Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

Message added by CharlieH,

Notice to Members:

Posts made by individuals reflect their own opinions and should not be taken as fact.

Please draw your own conclusions and consult a qualified professional before acting on any such advice or content.

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Have you filed a P85 and obtained an NT tax code ?? 

No, I have filed an NRL (Non Resident Landlord) but when I 1st became Non-Tax Resident I still owned my own company in the UK & planned to return after a couple of years Plus My accountant always seems to make it so I don't pay any tax so never seriously looked into it.

Will be a different story when my Pensions kick in so should probably start to look into it, any pointers/links for where to get more information.

NB doesn't affect withheld tax on dividends anyway as this is never reclaimable irrespective of your Tax code.

Edited by Mike Teavee

I dont believe you should pay any UK taxation other than arising from a fixed domestic asset (rental returns, forestry income, that kind of thing). I would need to check dividends, its not on my radar, possibly from a REIT I could imagine it being domestic source.. .. But people frequently think you need to pay uk tax on pensions etc and thats 100% incorrect. 

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

There's been at least 1 report of somebody going into their Tax Office and asking if they needed to File as all of their income was not taxable by Thailand under a DTA & they were told that they didn't have to.

I think a lot of people will be filing non-taxable reports if this guidance was wrong (Plus a lot of US guys who thought they didn't need to file are going to be very upset). 

Local tax offices are frankly clueless.. I went to mine early in the year and they had so little understanding of the new rules, DTA's etc it was laughable.. Plus that WAS they way it was, now with the rule change, is that the way it is next year ?? I would liek them to put it in writing (I bet they resist that !!). 

This was recently published but still crucially does not adress the point we are both discussing. I agree with you that at this point we dont know, I tend to be suspicious enough to thing they will demand it, maybe not year 1, but over time as the noose tightens. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l0uv2e9anPg9tgs9WzuBTQSETFQhzqJu/view?usp=drive_link

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I dont believe you should pay any UK taxation other than arising from a fixed domestic asset (rental returns, forestry income, that kind of thing). I would need to check dividends, its not on my radar, possibly from a REIT I could imagine it being domestic source.. .. But people frequently think you need to pay uk tax on pensions etc and thats 100% incorrect. 

It's not like you have 10,000 shares & they declare a 10p dividend so you get £1,000 & then they take 8.75% off you, the total dividend that the company declares to HMRC is approx. 10.96p & 8.75% is withheld so you get your 10p per share.

Years back when I had dividends sent to me as cheques they would come with a Tax Credit attached to them, but this tax is never reclaimable. 

https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/pt/d0f9057b-3d87-ee11-a81c-000d3a86dfe6#:~:text=Individuals who are non resident,is known as disregarded income).

Edited by Mike Teavee
add HMRC link

37 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

But people frequently think you need to pay uk tax on pensions etc and thats 100% incorrect. 

Would you like to quote a reputable source for that statment?  It appears to be directly at odds wth this:

Your UK residence status affects whether you need to pay tax in the UK on your foreign income.

Non-residents only pay tax on their UK income - they do not pay UK tax on their foreign income.

Residents normally pay UK tax on all their income, whether it’s from the UK or abroad. But there are special rules for UK residents whose permanent home (‘domicile’) is abroad.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence#:~:text=Non-residents only pay tax,'domicile') is abroad.

and this:

You usually have to pay tax on your UK income even if you’re not a UK resident. Income includes things like:

• pension
  • rental income
  • savings interest
  • wages

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

Edited by Phulublub

5 hours ago, stat said:

Since when is there a 8.75% witholding tax on UK dividends? I always received my UK dividends tax free. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The Tax is taken out before you get your Dividend and the rate/yield of the dividend is always quoted as the after Tax amount but Withheld tax has been considered as taken already.

