British family leaves UK for Thailand for lower costs of living

webfact

3 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

I'll say this too: This is shoddy reporting. This is written by Asean Now and the writers there should know the reality of life in Thailand. This line really stood out at me: 

" Jessica has applied for a visa with the Thai Immigration Bureau, signalling their intent to make this a long-term move."

REALLY? You don't just apply for a visa to "signal intent to make this a long term move." There is no such visa for foreigners. There is a visa for work in their case. And they are too young to qualify for a retirement visa. And she is not married to a a Thai so no spousal visa. 

If she wanted to get a longer-term type visa. she has to put in many years until she can do that. 

You'd think the reporters in Thailand would know this. 

Correct. The story is way light on proper detail.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do those two in the picture look to you like they are over 60?

I didn't say they did, I was simply refering to the reply to my post - in factual terms. Just as the statement that 'prescriptions are not free in the UK' was incorrect.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I didn't say they did, I was simply refering to the reply to my post - in factual terms. Just as the statement that 'prescriptions are not free in the UK' was incorrect.

You have my quote wrong. I said England, not the UK.

I agree it's over 60 in England and Wales (yes, I should have said Wales as well). I should have mentioned it but this couple are clearly nowhere near that age, as someone else has pointed out. So it's irrelevant to the story, as was the follow-up comment about state pension age (which I'd never mentioned...).

We digress...

Edited by MarkyM3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

Since when did I talk about state pension age......?

You Liverpool Lou in disguise? 😄

You referred to there being a lot of pensioners on the forum and that prescriptions are not free. I was simply pointing out that firstly people over 60 DO get free prescriptions but they are no longer eligible for state pension at 60.

'OK but the people in question aren't 60 though are they.....I know there's a lot of pensioners on the forum but most people living in the UK aren't.....'

Edited by MangoKorat

Just now, MangoKorat said:

You referred to there being a lot of pensioners on the forum and that prescriptions are not free. I was simply pointing out that firstly people over 60 DO get free prescriptions but they are no longer eligible for state pension at 60.

OK but the people in question aren't 60 though are they.....I know there's a lot of pensioners on the forum but most people living in the UK aren't.....

This conversation is pointless....you have the last word OK. Absolutely irrelevant to the point of the story but hey 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, thesetat said:

You do not actually believe the drivel this story is dishing out, do you?

I believe they are moving to Thailand but I don't believe for the reasons they state - unless they are as gormless as the bloke I met in Abu Dhabi and I guarantee that despite what he said, he'd met a Thai woman and was about to lose everything he had - p*ssy whipped.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A determined British mother has relocated her family to Thailand to escape the worsening cost of living crisis in Britain. Jessica Ward, originally from Congleton in Cheshire, took the bold step with her partner and young daughter, Cece, seeking a more affordable and stress-free life abroad.

Jessica, her partner, and Cece moved to Thailand in January 2024, captivated by the country's warm climate and lower living costs. The move was driven by a combination of soaring energy bills, heightened inflation, and a surge in mental health issues linked to the UK government's controversial 'net-zero' climate policies.

These policies, amidst the backdrop of geopolitical instability and supply chain disruptions, contributed significantly to the financial strain felt by many UK households.

The family quickly adapted to their new life in Thailand, where Cece is now enrolled in preschool, and they reside comfortably in a sun-drenched villa. Jessica has applied for a visa with the Thai Immigration Bureau, signalling their intent to make this a long-term move.

Jessica told GB News that the decision to relocate was spurred by the alarming cost of living back home. She noted that their energy bills had become untenable, driven up by stringent government policies aimed at reducing carbon emissions.

Despite widespread public backlash, these measures had been pushed through by the UK's two-party political system, leaving many families like Jessica's grappling with financial hardship.

The move to Thailand has provided the Ward family with a fresh start, free from the economic pressures weighing heavily on many Britons. Jessica mentioned that other UK families are also considering similar relocations, as the appeal of a more affordable and relaxed lifestyle becomes increasingly attractive in light of ongoing financial challenges at home.

In summary, Jessica Ward's relocation to Thailand - amidst Britain's economic turmoil - exemplifies a growing trend among UK families seeking refuge from the harsh realities of the current cost of living crisis.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I wonder how they earn their living in Thailand? 

No social hammock, no health insurance. Good luck😳

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given they are not receiving a pension, and sun drenched villas are not cheap, one wonders how they are financing their "new life". One hope that he has a work permit for whatever it is.

PS, have they taken the cost of health care insurance into consideration? No NHS in LOS.

She is probably an influencer or some such nonsense. Or at least some job that can be done from afar.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

This conversation is pointless....you have the last word OK. Absolutely irrelevant to the point of the story but hey 

Don't take it personally - there's a method to my madness - on several occasions I have been admonished for posting correct material that 'someone' considered to be wrongful information - I'm just making a point - not to you - apologies.

• Like 1

I am wondering if Cece is a UK born partner, or from Thailand originally, if that is the case

they may do all right.  Good luck to them, as if they get homesick, they better keep at least enough money to get back to 

the UK with their belongings.  Another factor to consider is the hot weather, wet weather, and humid weather if near the ocean, or smog, or air pollution

in Bangkok and the north half of Thailand some days. There are tropical diseases to consider as well, dengue, malaryia , and many others.

They are young, so good luck for sure, I am a bit jealous. 555

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChasingTheSun said:

White flight. Expect much more of it going forward.

USA, Canada, UK, EU, ANZ fast becoming no-go zones for the working class natives.

The working class natives are prospering in the US    don't expect it from America.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1