New school year, same old story: Thailand’s education system ‘stuck in the past’

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s education is still stuck in the 2.0 era instead of stepping into the 5.0 era

Did this guy think they would take 3 step in 1 year? He better look at history. 1 step in 40 years 🙂 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

One girl was sitting under the desk and using her books to lean on.  Never seen that before.  Maybe one of the chief liaison executive head of officers could use their paycheck to buy some desks.

I swear you could loose 50 percent of the staff and no one would notice.

Making the school day end later has also added to accidents on the roads.  I saw two yesterday.  The day before someone drove up a lamppost and flipped their car.  20 minutes drive has become 2 hours.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The policy is easy, don't educate the people properly as they start to think and see what is going on in the country. That will become a threat to the rich and wealthy , the army and the Government and they will loose their power and grip on the people...No the people have to stay ignorant and those who stand up are putting in jail to prevent that their example will be followed. Talking about updating education will keep the people calm, but it will never happen. Living in Thailand for a long time already I haven't seen nothing new in schools..Only less foreign teachers, as they are being seen to as a threat, because they have Western ideas and could influence the kids.

Oh my goodness! Such seditious thoughts.

As for keeping calm and in lieu of education, I much prefer lao-khao.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The following Monday I tried applying that lesson in one of my classes.

How were you doing that?

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

A supervisor walked by and shut me down quick, fast, and in a hurry.

How quickly was this assessment made?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.png

Students returned to school for the new academic year last week – but most found that little had changed in Thailand’s subpar education system.

“Thailand’s education is still stuck in the 2.0 era instead of stepping into the 5.0 era,” prominent educator Assoc Prof Dr Sompong Jitradub commented at the start of the 2024 academic year.

He said the country’s much-hyped educational reforms were mostly physical and focused on things like buildings, cleaner toilets, the hiring of school janitors and administrative staff, as well as higher pay for teachers.

But reforms tackling the essence of education have simply not materialized, he added.

That view is backed by the latest Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), in which Thai children’s academic performance was the lowest since the country joined the program in the early 2000s.

Thai kids scored an average of less than 50% in all subjects assessed by PISA, which is run by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

‘No progress’ under current government

Sompong said the current government has made no real progress since announcing its policy statement eight months ago.

There has neither been real educational reform nor a significant reduction of longstanding educational inequality, he said.

For decades, the performance of rural schools in Thailand has significantly lagged behind their urban counterparts.

“From what I’ve observed, the government has merely been repairing the current education system.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-05-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Everything runs perfect for Thailand's political Elite.

Keep the IQ as low as possible. No or low education. Keep them stupid, keep them uniformed, keep them playing with Facebook, TikTok, Line also.

I wonder when students go to the streets and demand better education? 🙏

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Functions as designed.

Beat discipline into students.

Teach prostration.

Haircuts.

Uniforms.

Bad food.

Rote learning.

Poor results.

The last thing the power-that-be wants is an educated populace.

And don't forget, during exam tests as long as they spell their name right at the top of the page they have passed!!!! Hooray!!!😏😏😏😏

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Functions as designed.

Beat discipline into students.

Teach prostration.

Haircuts.

Uniforms.

Bad food.

Rote learning.

Poor results.

The last thing the power-that-be wants is an educated populace.

You missed days and days of playing, football, volleyball, cricket.

When I went to school it was one afternoon a week.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Well, people are in employment in business, banking, govt and the military and are attending and graduating from colleges and universities.

So many when they apply  themselves must be receiving an education.

59 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Private schools, plagiarized work, and fake degrees.

Exactly. If Pop has enough money, he can even “buy” the entry to one of those many, so-called Universities. And, if it's necessary, even a 3rd class degree. This might open the door to an admin-, or behind the counter job, in a “5-star ghetto”, and other “tourism” business.
Or as a “supervising” photo-copy shoveler in a 7/11 branch.
Due to the lack of English, even at “University” level, a low paid government job (“ the best to rest”),
in a nice, and “respected” uniform is mostly preferred.
The rest can be happy, to get a job as an “unskilled” laborer, or maybe checkout girl/man, in 7/11-kind enterprise branches, for the minimum wage.
All other carriers, are basing on a decent, expensive education, or the individual's will to self-educate.
The System aims, and provides the needed all round education only in very small margins.
To change that, it needs a large part of the above-mentioned, 3rd class, “academic”, work-force to be replaced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1