare.  No traffic lights.  Chaos.  If you're a pedestrian, you're taking your life in your own hands crossing the main ring road at rush hour.  Many hotels in Bo Phut on Samui have crossing guards it's so dangerous.

Meanwhile up North (at least in Chiang Rai) it's a pleasure to drive. Lots of traffic lights but everything is pretty orderly.  Not lots of Farangs First Day on Motorcycle vibe going. 😄 The roads here are uncrowded and in better condition than Samui.  Right turns in Samui are no fun and slightly dangerous.

And the cost is a lot lower in the North.  The high end places in the North are similarly priced with the more Western food restaurants in Samui, but the price on the lower end of the market is definitely better up North.  50B Khao Soi up North would be 70B in Samui, for example.  Walk street street food is definitely better in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai than Samui (Fisherman's Village, Chaweng).

I don't get it.

Why would anyone think living on that little overcrowded, overdeveloped* island all year round is desirable?

The North has no air pollution (Mid-May to Early February).

The North has beautiful mountains and the best waterfalls in Thailand. 

The North is cheaper in every way to the South.

The North has lots of wonderful hot springs.  No hot springs on Samui.

The weather is nicer in the North, it actually gets cool in the morning.

Samui starts out sticky in the morning and just gets unbearable as the day goes on.

There's a lot more Russians, Israelis and French people on Samui.

But many people in the North might say that's another advantage. 😄

*The worst part about Samui was some of the greedy resort owners stole all the beach for their "resort" and build concrete monstrosities right out to the tidal line, forcing people walking on the beach to have to walk through water around submerged concrete obstacles 

But you would admit that it is a very long way from Chiangrai to the sandy beaches if you want to swim in the ocean every morning and evening🙏

22 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Just got back to the North from a few months in Samui.

Why would anyone on earth want to live in the South from now mid-May to late January (8 1/2 months a year)?

I guess that you only did the tourist parts of Samui - Chewang/Fisherman's village. Which are the parts that most of us that live here avoid like the plague.

Lots of beaches with easy access if you bother to look.

Lots of cheaper restaurants outside of the main tourist areas. (Pad krapow moo with a fried egg and rice - 60 baht. BIG portions.)

No major air pollution all year round. Just the occasional day or three when you northerners decide to share it with us.

Your probably should have avoided high season. Very little traffic these days.

You complain about the heat and then talk about "lots of wonderful hot springs". Make your mind up or did you just want to boast? (My pool has been like a hot spring for more then a month.)

I have never been to Chiang Rai - too cold, but traffic and pollution in Chiang Mai - give me Samui every day. It did drop to 19 C one winter years ago.

Lived on Samui now for 24 years. I would not want to live anywhere else. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

So, you're saying you can't think of a single factual advantage to living in the South of Thailand vs The North of Thailand during the non-smokey season, so you just throw out an ad hominem attack.

Sad, isn't it that the people who love the South can't think of a single advantage over the North.

Got it. 😘

Until Chiang Mai is as developed as Bangkok, it will, like most places in Thailand, be a 3rd rate backwater.

At least some of the islands have nice high end resorts that attract wealthier (better) people.  

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Ok let’s all agree to move to the middle. Some pollution, some beaches, basically a mixture of all. 

If you plan on swimming in the surf, better go further south & pick the Andaman Sea side, as the Gulf is iffy all the time, besides the half or so year you should avoid being in.

Edited by KhunLA

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Until Chiang Mai is as developed as Bangkok, it will, like most places in Thailand, be a 3rd rate backwater.

At least some of the islands have nice high end resorts that attract wealthier (better) people.  

Actually, as history has proven, the majority of wealthy people are the ones that are causing the most environmental damage, along with thinking they are somehow better than all the others, which translates into being someone with narcissistic personality disorder, the bane of society. Of course, there are some who put money towards environmental concerns, animal concerns and those who suffer ailments, though these are few. Although all humans are equal in God's eyes, these types are the opposite of what you call better.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

The art of happy living, is to have an decent base, and be able to travel as much as necessary to ease off the different seasons.

My experience, all places have bad seasons, so what to do?

Rule nr 1

Dont get stuck one place

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 6:30 AM, Stocky said:

The 'South' is considerably more than just the island of Samui, you probably should change the topic title. Personally I like the south, and Hat Yai is probably humid more of the time than Samui, but having lived most of my life in the tropics, including 20 years in Hat Yai, I consider myself acclimatised. Hat Yai doesn't have an issue with over-tourism, though it does get busy during holiday periods in Malaysia (of which there are a lot). The food is excellent, with plenty of options, air quality here is good most of the year round, we have lots of traffic lights, probably too many. There are hills and waterfalls, even hot springs, the coast isn't far away, and on top of that we have scant few Russians, Israelis, French or any other farang for that matter.

2024-05-1611_32_16-KoSamuiSuratThaniTHClimateZoneMonthlyAveragesHistoricalWeatherDat.jpg.3aeff791c16eff3dda39974c7ff4eda0.jpg

2024-05-1611_33_08-HatYaiSongkhlaTHClimateZoneMonthlyAveragesHistoricalWeatherData-.jpg.ecb0c6cff543afa04114876929d3956b.jpg

2024-05-1611_33_40-ChiangRaiTHClimateZoneMonthlyWeatherAveragesandHistoricalData-Brav.jpg.6147d917726bf6d55e9deea4366a4018.jpg

Interesting comparisons

From what webpage do you have this comparisons? I would like to compare with more places for example Bangkok and Hua Hin.

I tend to agree with the OP. I try to get away for the summer (March and April) and for the September-end October period, the rainy season. I went down to Krabi one August....it pretty much rained non stop and was miserable. I'd rather be home in Isaan if it is raining.