Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

5 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Are you sure you’re not Gordon Chang, predicting the collapse of China next month for the past decade? I have lost count of the number of your posts predicting that Russia is about to collapse.

So, why isn't your leader winning...................😝

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Unfortunate it is not over yet!Β 

Β 

It only takes some coincident happenings to change everything over night, or change or Us president. Putin will not give up before next election in Us, Im quite sure about that.Β 

13 hours ago, tgw said:

Β 

Do you have a source for that claim ?

Β There are all sorts of β€œsources β€œ about the deaths and casualties. Β I wouldn’t necessarily believe any of them. Β The true numbers are probably more than what Ukraine has reported, and less than the Russian estimates. Β The Ukrainian military seems to be desperately in need of new recruits, though. Β So much so that they are snatching people off the streets. Β 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, VBer said:

Yes, I agree. Not just some staples prices increasing, but the whole inflation is higher than planned by Central Bank. I also predict that rouble will be highly devalued in the future, despite of being stable now.

So, what about fake photo?

Thank you.

Β 

The image is not a fake per se but should have been labeled an historical image of Soviet day food lines. I assume it was meant as a symbol of what may come because it was labeled as something that may happen in the future. Clearly no claim it was current. The original image is here,Β https://dzen.ru/a/ZaWseplNJTi27K58Β 

Β 

Here is a new image from [Β Reuters]. People are wearing Covid masks. Again only representative. Sorry if I misunderstood your response to mean the data was wrong. I have no interest in seeing Russians suffer as I have many close long term friends. It is only Putin that I disagree with, but so do my friends.

Β 

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

honestly can't figure out why they didn't blow it, it's the main path to supply the ruskoffs, Ukraine has drones, missiles and planes

It requires a massive hit to take out permanently.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, rabas said:

The image is not a fake per se but should have been labeled an historical image of Soviet day food lines.

I cannot call it journalism. Providing current data and illustrating it with a suffering photo which have no connection with current situation is not journalism, its propaganda.

Such situation is neither possible in future, photo shows how deficit looks. It was Soviet Β planned economy with the lack of staples, Russia currently having market economy with the lack of money, so shelves will never be empty.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I've had a nice break but I'm now back so where to start with a huge Trump/Vance Coronation looming over Europe and Ukraine. That's the bigly one.

Β 

Trump’s decision Monday to have Vance join him on the ticket is raising concerns across Europe that Trump might abandon Ukraine in its war against Russia’s invasion. The fear in European capitals is that, without strong U.S. aid, Ukraine will have less leverage in any peace talks - WSJ

Β 

The invasion inspired Vance to enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps months later, where he said he learned firsthand that those claims were untrue.
β€œI believed in the propaganda of the George W. Bush administration that we needed to invade Iraq, that it was a war for freedom and democracy,” Vance said from the Senate floor. β€œThe promises of the foreign policy establishment of this country were a complete joke.”

Β 

https://archive.ph/lhDuE

Β 

NYT - J.D. Vance’s Opposition to U.S. Support for Ukraine: In His Own Words

β€œI don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or the other,” Senator Vance has said.Β Β 

Β 

https://archive.ph/VUyw0

Β 

And so the retreat from the high moral ground begins if Trump cuts the funds then Europe/Ukraine will have to make diffcult desicions as without money the whole show implodes and in short order.Β 

Β 

https://kyivindependent.com/germany-to-halve-ukraine-military-aid-reuters-reports/

Β 

Germany's military aid for Ukraine will be cut by half next year, according to a draft 2025 budget document reported by Reuters on July 17.

Berlin will provide Kyiv with around 8 billion euros ($8.7 billion) this year but will only give 4 billion euros ($4.35 billion) in 2025.

The move comes amid increasing concern that a Donald Trump victory in the upcoming U.S. presidential election will see a dramatic cut in Washington's support for Ukraine's fight against Russian aggression.

