Living Year Around in the South - I don't get it

On 5/16/2024 at 11:56 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

Sad, isn't it that the people who love the South can't think of a single advantage over the North.

Got it. 😘

Have you ever heard about different opinions? You like it better in the North, while some other people like living in the South. Hard to let it be with that?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, retarius said:

I tend to agree with the OP. I try to get away for the summer (March and April) and for the September-end October period, the rainy season. I went down to Krabi one August....it pretty much rained non stop and was miserable. I'd rather be home in Isaan if it is raining. 

It rained in the rainy season in Krabi, what a surprise.

• Agree 2

On 5/16/2024 at 11:20 AM, impulse said:

How's the beach up in Chiang Rai?

perfect! no raw sewage in it and no plastic bags to wrap around my ankle- thinking its a jellyfish......thanks for asking!

say hello to the chinese tour groups,the lovely friendly russians and jaded thais :)..save me some 250 bt fried rice

33 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Have you ever heard about different opinions? You like it better in the North, while some other people like living in the South. Hard to let it be with that?

so what you are saying he cant post his opinions?....the irony!   I'll take it anyday over another post from Gamma G....

as dionne warwick sang..walk on by........#1stworldproblems    be sure to add him to your ignore list to avoid future meltdowns

1 hour ago, Captor said:

From what webpage do you have this comparisons? I would like to compare with more places for example Bangkok and Hua Hin.

Weather and Climate

https://weatherandclimate.com/thailand/prachuap-khiri-khan/hua-hin

another good one for climate data is Weather Spark

https://weatherspark.com/y/113017/Average-Weather-in-Hua-Hin-Thailand-Year-Round

Seems like you, OP, is better of staying in north most of the time. Others love Samui and all-year-round-summer – never too hot and never too cold – and the charm of the island, which it still has, even it's different than during the good old hippie-era. But so, we are all different, and there seems to be space for both kind: You up north and me on a lovely paradise-island down south...:heart_001::thumbsup:

PS: I first wished to settle in Chiang Mai, but luckily changed my mind when I realized that i way to cold at night in the winter months, and it can still be too warm in daytime; way too hot in summertime; and not to forget the haze and PM2.5-pollution during the long burning-season, making it one of the most air-polluted places in the whole World...:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2024 at 11:20 AM, impulse said:

How's the beach up in Chiang Rai?

Who wants a beach - I certainly did not throughout my 20 years living up North in Lanna and Isaan.

When I lived in Isaan, the nearest beach was at Ubolrat Lake in Khon Kaen Province. Know as Pattaya 2!

เที่ยวพักร้อนกับพัทยา 2 ขอนแก่น - everyday-trip.com

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Who wants a beach - I certainly did not throughout my 20 years living up North in Lanna and Isaan.

When I lived in Isaan, the nearest beach was at Ubolrat Lake in Khon Kaen Province. Know as Pattaya 2!

Beaches and living close to the beach, gives a fresh nice Seabreeze and great views as sunrise or sunsets, which can relax and brighten your mind. 

Fresh seafood and great restaurants with seaview. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, Mavideol said:

spend last week driving around Lampang, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and was wondering why there are so many people wanting to leave there,  the air was so polluted that had difficulty breathing, during my 10 days stay not one day did I saw a blue sky, always grey whitish, and yet there are people who loved it, I tend not to question peoples likings or ways of life

for the sad/confused one...

Chiang Mai police invoke 10pm curfew after samurai gang rampage

Edited by Mavideol

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Air has been clear and clean since the 10th May .......

Lake by my local coffee shop.

IMG_20240131_114026.jpg

didn't see anything like that when there, is the photo a recent one, where is it exactly, check the places I visited as none had this type of nice sky, my travel was between May 18 and May 29 2024

Edited by Mavideol

On 5/16/2024 at 5:08 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

Just got back to the North from a few months in Samui.

Why would anyone on earth want to live in the South from now mid-May to late January (8 1/2 months a year)?

I laughed when I saw some closed down business on Samui advertising a Sauna.

Who needs to pay for a sauna there?  Just walk down the street for 10 to 20 minutes.  You'll be soaking wet from the humidity.  32c in Samui "feels like" 41c.

Meanwhile up North it gets down to 24 overnight, lower humidity, feels nice in the morning to walk around. 

Driving on Samui is a nightmare.  No traffic lights.  Chaos.  If you're a pedestrian, you're taking your life in your own hands crossing the main ring road at rush hour.  Many hotels in Bo Phut on Samui have crossing guards it's so dangerous.

Meanwhile up North (at least in Chiang Rai) it's a pleasure to drive. Lots of traffic lights but everything is pretty orderly.  Not lots of Farangs First Day on Motorcycle vibe going. 😄 The roads here are uncrowded and in better condition than Samui.  Right turns in Samui are no fun and slightly dangerous.

And the cost is a lot lower in the North.  The high end places in the North are similarly priced with the more Western food restaurants in Samui, but the price on the lower end of the market is definitely better up North.  50B Khao Soi up North would be 70B in Samui, for example.  Walk street street food is definitely better in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai than Samui (Fisherman's Village, Chaweng).

