Thaksin Shinawatra’s Influence Revives Political Cynicism in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

This has made many people doubtful and upset, contributing to a growing belief that you can't really trust political leaders anymore.

I must say, people here are really quick to react.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

His quick comeback and fast release from custody have led people to think that the Thai justice system might be unfairly in his favor

A misunderstanding surely!

This situation clearly illustrates the magnificent Thai prison medical services that cured this sickly old man so he could spend time with the grandchildren..... 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

I could have sworn he was weak, frail, and on his death bed.  Now! 

A Miraculous Recovery! Energy galore!  Negotiating with Myanmar Rebels!  Coordinating Political Strategies.  Healthy As an Ox!

It's a MIRACLE!  Hallelujah!!! Praise be to Buddha!  🙏

You are almost correct.

It is amazing how 6 months rest, care, attention and perhaps exercise will aid recovery, and NO, recovery is not instantaneous or miraculous but hard work, especially as you get older.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaksin Shinawatra's return to the political spotlight reveals significant ramifications for Thailand’s already tumultuous political landscape. The former prime minister, recently rehabilitated and freed from a short stint of detention, is making waves, casting a long shadow over the nation's politics.

What ?

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

He is possibly the only politician who can wrest power from the generals.

Pick your poison folk.

So you prefer pest for colera? I want neither!

7 minutes ago, Geir Rasch said:

So you prefer pest for colera? I want neither!

Not a problem.

All you need to do is to vote  for the party that you want in power and persuade every Thai that you know to vote the same way as you.

Of course if you don't have a vote, then like the rest of us non-voters. you will just have tp accept the results, want or not want.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Not a problem.

All you need to do is to vote  for the party that you want in power and persuade every Thai that you know to vote the same way as you.

Of course if you don't have a vote, then like the rest of us non-voters. you will just have tp accept the results, want or not want.

You are right: we just have to accept the outcome, we do not have a say in it. But that does not exclude me from having an opinion. If it goes to far to the right we have the option to leave the country, but for most thai that is not an option, and for them it is a tragedy.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, webfact said:

His actions starkly manifest a perceived erosion of institutional justice and a flagrant disregard for ethical norms.

Well said .

Contributing to a growing belief that you can't really trust political leaders anymore.

Never did .

His meetings with former Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, along with engagement with conflict factions in Myanmar, position him as an unofficial but potent actor in regional politics. These manoeuvres complicate Thailand's official foreign policy and raise concerns over potential conflicts of interest and the sidelining of formal diplomatic channels.

While still in Dubai , I guess he read Trump's book " the art of the deal " ...

Than he struck his ' secret deal ' , but with whom ...?

I guess with someone in a higher position than the generals ...

Anyway , he does not seem to know when it is time to just shut up .

He seems to try to climb up a ' slippery slope ' ... that could make him sliding onto thin  ice ... and breaking it ...

Pardon the allegorism ...

Edited by nobodysfriend

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

It's just a question of how much damage he's allowed to do to the country before the military decides to eject him again. Of course, things have changed since 2006, and the soldiers probably won't find it so easy this time, if you know what I mean. <wink>

Not really!!

Thaksin Shinawatra’s Influence Revives Political Cynicism in Thailand

Another rediculous headline. For something to be revived it must have at one time or another stopped. If and I say IF anyone wasn't cynical of Thai politics before the last election they sure are now. Let's face it cynicism is a synonym for Thai politics and always has been. So no rivival. Continuence is the term.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, GrungthepGringo said:

I much preferred the neck-brace shoulder-sling look. Now he's back to exactly what he was doing 12 years ago before he decided to go become a naturalized citizen in Montenegro and then went for an extended holiday in Dubai.

And for his next act? Maybe a war on drugs? Crushing dissent in the deep South? Some dodgy land deals? Selling billions in stock shares through a Singaporean shell company and evading Thai income tax? Increasing the financial requirements for retirement visas? The world is your oyster Tony. 

Maybe HE can do something about the air pollution which seems forgotten already until next time.

Edited by Captor
  • Haha 1