One dead, 30 injured in Singapore Airlines emergency landing

2 minutes ago, happysoul said:

2 years ago, coming back to Thailand with my daughter, Etihad flight "fell" for about 1-2 seconds. The person next to me had a half full glass of beer, not a single drop left in the glass after the fall (I got a free beer shower). 2 rows in front, 2 girls hadn't buckled strong enough, they hit the above head lamps. Some shouting when it happened and complete silence for 5-10min after. I asked the flight attendant how much severe it was on a scale from 1 to 10. She answered 6-7 saying that the locked trolleys remained in place what is not always the case when 9-10. Made me smile 😉

From that experience, when I hear the pilot saying "cabin crew, take your seats" I buckle up tight and always keep my seatbelt buckled when seated (loose but buckled). And unfortunately I'm more stressed (scared) than before when turbulences start although I love the rollercoaster feel it provided.

When seeing the mess in that aircraft, It must have been some 10 level turbulences. For sure some people will have hard times boarding again.

143 of the 229 have flown onto Singapore already.

85 are still in Bangkok.

1 sadly only has a final journey.

12 hours ago, Puccini said:

I have never seen an AOT nurse shirt, but would it really have that Chinese text in the last line on the back?

"For reference" tells me that it is definitely not from the plane that is the subject of this topic.

Most of the rescue services in Thailand are all volunteers (not sure about arrangements at the airports), and started as Thai-Chinese Buddhist Organisations. Examples include the Por Tek Tung in Bangkok and Sawang Boriboon in Pattaya.

That explains the use of Chinese script on their logos etc.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Thank you, but if you read the posts that I was replying to, you will understand how painful it has been to try to help that poster understand.

I understand George. Have to educate these amateur, and misguided, posters.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Most of the rescue services in Thailand are all volunteers (not sure about arrangements at the airports), and started as Thai-Chinese Buddhist Organisations. Examples include the Por Tek Tung in Bangkok and Sawang Boriboon in Pattaya.

That explains the use of Chinese script on their logos etc.

I believe AOT Medical Services at the airport are supported by Samitivej Hospital. 

Below is a picture from AOT showing their medical teams.

The doctor is wearing a AOT bib very similar to the nurse pictured standing in the original post.

IMG_5777.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I understand George. Have to educate these amateur, and misguided, posters.

i can only post facts and information, I can not make anyone understand.

• Agree 2

I always have my seat belt buckled during my flights, unless i am up to go to the bathroom.

People who take their seat belts off in flight, are foolish. maybe this incident will make a few more

better educated, that CAtS or Clear Air Turbulance can happen at any time.  I did work at an airport for my

whole career, so I guess i was a bit more aware and more cautious, because of my job.

Not retired, I am still cautious.

• Thumbs Up 1

A Clear Air Turbulant is not visible, so any aircraft can go through these turbulance, and there is not 

warning. That is why the pilots did not get any warning them selves.  keep your seat belt fastened for the whole flight, you can loosen it

a bit, but never take it off entirely. That has been my advice to my friends for years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

we all gunna cark it at some stage.

Tough call to blame mid-air turbulance as the root cause, coulda been at home on the toilet having a <deleted> ..... blame the toilet ?

Maybe time to stop posting. If this is an effort at humour it's not a good one. If it isn't then maybe you shouldn't start .......... so early in the day.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, happysoul said:

2 years ago, coming back to Thailand with my daughter, Etihad flight "fell" for about 1-2 seconds. The person next to me had a half full glass of beer, not a single drop left in the glass after the fall (I got a free beer shower). 2 rows in front, 2 girls hadn't buckled strong enough, they hit the above head lamps. Some shouting when it happened and complete silence for 5-10min after. I asked the flight attendant how much severe it was on a scale from 1 to 10. She answered 6-7 saying that the locked trolleys remained in place what is not always the case when 9-10. Made me smile 😉

From that experience, when I hear the pilot saying "cabin crew, take your seats" I buckle up tight and always keep my seatbelt buckled when seated (loose but buckled). And unfortunately I'm more stressed (scared) than before when turbulences start although I love the rollercoaster feel it provided.