This is taken from my 2023/24 UK Tax return prepared by my accountant... NB the final line "8.75% tax treated as paid on dividends from UK companies (Not Repayable)". 

image.png.3a07e48c7a0c16e18e1610a4fea57a7c.png  

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking the "8.75% tax treated as paid" is more to do with the disregarded income rules and not the tax that is withheld on dividends by the Company so if that is the case then I have the answer to my question & do not have any UK tax that I could offset against Thai Tax on remitted dividend income. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking the "8.75% tax treated as paid" is more to do with the disregarded income rules and not the tax that is withheld on dividends by the Company so if that is the case then I have the answer to my question & do not have any UK tax that I could offset against Thai Tax on remitted dividend income. 

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the UK tax situation! I think you "only" pay this 8.xx % as long as you are a UK tax resident. UK and Ireland +SG do not levy any withholding tax on dividends. Ireland is kind of strange cause it happens sometimes there but UK should be safe IMHO. Withholding tax is only for foreigners regarding the country of origin of the company. So a UK guy along with any other guy should not have to pay any withholding tax on a UK dividend if he is not a tax resident in the UK (for that year).

Edited by stat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stat said:

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the UK tax situation! I think you "only" pay this 8.xx % as long as you are a UK tax resident. UK and Ireland +SG do not levy any withholding tax on dividends. Ireland is kind of strange cause it happens sometimes there but UK should be safe IMHO. Withholding tax is only for foreigners regarding the country of origin of the company. So a UK guy along with any other guy should not have to pay any withholding tax on a UK dividend if he is not a tax resident in the UK (for that year).

Yeah, I think I've confused the Withheld Tax that a Company reports to HMRC (Pre IR35 us UK IT Freelance guys would set up a limited company & pay ourselves in Dividends to reduce Tax/National Insurance & part of the dividend would include Withheld Tax) & "Disregarded Income" that a Non UK Tax resident can claim...   

As mentioned, when I used to receive Dividends (from FTSE 100 companies) in the form of a Cheque they would come as a Dividend "Warrant" that showed how much "Tax had been Paid" but I now believe this to be by the Company & not the Individual so not relevant to Thai Tax discussions... 

https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095723779#

Thanks to all for the discussion, I think remitting Dividend Income is off the table for me now unless I'm Non (Thai) Tax Resident or manage to get an LTR visa 😞

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dinga said:

REMINDER:  this thread is about Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

For goodness sake, most of us have ZERO interest in matters UK.  You Poms should start your own thread and not (further) destroy this one for the rest of us.

WTF... We were discussing tax on remitted income (granted, from the UK but we have the same questions as you Aussies) so absolutely on point for this thread. 

LMFAO, Australia is one of the few countries that does have a Withheld Tax (Franking) on Dividends so that discussion should have been of interest to you.... Assuming you have any.

PS. This thread was started by a Brit so maybe you Dingos should go start your own thread...

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

WTF... We were discussing tax on remitted income (granted, from the UK but we have the same questions as you Aussies) so absolutely on point for this thread. 

LMFAO, Australia is one of the few countries that does have a Withheld Tax (Franking) on Dividends so that discussion should have been of interest to you.... Assuming you have any.

Take off the blinkers and re-read the last page of threads (pretty well 100% UK tax discussions).  Start your own topic for those of you interested

Edited by dinga
spelling
  • Agree 2

Just now, dinga said:

Take off the blinkers and re-read the last page of threads (pretty well 100% UK tax discussions).  Start your own topic for those of you interested

Sorry too late with my edit, this thread was started by a Brit but thus far has been open to all for discussions, lets not let one page of discussions about a single country spoil it for all of us (Yes I am a Brit but I'm also interested in how US SS is treated & especially dividends in Australia).... Just scroll on if the post is not of interest to you. 

It's inevitable that people will go into details about their own circumstances but I think we can all learn something from each other so would be a shame to have this kind of discussion in a country specific thread

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Sorry too late with my edit, this thread was started by a Brit but thus far has been open to all for discussions, lets not let one page of discussions about a single country spoil it for all of us (Yes I am a Brit but I'm also interested in how US SS is treated & especially dividends in Australia).... Just scroll on if the post is not of interest to you. 

