Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Remember My Lai or Abu Ghraib or the treatment of Palestinian prisonsers in Israel?

No and even if I did that's just deflection from the topic and this current war crime from Russian orcs. 

Yes the Express really, I'll stick to whatever has credible news at the time, however the evidence is also in the actual video on X and Rumble video if you actually followed the thread. 

Its not like it can be denied, only lame deflections as you have clearly demonstrated.

image.png.9e3b5f4509852355d5e10df8fea0d018.png

This is a one sided debate though as I suspect your post will stand. I can show X videos of Ukrainian prisoners back in Ukraine reporting they were treated well and videos of Russian prisoners being mistreated by Ukrainains. But they will get deleted under the acceptable sources rule. So I won't. 

I want this war to stop and the brutality and suffering to stop with it , a war that Ukraine is losing and a war that is damaging the long term survival of the west whilst purporting to do the opposite. That's my line , period , that and the thought of an old man , me, sitting comfortably cheerleading a war far away where youing men are dying in their thousands just doesn't feel right. Sorry about that.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

This is a one sided debate though as I suspect your post will stand. I can show X videos of Ukrainian prisoners back in Ukraine reporting they were treated well and videos of Russian prisoners being mistreated by Ukrainains. But they will get deleted under the acceptable sources rule. So I won't. 

I want this war to stop and the brutality and suffering to stop with it , a war that Ukraine is losing and a war that is damaging the long term survival of the west whilst purporting to do the opposite. That's my line , period , that and the thought of an old man , me, sitting comfortably cheerleading a war far away where youing men are dying in their thousands just doesn't feel right. Sorry about that.

Why would you think I've not seen those vids? Just more off topic deflection from this incident.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why would you think I've not seen those vids? Just more off topic deflection from this incident.

Well then if you have - that underlines my point that war brutalises mostly men of whatever stripe and in Russia a brutalised country to start with it's  nasty brutal business. Also when I see all this Orc, Mordor nonsense labelling then I know the poster is a one-sided propagandist. You would have been, no dount , big on the shovels, washing machines, no toilets in Russia, will be deposed in a coup , running out of missiles, Putin is dying / has cancer tropes that were common way back which seem notably absence from current discourse.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Soundbite propaganda.  No one wishes for never rending war. Most reasonable people wish that Russia (perhaps without despot Putin) could find better ways to work together with the rest of the world. Maybe not start the first war of territorial conquest since forever. 

Time to talk - an eye for an eye will make everyone blind.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/perspectives/PEA2510-1.html

"Since avoiding a long war is the highest priority after minimizing escalation risks, the United States should take steps that make an end to the conflict over the medium term more likely."

President Biden has said that this war will end at the negotiating table.[74] But the administration has not yet made any moves to push the parties toward talks. Although it is far from certain that a change in U.S. policy can spark negotiations, adopting one or more of the policies described in this Perspective could make talks more likely. We identify reasons why Russia and Ukraine may have mutual optimism about war and pessimism about peace. The literature on war termination suggests that such perceptions can lead to protracted conflict. Therefore, we highlight four options the United States has for shifting these dynamics: clarifying its plans for future support to Ukraine, making commitments to Ukraine's security, issuing assurances regarding the country's neutrality, and setting conditions for sanctions relief for Russia.

A dramatic, overnight shift in U.S. policy is politically impossible—both domestically and with allies—and would be unwise in any case. But developing these instruments now and socializing them with Ukraine and with U.S. allies might help catalyze the eventual start of a process that could bring this war to a negotiated end in a time frame that would serve U.S. interests. The alternative is a long war that poses major challenges for the United States, Ukraine, and the rest of the world.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/3/2024 at 7:00 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's likely to come at the meeting Zelensky is promoting now.