When seeing the mess in that aircraft, It must have been some 10 level turbulences. For sure some people will have hard times boarding again.

Edit : the Etihad pilot had some humor in his landing speach, saying "Oh, and sorry for the bumpy ride" 🙂

I had a similar experience 35 years ago , flying out of Logan Airport Boston USA . When we took off the sky was blue on one side but black on the other . After 20 minutes drinks were served and I had a whiskey . All of a sudden the plane dropped like a stone . My drink disappeared behind me and in the aisle was the stewardess laid down and holding on the the trolley . At the same time a big American guy sat in front of me shouted out  " Holy xxxxing xxit , were going down " . I was terrified and when it all settled down I asked the stewardess if that was the worse turbulence that she had experienced . She said no , there was an event where the food trolley hit the ceiling . I was once a nervous flyer but I find that a couple of beers negates that plus helps me sleep . Sear belt , always have it on and not loose . If on a long haul flight and there are empty seats it is possible to lay out ( 4 seats in a row ) . If wearing a blanket I always place the seat belt outside of the blanket so that the flight attendants do not bother to check if I am wearing the belt under the blanket and waking me up .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

A Clear Air Turbulant is not visible, so any aircraft can go through these turbulance, and there is not 

warning. That is why the pilots did not get any warning them selves.  keep your seat belt fastened for the whole flight, you can loosen it

a bit, but never take it off entirely. That has been my advice to my friends for years.

How do you go to the toilet? Walking around is recommended to avoid deep vein thrombosis especially on long haul flight. It's obviously not pratical to stay belted up all the time. When seated certainly though.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Gets the old sphincter going doesn't it. I had two fly arounds on a DC 10 landing in Mumbai, India on the edge of a cyclone. 1st time in we broke through the low cloud at a very, very disturbing angle of approach. 2nd time wind sheer. 3rd time lucky but it was a bit of a hard landing. Cabin crew looked terrified. I had a very quick word with the co-pilot when disembarking. I asked him if we were lucky. His answer was yes. He looked shaken as did the crew and the passengers. Never forget that one that's for sure.

The hard landing is deliberate to ensure the aircraft stays on the tarmac and not bounce up again due to severe winds. I'd say it was the skill of the pilot following his training rather than luck. Friend is a BA captain who when confronted with strong winds on landing refers to banging it down to make sure it stays down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

It is reported that he had a suspected heart attack, but what caused it has not been disclosed.

It could be purely from the experience, or it could have been when or if, he hit the ceiling .

The investigation will answer that.

I have not heard that report.  It is possible, I suppose, but still not related to failure to wear a seat belt during landing.  And, if true, the Heart Attack is due to the accident anyway. 

Btw, the official name of a Heart Attack is Cardiac Arrest.  Which just means the heart stopped.  Yes, normally, death will cause the heart to stop. 

It is far to soon to say the heart stopped due to a bad heart.  Whomever reported that could not know.

Although this was obviously an accident and apparently the Pilots did a good job getting the jet on the ground, there are still people who want to defend Singapore Air and blame the passengers.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Parker2100 said:

I have not heard that report.  It is possible, I suppose, but still not related to failure to wear a seat belt during landing.  And, if true, the Heart Attack is due to the accident anyway. 

Btw, the official name of a Heart Attack is Cardiac Arrest.  Which just means the heart stopped.  Yes, normally, death will cause the heart to stop. 

It is far to soon to say the heart stopped due to a bad heart.  Whomever reported that could not know.

Although this was obviously an accident and apparently the Pilots did a good job getting the jet on the ground, there are still people who want to defend Singapore Air and blame the passengers.

Sorry but not sure what reports you are reading, but every news site reports that he is suspected to have had a “myocardial infarction”.

This incident did not occur on landing, the aircraft was a full flight height and hit some form of turbulence. Passengers not wearing seat belts were thrown around the cabin.

The pilot declared an emergency and diverted to Bangkok so the passengers could receive medical attention.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have spent a great deal of time in the US and have noticed that Americans often have difficulty in saying what they actually mean and resort to making oblique statements instead. This is a good example, and he had to translate himself into English. I am assuming he is American, but I'd say that's a given as 'dude' was also used in his incompressible sentence.