It's inevitable that people will go into details about their own circumstances but I think we can all learn something from each other so would be a shame to have this kind of discussion in a country specific thread

PS. This thread was started by a Brit so maybe you Dingos should go start your own thread...

Typical - Poms always the "moral winners".  

Pragmatism & reality is not a feature -  this thread is already 47 pages long, and has been hijacked with longwinded non-relevant commentary.  Why expect folks to page through so much irrelevancy on the basis that you think it of universal interest?

Simple solution - create a new UK thread [and other countries of individual interest] and let us decide whether to follow or not 

• Sad 3
  • Agree 2

Seven months into this, Thousands of replies, and we still don't have a clear understanding  of what all this mean. 

Typical Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dinga said:

Typical - Poms always the "moral winners".  

Pragmatism & reality is not a feature -  this thread is already 47 pages long, and has been hijacked with longwinded non-relevant commentary.  Why expect folks to page through so much irrelevancy on the basis that you think it of universal interest?

Simple solution - create a new UK thread [and other countries of individual interest] and let us decide whether to follow or not 

How is it non-relevant if we're discussing Tax on remitted income? What part of the thread title said "Australian Tax Discussions Only"?

If you want to start a thread discussing "Tax on remitted Australian Income" fill your boots, but why do you want to hijack a generic thread? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

How is it non-relevant if we're discussing Tax on remitted income? What part of the thread title said "Australian Tax Discussions Only"?

If you want to start a thread discussing "Tax on remitted Australian Income" fill your boots, but why do you want to hijack a generic thread? 

You are delusional (since when have I wanted to discuss remitted Australian Income?)

Enough for me - no point in further arguing the bleeding obvious and adding to non-relevant content when I sought to achieve the opposite. 

• Sad 1

Just now, dinga said:

You are delusional (since when have I wanted to discuss remitted Australian Income?)

Enough for me - no point in further arguing the bleeding obvious and adding to non-relevant content when I sought to achieve the opposite. 

Ok, so you're gripe is that we shouldn't discuss UK remitted income on here... Understood.... 

I'm off for a game of chess with a pigeon... 

image.jpeg.333500f00665dc761472fa3086299c64.jpeg

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

The thread that keep me laughing.  Keep it up PLEASE!!!!  As for me, I'm worrying endlessly about a an old tax law that might or might not be enforced and that might or might not impact farangs and that might or might not ....  Basically you guys have aquired more info since the first thread last year  with the purpose it seems to become more in the dark.   Basically as Mike Lister stated recently - It's Groundhog Day.

This is some entertaining shttt!

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Seven months into this, Thousands of replies, and we still don't have a clear understanding  of what all this mean. 

Typical Thailand 

how can we have a clear understanding when most of the provincial tax office staff probably don't have a clue either?

the whole thing is much more complicated and may end in chaos. specially when it comes to interpreting the TDA,

gains on stock shares, house sales, savings etc. 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

I think this is an easy determination.. 'Assessable' income is the amount sent in if you are tax resident, thats different from 'liability' to pay.. 

Do you need to file if not liable ? Or do you need to file asessable income anyway.. To be determined. 

Not for me - I have advice 'Not' - ask tax consultants and one might give you that advice too. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Would you like to quote a reputable source for that statment?  It appears to be directly at odds wth this:

Your UK residence status affects whether you need to pay tax in the UK on your foreign income.

Non-residents only pay tax on their UK income - they do not pay UK tax on their foreign income.

Residents normally pay UK tax on all their income, whether it’s from the UK or abroad. But there are special rules for UK residents whose permanent home (‘domicile’) is abroad.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence#:~:text=Non-residents only pay tax,'domicile') is abroad.

and this:

You usually have to pay tax on your UK income even if you’re not a UK resident. Income includes things like:

• pension
  • rental income
  • savings interest
  • wages

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

Pensions 100% not, I used to supply SIPP pensions from a previous business and the process is file a P85, obtain an NT tax code, do not get taxed at source. 

The only caveat for the UK is armed forces pensions and some senior civil servants which ARE always taxed at source. 

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension/tax-when-you-live-abroad#