I don't get it.

Why would anyone think living on that little overcrowded, overdeveloped* island all year round is desirable?

The North has no air pollution (Mid-May to Early February).

The North has beautiful mountains and the best waterfalls in Thailand. 

The North is cheaper in every way to the South.

The North has lots of wonderful hot springs.  No hot springs on Samui.

The weather is nicer in the North, it actually gets cool in the morning.

Samui starts out sticky in the morning and just gets unbearable as the day goes on.

There's a lot more Russians, Israelis and French people on Samui.

But many people in the North might say that's another advantage. 😄

*The worst part about Samui was some of the greedy resort owners stole all the beach for their "resort" and build concrete monstrosities right out to the tidal line, forcing people walking on the beach to have to walk through water around submerged concrete obstacles 

Such a terrible place yet you still stayed for a few months.........

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

didn't see anything like that when there, is the photo a recent one, where is it exactly, check the places I visited as none had this type of nice sky, my travel was between May 18 and May 29 2024

It's the lake next to MaeJo golf course.

Did you mean April? As the smog cleared in the storms starting 10 May, and it's Friday 17 May today.

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Beaches and living close to the beach, gives a fresh nice Seabreeze and great views as sunrise or sunsets, which can relax and brighten your mind. 

Fresh seafood and great restaurants with seaview. 

With respect, not for me. Give me the lakes, forests, mountains and rivers of the North any day for exihilerating experiences - my personal choice.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

eeeuu, no thanks.

42 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, not for me. Give me the lakes, forests, mountains and rivers of the North any day for exihilerating experiences - my personal choice.

I prefer to have a solid base in Isaan with low maintenance, and free to go wherever I want when I want. Not so different? 

Just now, Hummin said:

I prefer to have a solid base in Isaan with low maintenance, and free to go wherever I want when I want. Not so different? 

But, when I get old, a nice flat with seaview and walking distance to shopping mall  and restaurants, as Hospital close by. You never know when you will need assistance. Not so afraid of dying, but a stroke, where time is essential for how bad it will be, and also quality of service.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

great comment. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

so what you are saying he cant post his opinions?....the irony!   I'll take it anyday over another post from Gamma G....

as dionne warwick sang..walk on by........#1stworldproblems    be sure to add him to your ignore list to avoid future meltdowns

Where did I say he can not post his opinions? What irony? I don´t add people to ignore list. That, like take away the fun of the forum. Neither was there any meltdown. I assume you have no experience of such, and in a fragile way take something out of thin air and put the name on it. I just found it were peculiar that so many still promote the north as a great location.

• Confused 1

On 5/16/2024 at 11:51 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

No, actually it applies even more to Hat Yai.  More people, more traffic.  Even worse weather.  It's even more remotely located than Samui, nobody makes anything in the South except coconuts it's all imported from the rest of the country.  Increases the cost.  Also, not interested in living in a majority Muslim culture.  If I wanted that I'd move to Afghanistan or Pakistan.  Or Pai. 😄

I used to fly in and out of HatYai every month and what you say is so true. 

I never spent much time in HatYai, I'd drive same day to Songkhla, thank God. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Fact is, there probably isn't a place here that's "that great". Your expectations exceed the reality. I have the same problem and have been traveling around here for years trying to find that perfect spot.

Although you can probably still find niches here and there in Thailand if you try hard enough, I have come to the sad conclusion that those perfect places require moving to a different country along with increased costs.

Edited by JimTripper

Off in the morning down to our house in Trang province.....12 hour drive....we do this monthly staying there for a couple of weeks....beautiful peaceful countryside surrounded by rubber/palm oil trees,the locals are very friendly nearest 7/11 is 7kms away...rural Thailand I,m the only farang in the area....look forward to the break/change but I enjoy the return drive back here to Pattaya more :thumbsup:

Lived in the south(Surat Thani) for many years now, its great if you know where to go and where to avoid. I dont do any tourist areas as every tourist aea in Thailand is a rip off especially the islands, been to the north a few times  but it does nothing for me, lots of hookers and bars, the one good thing was the night market. The queens flower show seveal years back was great, considering how poor everyone in the north appears to be I can understand why all the daughters are made to service others, the food is bloody awful and way too many drunks but if thats your cup of tea you are welcome to it. Really depends on why you live in Thailand, I am not here for the sex and bars like many are, did all that in my younger days, I am here for the peace and quality of life, everyone has different tastes snf how they want to live, you dont like the south, I dont like the north, you really need to get a life and stop whinging if you are going to stay here long term, the weather is only a small part of Thailand you need to accept, there are a lot more things that will get on your goat , maybe try thinking with your big head and not your small one

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I used to fly in and out of HatYai every month and what you say is so true. 

I never spent much time in HatYai, I'd drive same day to Songkhla, thank God. 

Not easy to reconcile those two statements - but each to their own