Americans don't use the phrase "chuck a cardy "  or whatever the hell he said.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I always stay belted up expect for going to the dunny.

Exactly! I fly often and many around me unfasten their belts. I never do.  It even makes me nervous when I have to get up and use the toilet. I go in, do my business, wash my  hands, and get out and back to my seat as soon as possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Parker2100 said:

A heart attack is different to cardiac arrest. A heart attack is a myocardial infarction which is caused by a blockage to the heart so oxygenated blood can't get to the heart and a cardiac arrest is more of an electronic failing leading to the heart muscles failing to beat properly or stop beating altogether.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, TDCNINJA said:

Exactly! I fly often and many around me unfasten their belts. I never do.  It even makes me nervous when I have to get up and use the toilet. I go in, do my business, wash my  hands, and get out and back to my seat as soon as possible. 

Long haul flights are different but not by much. A bit of a walk around to get the circulation going, getting up to order a drink is my preference, then sit down, belt-up and booze on.

1 hour ago, Parker2100 said:

Why post something you obviously don't understand at all.  As pointed out already, they are not the same.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It would appear that the plane was close to falling apart. I know that the oxygen masks are supposed to deploy in an emergency but should the air vents be falling down and injuring passengers? The turbulence must have been off the scale!

Can you not read?

those sections are damaged because not wearing seatbelts were bouncing off the ceiling. 

17 minutes ago, BerndD said:

This is not a recent photo of this incident! File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

This was the incident yesterday, it was added to the original post later. It has been explained before if you read the thread.

Look at the link below to a credible aviation accident site and guess what, they are using the picture!

https://avherald.com/h?article=518e5d47&opt=0

Posted (edited)

Short on time so apologies if this has been covered but there was an update on here last night stating that a second passenger had died.

The BBC are still reporting one death.  In just one radio report this morning they said that the wife of the man who died had been taken to hospital but her condition was unknown. 

Do we know if there actually is a second death or is it poor reporting again?

Edited by MangoKorat

3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Short on time so apologies if this has been covered but there was an update on here last night stating that a second passenger had died.

The BBC are still reporting one death.  In just one radio report this morning they said that the wife of the man who died had been taken to hospital but her condition was unknown. 

Do we know if there actually is a second death or is it poor reporting again?

Singapore Airline has issued 5 updates about the incident and are still stating 1 death.

No official source has said 2 deaths.

This seemed to have been a rumor that grew on social media last night, maybe caused by the chaos of a mass casualty event and miscommunications.

Some of the passengers are reported as in a serious condition in hospital.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, newnative said:

Very poorly written inaccurate article.  Maybe take a second stab at it.

Many are the same  and have been for a few months. Lots of members have commented but nothing changes.  I suspect AN is using AI - if they are and that's the reason for all these inaccurate and puzzling news reports then perhaps the 'game changing tech' ain't all its cracked up to be.

In addition to the inaccuracies, there's also been some very odd use of the English language.  Technically correct but several old fashioned/rarely used words.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, RobU said:

There was no signal from the pilot the air pocket they hit was totally unexpected 

Not so according to CNN’s Erin Burnett, the pilots put on  the seatbelt sign and moments later hit  the air pocket.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

How do you go to the toilet? Walking around is recommended to avoid deep vein thrombosis especially on long haul flight. It's obviously not pratical to stay belted up all the time. When seated certainly though.

My experience with Asian airlines (Singapore, Korean, Chinese, Thai...) is the pilots are likely to leave the seat belt sign on for the entire 10-13 hour flight.  I prefer the US based pilots who will announce that they're turning it off so we can move around and use the head, BUT warn that turbulence can be unexpected, so leave it fastened while you're seated. 

If the seatbelt sign is on for 13 hours, you never know when it's safe to hit the head and avoid soiling the seat.

Edit:  On the flipside, I much prefer the Asian cabin crews.  I've concluded that the US airlines choose their international cabin crews by seniority, and they are often tired of their job and surly.  Not all.  Some are delightful.  But on average... 

Edited by impulse