Β 

And then there's trouble at the top

Β 

With Zelensky’s party split, the government relies on formerly pro-Russian lawmakers to help it pass legislation and minimize scrutiny. Government credibility is down The disarray thwarts any meaningful role for the Parliament in the oversight of government agencies. Corruption is common-NYT

Β 

https://archive.ph/aLPVI

Β 

Controversial Ukrainian MP, Mariana Bezuhla who lambasted military to leave Zelensky's parliamentary group -Kyiv Independent
News Not long ago,Β  she was put on the Myrotvorets kill list

Β 

https://kyivindependent.com/controversial-mp-who-lambasted-military-to-leave-zelenskys-parliamentary-group/

Β 

She was also removed from her role as Head of Subcommittee of the National Security Committee a few days ago as well.

Confirming the destruction of two Patriot Launchers in the past fortnight was probably the straw that broke the camel's back and was as placed on the Myrotvorets List and even her personal contact details, such as her general location and even her phone number was put there.

Β 

Lawmaker Mariana Bezuhla said on July 17 that she had submitted an application to leave President Volodymyr Zelensky's Servant of the People parliamentary faction.

The central figure of many controversies, Bezuhla has repeatedly made headlines with her harsh criticism of the former and current military leadership, including ex-Commander-in-Chief Valerii Zaluzhnyi and his successor, Oleksandr Syrskyi.

Bezuhla made the announcement shortly after she was dismissed as the head of the subcommittee on civilian oversight over the military. She presented her dismissal as a "reaction to speaking the truth about the problems in the Armed Forces."

Β 

Β 

But it's not just about money but manpower as well something they have virtually run out of. All lives lost now on both sides now are for absolutely nothing just a war that should never have happened. Who wouldn't want to run away faced with this dilemna - which is why most abled bodied men who couldn't flee the country are trying to do.

Β 

CEASEFIRE NOW.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, VBer said:

Yes, I agree. Not just some staples prices increasing, but the whole inflation is higher than planned by Central Bank. I also predict that rouble will be highly devalued in the future, despite of being stable now.

So, what about fake photo?

That would be an inconvenient truth.

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can that be the fat lady warming up her vocal chords I hear?

The Kyiv Post has come under increasing threat from goverment censorship as whilst being uber patriotic Ukrainians living under the privations of war they also want to tell the truth, however uncomfortbale.

Β 

Reports: Ukrainian Marines Retreat From Dnipro Bridgehead, Long-Held Defensive Bastion Lost

Kyiv’s abandonment of Krynky village marked a possible end to months of attempts by Ukrainian forces to hold liberated territory on the left/south bank of the Dnipro River and expand it.

Β 

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/35948

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The Kyiv Post has come under increasing threat from goverment censorship as whilst being uber patriotic Ukrainians living under the privations of war they also want to tell the truth, however uncomfortbale.

Β 

Reports: Ukrainian Marines Retreat From Dnipro Bridgehead, Long-Held Defensive Bastion Lost

Kyiv’s abandonment of Krynky village marked a possible end to months of attempts by Ukrainian forces to hold liberated territory on the left/south bank of the Dnipro River and expand it.

Β 

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/35948

One wonders how long western leaders can keep justifying their massive financial investment in the Ukrainian war, when there is no positive news at all?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One wonders how long western leaders can keep justifying their massive financial investment in the Ukrainian war, when there is no positive news at all?

Until the Trump adminstration pulls the plug and economic and political upheaval in Europe starts screaming charity begins at home. this ex US Ambassador to NATO says Ukraine need to throw all their male population at the front before considering a single boot from another country. He's honest in his punt to the last Ukrainian. Or at least the last ones they can conscript.

Β 

β€œThe enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Β 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is the most likely PM for France when the horse trading finishes. Left or Right they have had enough of war. It's going to get rough from now in the centre cannot hold.

Β 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, transam said:

It seems you are a farangy brainwashed tool that supports communism, and you have the front to talk about "playschool"................🀣

Β 

17 hours ago, transam said:

They are not paying you enough............🀭

Β 

17 hours ago, transam said:

You remind me of that annoying 6 year old brat that doesn’t know when to stop. Pretty much all your posts have no content or substance to justify a response so…

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Β 

Β 

You remind me of that annoying 6 year old brat that doesn’t know when to stop. Pretty much all your posts have no content or substance to justify a response so…

Yet you respond..........🀣

Are all commies the same as you.......?Β  Β :crazy:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Can you link to where the Kyiv Post is coming under increasing threat of censorship for reporting the news?