To the poster that gave that a laugh emoji- what is so funny about it? The meeting is a fact and "it" is likely to be discussed during the meeting. Do you just like posting laugh emojis on posts or are you < insert word(s) of choice >?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, rabas said:

Your 1.5 year old post is also not related to current events in Ukraine and violates forum cut and past rules. 

and just what forum cut and past rules would those be? I just did a check and I was unable to locate any rule relating to cut and paste. Perhaps you meant something else, and if so please refer to the correct rule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

They do, because he has been clear about what they are. He hankers after restoring the former Russian Empire as it was under Peter the Great.

@Bkk Brianalready posted one link attesting to this, here's another.

Putin’s history lecture reveals his dreams of a new Russian Empire

LOL. If he's attempting to reclaim all of Ukraine, he's not doing a very good job of it. If he just wants the eastern areas he already has, he's winning on that already. IMO it's simply a case of waiting for Zelensky to admit that sending more men to die is not going to change that and negotiating an end.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, rabas said:

Soundbite propaganda.  No one wishes for never ending war. Most reasonable people wish that Russia (perhaps without despot Putin) could find better ways to work together with the rest of the world. Maybe not start the first war of territorial conquest since forever. 

Perhaps if the rest of the ( western ) world didn't try to move nukes up to the Russian border Putin wouldn't start any wars.

Russia's red line as stated long ago was Ukraine in NATO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, rabas said:

Soundbite propaganda.  No one wishes for never ending war. Most reasonable people wish that Russia (perhaps without despot Putin) could find better ways to work together with the rest of the world. Maybe not start the first war of territorial conquest since forever. 

No one wishes for never ending war? Let’s see..

No negotiations with Russia as long as Putin is President- can you think of a more stupid law apart from 90day report?

Peace summit without inviting the main protagonist, in reality the only party that can materially affect the course of the war

Further escalation by the west on a daily basis

I don’t see a single action by the west that makes any attempt to end this conflict. In fact, it seems to me that certain western powers are more than happy to keep the war going as it is extremely profitable business. Same same with trying to provoke a hot war in Asia. After all, it’s not as if their own citizens are dying, not that they would care anyway, apart from hurting their re-election chances.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Betrayal , what betrayal ? Oh and shift the narrative to prep the ground for that betrayal. Putin has said he would prefer Biden to win the election and I beleive him - Trump is just too much of a wild card.

Mr Biden said: “I am not prepared to support the Nato-isation of Ukraine,” adding he had seen “significant corruption” in Ukraine when he visited as vice president.

Joe Biden has ruled out Ukraine joining Nato in the aftermath of a ceasefire with Russia in a major blow to Volodymyr Zelensky.

Ahead of Nato’s annual summit on July 9, the US president said Ukraine would have to rely on supplies of Western weapons to ward off a second Russian offensive.

Peace, he said, “doesn’t mean Nato.”

“It means we have a relationship with them like we do with other countries, where we supply weapons so they can defend themselves in future,” he told Time magazine.

https://archive.ph/0oRKa

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

https://kyivindependent.com/us-embassy-in-ukraine-men-with-dual-citizenship-will-no-longer-be-able-to-leave-the-country/

Here is the official U.S. Government statement saying it does not have enough influence:

"The U.S. Embassy is limited in our ability to influence Ukrainian law, including the application of martial law and the mobilization law to Ukrainian citizens. If you are in Ukraine and cannot leave the country, shelter in place and obey all local orders. If you are not currently in Ukraine, we strongly recommend against all travel to Ukraine by U.S. citizen males aged 18 to 60 who also have Ukrainian citizenship or a claim to Ukrainian citizenship and who do not wish to stay in Ukraine indefinitely. There is an extremely high risk you will not be allowed to depart, even with a U.S. passport."

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To the poster that gave that a laugh emoji- what is so funny about it? The meeting is a fact and "it" is likely to be discussed during the meeting. Do you just like posting laugh emojis on posts or are you < insert word(s) of choice >?

Just ignore them I do they are of no consequence. I would be ashamed to use one personally.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1