From the back of my brain I thought it was the Post buy it is the Kyiv Independent and other outlets and press freedoms in general as the following links will illustrate. These examples are designed to intimidate journalists in general to toe the party line which is Zelenskiy and his actions are beyond reproach as martial law continues.Β 

Β 

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-parliament-press-restrictions-censorship-journalists/32701375.html

Β 

Since September 2022, only one television channel, the state-run Rada TV, an outlet charged with covering the parliament, or Verkhovna Rada, has been allowed to broadcast the legislature’s plenary sessions, with a delay of at least several hours for security reasons. Other accredited journalists are not allowed within the parliament or its perimeter.

Β 

https://www.state.gov/reports/2023-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/ukraine/

Β 

There were allegations the government threated to prosecute journalists in retaliation for their work. Additionally, some journalists reported being threatened by security officials with military conscription in retaliation for reporting critical of the administration. Some outlets reported security services placed their employees under surveillance. An investigation was underway, for example, into Security Service of Ukraine surveillance of independent investigative media outlet Bihus.info. The Kyiv Independent likewise reported its employees were under surveillance by security forces.

Β 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/may/02/the-fight-for-full-press-freedom-in-ukraine-we-can-write-what-we-want-but-bad-actors-try-to-intimidate-us

Β 

Rudenko is speaking out against a clumsy campaign of intimidation of journalists that began last autumn, in which staff at the English-language title have been subject, she says, to β€œundue interest” from the country’s SBU intelligence service.

The Kyiv Independent is the country’s best known English-language title in a free, vigorous and largely online news market. But, Rudenko adds, β€œsince October-November, a lot of newsrooms started feeling pressure at a time when some people began to think there might be elections”. (Elections in Ukraine are suspended under martial law and, despite that autumn speculation, there are no plans to hold them.

Β 

https://kyivindependent.com/pressure-on-journalists-press-freedom-limitations-continue-in-wartime-ukraine/

Β 

Ukrainian journalists and media watchdogs are continuing to voice concerns over declining press freedoms as their country’s army fights on more than two years into Russia’s full-scale invasion to protect the future of the democracy.

Months after attacks on investigative journalists provoked a public outcry and condemnation, media still face different forms of pressure from authorities, according to Ukrainian editors and press freedom watchdogs interviewed by the Kyiv Independent.

Β 

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-investigative-journalists-press-freedom-yuri-nikolov-corruption-nashi-groshi-war-in-ukraine/

Β 

KYIV β€” β€œI ran investigations for 15 years before the war, and it was always hard and risky. But I think it’s worse for journalists now,” said Ukrainian reporter Yuri Nikolov, editor and co-founder of the anti-corruption investigative project Nashi Groshi (Our Money).

β€œThey use different intimidation tactics to try to deter reporters and then, of course, they can always threaten to ship you off to the front lines,” he added with a rueful guffaw. For a man at the end of death threats, he remains remarkably upbeat.

• Confused 3

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Thought so, a totally unsubstantiated claim.

Β 

Β 

Well hardly I can't know everything and have proved the substantive point in spades. Though I readily accept the situation is far better than Russia where an independent media now hardly exists in any form. Gosh in my feed just now Trump is now saying he won't defend Taiwan as they nicked America's chips - he's increasingly looking like the world peace candidate.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

No, this was false why did yourself a further hole

Β 

Β 

Any reasonable person can see you are nit picking. And thanks for the heads up it appears the Independent is a much more credible news source than the Post probably because they don't give into pressure to self censor.

Β 

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/kyiv-independent-bias/

Screenshot 2024-07-18 055134.jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-18 055010.jpg

• Confused 1

From the UK Kings speech yesterday.Β 

Β 

My Government will continue to give its full support to Ukraine and its people and it will endeavour to play a leading role in providing Ukraine with a clear path to NATO membership.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6697f5c10808eaf43b50d18e/The_King_s_Speech_2024_background_briefing_notes.pdf

• Like 1
  • Agree 1